I can't decide what to do with my life

Discussion in 'General' started by Surfer36, Oct 18, 2012.

1. I'm a college sophomore, and though I am currently pursuing a degree in business (finance) I really can't see myself being a suit wearing cubicle drone all my life.

I want to get out and experience the world, nature, be outside and enjoy my life.

I don't want to be that guy that sucks it up and settles for the safety net, and chooses a career path like I am to get a job and be safe (but nowadays, what's safe in the job market anyways) and always have the hindsight of what I should/shouldn't have done.

I simply don't want to have that type of lifestyle.

But I don't know what I want to do, you know? How am I supposed to know at 20 years old what my life passion is?

And as much as I don't want to do that, I don't know what else I would do, and I feel like time is just flying by as I get closer and closer to having to decide.

Any advice?

Thanks everyone

2. this is my plan, maybe it could help you

1) this is most likely whats gonna happen

im going to learn how to weld, move to cali and get my license, skate smoke and live all my life

or

2) if really fuck up to the point where no one wants me around, i'll just go to tibet or somewhere else and become a buddhist monk.

it sounds weird but it makes perfect sense

3. i know exactly how you feel. our society goes completely against what humans should be doing.

4. Yeah man I just want to live, find what I want to do and do it. But i just don't know what that is yet, and I feel like I'm just at a crossroads. I could switch majors, keep on going as is, or save myself tens of thousands of dollars of student debt and find a career without college.

College is just such an industry anymore, and society just pounds it into your head that its what you NEED to do, when I have no idea what it really is that I want.

I come from a fairly affluent area too, to not go to college is taboo, it's disgusting

5. There's no harm in taking time off to figure out what you want to do. If you're going for business right now, well that's safe with a variety of options. You could become a manager, and managers are needed everywhere - even wildlife resorts. Nowadays to do what you want to do, you have to think outside of the box.

If you can, spend winter break doing some traveling. It's helped a lot of people experience something they find they're passionate about.

If you don't know what you want, try, try, until you can't try any more! :smoke:

6. You already have credits, get a degree and suck it up. Maybe only minor in business or try and go with something slightly more interesting like international business. You could change your major altogether. But you need a degree if you want to be able to compete in the job market and make a good salary.

7. Im in the exact same position. Im a college sophomore still undecided in my major and everyone just pressures you to pick something. Its crazy. I just want to travel to different countries and experience different cultures and find out what i want to do that way, but like you said society just pounds it into you that you HAVE to go to college. And meanwhile build up a ton of debt.

8. I totally get you man... I was just about to post a thread almost exactly like this.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore...

9. I think most people go through something like this at some point in their life.

Hell, I have a degree in criminal justice and I don't even want to work in the CJ field! :p

10. #10 221010, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2012
    You don't need to know what you're going to do. I think its great that you're pursuing a degree, even if you're not necessarily going to wind up in the certain career path that you think it'll lead to.

Time will pass either way - three years will go by, and you may as well come out of those three years with a degree. If you didn't do the degree because you didn't know what you want to do - you may come out of those three years without a degree or a clue. The degree might help you figure out a career path. The great news for you is that business degrees are versatile - you could end up as a finance manager for a chain of bong/vape stores in the legalized world, or some other position which really strikes your interests!

Along the path you'll eventually figure out where abouts you want to head in life, and as long as you're doing something productive with your time - you can't go wrong. Continue with your degree with a positive head and I'm sure you'll find something over the next few years!

Good luck! :)

EDIT: And you *can* be outside and enjoying your life with a career. You know what you want, and you'll find a career that's suitable for you - one that fulfills your needs and keeps you happy. And if you're happy - what more matters?

11. I know I've got credits, but some jobs require just having some credits, and sucking it up also means sucking up a substantial more amount of debt.

There's just too many factors at play really I feel like to make a call like that, so much stuff and so little time.

12. do u even smoke

13. Is welding a good paying job? or does it happen to just be an interest of yours?

14. Am I the only one that understand what op is actually trying to say?

15. [quote name='"ptownroll"']Am I the only one that understand what op is actually trying to say?[/quote]

That he's unsure of what he wants to do with his future and feels he may be incurring debt just to be unhappy?

Yeah, you're probably the only one. The rest of us live perfect lives.

16. What does this have to do with anything?

17. Well you have plenty of options.

You can work hard now and when you are older you can play. You can become a business man and live a boring 9-5 life. With a career you can get a car, a companion (who in turn can help you both physically, mentally, and financially), a home etc. All of this can be guaranteed with a good paying job. This takes work and sacrifices will be made. Society will give you a pat on the back. Nothing wrong with that. You can live happy ever after.

Or

You can live life now. What is stopping you from traveling? Nothing. You can easily drop your life right now and become someone else. Don't ever let anyone control your life. Of course there are good people with good intentions and with valuable advice but you don't have to do anything. You were brought into this world against your will and now you must conform to the society that is present. How come I'm not allowed to get naked and live anywhere I please? This planet belongs to me as well. It belongs to everyone.

We let other animals live freely. Why can't we live freely? Right,we are humans and we are capable of thinking for ourselves. We might conjure up ideas that go against the establishment. That is a no no.

18. Pretty unrelated question, but yeah.

Just because I smoke doesn't mean I don't have any worries or conundrums in life

19. juss wonderin thats all..goddamn

20. @pulsewidth

That makes a lot of sense, and i understand exactly what you're saying, and I feel that's the conclusion I've found myself making most of the time too.

But maybe I'm just unrealistic, but I can't help but desire to find that career that is my passion, I only have one life to live, I don't see why I or anybody really should settle for anything less.

I know it's naive to expect that, but who can blame me? you know?