I am very very lost!!

Discussion in 'General' started by Stoogemeister, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Ok I am about to graduate high school in a couple of months, I am not going to college, all of my friends are.

I dont know what to do. I could get a job, but why? Just so i can continue to work everyday, to buy food, and keep working?

I had this big plan to take the summer and explore the Colorado wilderness, the rocky mountains, all by myself with appropriate equipment that i am actually accumulating. But every day that seems more and more unrealistic, sure, maybe i spend the summer in the rocky wilderness but what then?

I will still just be lost. Sometimes i think oh ok ill just go, right when summer starts and im out, just go to Europe and backpack around see all sorts of things.

then i thought about the military but that shits just not for me

I honestly just feel very lost and do not know what to do

i just want to get away from modern society and the 9-5 work days that swallow up everyone's life, but i dont think i can run away from it for long

2. If you're graduating, you need a job. Period. How else would you support yourself? If you really want to get away from society, join a hippy colony or something.

You sound depressed.

3. you sound like me man. theres a couple of things to check out if you already havent, one including the movie and book 'into the wild', never seen/read it? you 100% should. its about a guy who had the same pessimistic views on society and what he did to get away with it.

i also suggest you check out anarchy, as the entire idea is the get away from the regular 9-5 life of the average person.

theres not too much i can say in this thread, but if you would like to contact me personally, feel free to hit me up via PM. im very into the future of my life and how to avoid working for the rest of it. there are many like minded people, dont let normal peoples views and oppressions keep you down.

4. That's just how shit is man, you gotta get a job, thats how society operates. We're all stuck in the same system, unless you're a celebrity entertainer. Working a job won't consume your life, but it'll create the ability for you to live it the way you want to and give you the money to do things you actually desire to do... :smoke:

5. ^ do not under any circumstance listen to this.

do not just accept. this is your life, your one and ONLY life. dont give it up just because 'thats how it is'. you can find something, there are other ways to live. not everyone has to be money driven slaves.

6. Mannn I felt the same way as you except I was graduating college.

However I took the military root. I feel as tho it will give me the best discipline and the most career opportunitys for what my major was in.

Also you say you dont want to work. Well I got news for you brother if you want anything in life you need to work and have money for it. It just depends on how hard you want to work for your money.

Think about it w/o any higher education you'll most likely get only labor jobs like construction etc etc. Sure they are great jobs with great benefits but when you are older do you think you really want to be doing physical labor.

I recommend you look into a trade tho. My friend was the same way and he got into the electrical union and now he makes a shit ton of money and is happy with what he does.

7. Find a career in something you enjoy.

8. this quote from Kung-Fu Panda helps this situation.

Po: Maybe I should just quit and go back to making noodles.
    Oogway: Quit, don't quit? Noodles, don't noodles? You are too concerned about what was and what will be. There is a saying: yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the "present."

9. so are you suggesting that i just go with the flow and see where i end up. Because i could go with my friend to bonaroo this summer and ill just see if i find something there, regardless it will probably be a good time :smoking:

10. Whats the rush? You're only 18 years old, just get a job, save up some money and figure out some options along the way.

11. take some classes at your local community college

12. find something that u love to do and be succesful with it at the same time, u can do anythin if u put ur mind 2 it

13. well. You need college to get anywhere with your life now a days. But that doesnt mean you have to go right away! Dont start back to college immediately, take some time off and bullshit around, enjoy some fuckin freedom!

Theres all types of grants and whatnots you can get to go to school man, you should definitely atleast go to the school and see what they can do for you.

14. #14 IwasA.Smurf, Feb 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2010
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Dude, you have to get acquainted with life, and this involves working. How else are you going to support yourself?

I suppose becoming self-sufficient, growing your own food, constructing your own clothing, build a makeshift establishment. But this would involve owning your own land to do so.

back to the old conundrum of you have to have money to make money. You could be a professional back packer and pan handler.

Yes, college is a very feasible and highly advisable option. you obtain a degree in a career field of your persuasion, and lessening the likelihood of being suck in a shitty job you have very day.

15. :wave: "under any circumstance" come on man, get real. he's not giving anything up, he hasn't even graduated high school yet, and having a job does not automatically make you a "money driven slave", jesus christ.:rolleyes: If you ever want to have established credit, own a home, buy a new car, etc... you're gonna have to have had a job at least once. Unless you want to be a panhandler performing at the Pearl Street Mall for change every day or something :confused_2:

notice I said "Working a job won't consume your life, but it'll create the ability for you to live it the way you want to and give you the money to do things you actually desire to do..."
    :poke:

16. i do not want any of these things, why is it assumed everyone wants the same life?

of course having a job doesnt make you a money driven slave, but having a job you don't like, or hate because of limited options is. its just not for everyone. some people can do it, some people cant. alternative lifestyles. there are many.

17. Why do you assume by simply having a job that you have the same life as everyone else who holds a job? LOL that is so far from reality man...
    how will he ever have the option of backpacking around Europe or exploring the Colorado wilderness without any money?

and it's clear you do not want any part of moderized life, heh, "i don't need society, anti-government, anti-war, anti-religion, anti-military"
    I've got some questions for you, no comment, how do you pay for your Internet access, food, electricity, etc. with no employment?

18. again i didnt say every job was terrible or everyone with a job is miserable, but people like this guy, people like me, it does apply to us. i'm trying hard not to assume or generalize.

as far as how do i live, im lucky and have a lot of people who understand the way i choose to live, i live in many different places, friends houses, my girlfriends house sometimes, my house once in a while (this is my general residence, my father and my sister live together, i choose not to stay there sometimes), sometimes i can give them money if i have some, sometimes they let me live there and i do things for them, i'm not lazy and very eager to help out my friends or do what i feel is necessary and beneficial to me and least harmful to others (ie saving money, but not shopping at walmart), whatever. little things, big things, fix something, go to the store, help out, clean the bathroom, ive made a decision to try to live as money free as possible, i like to trade. ill trade a couple of hours of work for something, i far prefer it to a steady 9-5 job. its just what i choose, and all i'm trying to promote is that there ARE different lifestyles. i'm not saying yours is wrong, if you like it, if it works for you, thats great. not everyone is you, and not everyone is me. but its good for people to know options, im just trying to spread a couple. sorry if i come off as ... pushy. i go overboard sometimes.

and sorry for my terrible sentence and paragraph structure, i am afterall high

19. #19 Cottonmouth 85, Feb 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2010
    That is kinda the problem though man. Any time people say they don't have to work to support themselves, don't slave away at a job, go live life, etc.

Then someone asks how they make money to support themselves and they say what you did. Essentially you mooch off of other people. You stay at your parents place or couch surf at friends houses. Work a few odd hours to buy weed or whatever. Cleaning the bathroom or whatever isn't going to cut it in the long run.

That might work when you are 18 or 20 but eventually people will get tired of you being a bum and tell you to start paying your share of the rent, or get your own house, etc. Your plan just isn't realistic man.

I mean if you just said. "I sell weed and I don't need to work." I'd say alright. But to just act like it's cool to have no money and bum food, housing, etc off of friends and family just makes you sound like a loser. Not like you've found a way out of the 9-5 work grind. You just pawned the responsibilities of rent and stuff on other people, they didn't go away.

People might "understand the way you choose to live life" right now but eventually they will get tired of THEIR 9-5 job paying for YOUR freedom. And then what? You'll be 30 with no job skills talking about anarchy? I know a few people living in cars like that. No offense but you should try thinking about the future more. The clock is ticking.

20. some people like working for a living, really, many do. thats why i don't tell other people to do what im doing. not everyone can live like me. but this is how im trying to live. and there are many people out there who have the same feelings. again, i do a lot to pay for my share of things. i DID work for what i have, just not in a conventional way. i bartered, i've traded, ive gotten things in ways i could.

and i am very realistic, i am very into the idea of squatting, and when everyone gets tired of me, thats what ill do. until i die. i dont mind this. it still sounds better than a job. dont judge me, i have had jobs, ive worked 15 hours a day at a ship yard, ive done the 9-5 at a call center, i've been a salesman, i'm A+ certified, i used to do IT work. its just not for me, tried it. you go right ahead to work brotherman. if that works for you and keeps you alive.

but there are MANY ways to live. i havent found out about all of them yet, but i will. im not just settling. i cant do that.

what if i do sell weed? what if i just didnt want to bring it up on a messageboard? have you thought about that? by the way, i also sell art. i dont just 'clean bathrooms'. even though, i know i could get away with that forever.

i'm also in a band, its pretty easy for a touring band to make enough money for the bare essentials. thats all i really need. i have many things in the works for the future. many many. i dont even know if ill live long, i dont plan to. but god damn, i will be happy for as long as i live.

edit: sounding, or coming off like a loser is A ok with me, because i am happy.