I believe in the right to die.

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by MariaJuana92, Nov 1, 2012.

1. There is always some chance of survival thought

2. I believe too.
    When it's my time, if I keep going to sleep on you when you visit, you should probably get off your high horse.
    I might just be telling you something

3. Tell that to my dead father.

4. Exactly Chief...people who have depression (and are otherwise healthy)to the point that to them suicide is the only out...well I don't think they fully realize the finality of their action.

5. What if the person has HIV/AIDS and is reaching the end of their lifespan and getting sicker and sicker everyday?
    What if someone has a malignant cancer with a life expectancy of 6months and 5% chance of living with treatment?

Sure, there may be hope to keep this person alive and healthy but is it likely? Probably not. I think it should be up to the person in these types of situations. Although if it was me I have to admit I'd just find a peaceful place to off myself.

6. Legalizing MJ would give added hope to those who want to die as a result of their terminal illnesses.

With a cannon in my lips, I'd be like, get the fuck away from that plug and grab me a lighter.....

7. Ahhh...okay, now I get it I had no idea that it was called that, I thought it was something else and legal in some areas..

I was kindve tipsy when I read this, made me think of something else :p

8. Depending on the disease, this is like saying there's "some chance" a person would survive a four foot long railroad spike shooting through their brain just because Phineas Gage survived it when it happened to him.

What's your point, anyway?

9. I've heard that on rare occasions cancer can go into remission by itself. Nobody knows why, but that really isn't the point -- the wishes of the patient are what's important. To keep someone in that condition alive against their wishes is selfish.

My best friend's mother, who I knew all my life, had uterine cancer at age 85, went through one round of chemo, and was so sick she wanted nothing more to do with any of it; she wanted to die. So she did a short while later.

My own mother wanted to die, although she didn't really have a terminal illness. My father had died 2 years previously and she started rejecting food, she simply did not want to eat, and she finally told us she just wanted to die. She was 86, and did die a few weeks later.

We could have easily kept her alive by having a feeding tube put in, but she didn't want that, she wanted to die. That was the toughest decision me and my sisters had ever made, but we knew we had to honor her wishes. To go against them was to be selfish on our part. WE wanted her alive, but she didn't want to be.

So that was that. It's not all about what science is capable of, or what the odds are of someone making it -- the patient's wishes must come first.

10. My respect to you Fizz,
    My dad went through the same thing and we did as he wanted.

11. Thank you sir(?) ma'am(?), same to you. :)

12. Depression isnt curable, its treatable like cancer or AIDs. I think that if someone is depressed for years and all treatments have failed them and they have no one who will miss them, then suicide is a valid option.

13. There's a really good documentary on an advocate of this subject, Jack Kevorkian. It's called You Don't Know Jack, but I have to agree. Its your life, you choose what you want to do with it. How is the government going to tell you what you can and cannot do with your own body? I find that absolutely fucking insane.

14. Heh, "Doctor Death" as he was called.

He was helping people commit suicide 15-20 years ago and it caused a huge stink here in this country. Back then I was opposed to assisted suicide, but life's experiences since then have changed my mind.

When my time comes, I would like to have the option. Fuck the government and their laws.

15. [quote name='"Fizzly"']
    Heh, "Doctor Death" as he was called.

He was helping people commit suicide 15-20 years ago and it caused a huge stink here in this country. Back then I was opposed to assisted suicide, but life's experiences since then have changed my mind.

When my time comes, I would like to have the option. Fuck the government and their laws.[/quote]

Growing up I thought he was evil and shit but now my eyes have been opened to what he actually was doing, and believe it or not he was helping sick people pass peacefully.

16. My point is there isn't some black and white line to whenther it's absolutely ok to kill someone and it's not, there is just a bunch of gray area in the middle.

17. Sir, was my dad, I'm a Mr....;)

18. Depression and physical illness both cause serious mental distress; therefore death should always be a viable option.

Life and death shouldn't be perceived as good and bad, respectively, imo. I believe non-experience to simply be an alternative to suffering if a sufficient level of happiness cannot be achieved.

The legality of suicide is irrelevant; this is the same group of people who lock up harmless folk for possessing a plant. I mean honestly, does anyone take the gov't seriously anymore?

19. Depression severely clouds judgement, that's why assisted suicide shouldn't be an option for depressed individuals. There's plenty of days where I feel like offing myself, but after I settle down a little bit I realize how irrational and unhealthy that thinking is.

20. if we all smoked weed and took zanex the world would be pretty cool...