I am!

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by chronictoker, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Ok I don't usually make new threads in this place, but why not...ok so I'm thinking about like for instance being a Christian. I would not say I believe anymore, but I was a believing Christian, should I still consider myself a Christian or not? I've been doing some reading, and Jews for instance believe 'once a jew, always a jew' and if you reject judaism that doesn't mean you aren't still a jew, you just aren't a practicing one. And I'm thinking that's not such a bad philosophy bc you never really lose those parts of you, the experiences you have are yours forever, they are a part of you that as long as you're alive and functioning you never lose...It's like if you lose a loved one, you don't just forget them and move on with your life they'll always remain vivid in your memories, and your subconscious ...

So, I'm a Christian atheist...cool:cool: . I realize this is a pathetically simple topic, however, I think it's a good point to make, perhaps. Too often we convert and revert, and think we can make a clean break from our 'old self' and we purge our consciousness we don't acknowledge we are one and the same...

2. Bro... [...there was this unbelievable pause.] Love whom you will and revel in such ecstasy because this life is as short as one good grunting shit. Our everyday routines tell us not to feel how things really are but it doesn't mean that there isn't a feeling about all this.
    <O:p</O:p
    [I just mustered the strength to say stay green.]

3. i think if you are looking at spirituality in a christian context - or contrasing other ideas to christian ones - then u can def say u are a non-practicing christian. maybe someday for u u will find ur own veiw of christainity to live by.

i think when u are raised in something - ecspecially deeply so - it will always effect you somehow. it will always be in there - so even if u do not beleive in a god christian atheist will still be be more accurate description of ur outlook.

4. you are chronictoker, you arent christian atheist, you dont need some label to determine what group you belong to. you dont need to belong to a group to feel good about yourself. you dont need some group to define your belief system, 2 simple words cant define who you are, every word in websters cant define who you are.

5. I was born and raised Catholic.

If people want to consider me Christian, go for it.

I do not consider myself Christian. I do not believe in organized religion.

6. I've been baptized ((dunno the difference between a lot of religions, not too into it)) So... i guess u could say im baptist? ehh is that how it works? I dunno. lol

7. That's what the religion says... but a religion can't label you... only you can label yourself.

8. To be a Christian you have to have belief till death. When you have no belief you are non-theist. Other words atheist. Christians have to keep faith till the second they die;)

9. i still believe in something much greater t han myself..but lost faith in organized religins of all kinds long ago...s o what am i?

10. I worship my water bong... lol :D

11. agnostic?

12. Friend, listen:

You are you. You do not need to label yourself, it will help no one. This is why I hate organized religion. No one person believes the exact same thing as another.

Believe what you believe in, there is no need to have a name for what you believe in.

13. believe what?
    ?

I AM!
    :)

AM I?
    :D
    I ASK "AM I?" THEREFORE I AM.
    :laughing:

ps, no frettin about startin topics dude. this one was started off in class style.

14. I consider myself a Christian because I believe Jesus was the Messiah. Not because someone else labeled me that. I don't go to church anymore due mostly to the "holier than thou" attitude that's so prevalent in ALL churches. Nor do I label myself as any particular denomination - though doctrinally speaking, I could be considered a Fundamental Baptist. I share a lot of beliefs with them, but not all. I don't like labeling myself. I just tell most people now that I believe in Jesus, and the love of God, and being kind to my fellow man. I believe in living life while you're here, because it's short, and we only get one chance.

15. yeah...that is not such a bad way to put it...

i never feel everyone is on the same track....

but that does not mean anyone has to be wroung

16. Unwillingness to let go of tradition is a big part of what's keeping judeochristianity from being buried in the annals of human history where it belongs

17. somewhat good way to put it i thought too.
    worthy of the wisdom quotes thread? ooh, not quite, but a close contender. reworded for fancieness and it'll be there. :D

18. That... And no one can prove that it's incorrect...

19. Didn't stop Zeus and Ra from being throw into the history books.