I am about to give up on this shit

Discussion in 'General' started by Know The Ledge, Jan 25, 2012.

1. #1 Know The Ledge, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2012
    I've always been pretty shy and quiet my whole life. But lately(past 3-4 years) it's been getting worse and worse. I remember I use to not be able to start conversations with people and it would be difficult sometimes to keep a conversation going. Now I can't even talk to my friends half the time without it being some forced small talk. It amplifies times 100 when i'm high.
    I don't know what to do about it. I've tried hanging out with people all the time to get over it, but I just can't. it's like I have no confidence in myself and I have no idea why. i'm not an ugly looking guy or anything. I've gotten a few lookers in my time.
    I just don't know what to do about it. I've tried a lot of things...i even tried talking to my mom about it. She said she was the same way, but when I asked for advice she gave me the same bullshit that i've always been getting..."don't worry about what other people think of you and just be yourself"
    That advice SUCKS. There are so many goddamn things wrong with that statement. BEing myself is probably the hardest thing to do. I have no idea how to be myself. Also even though it's an irrational fear, caring about what other people think about you is no easy thinking pattern to kick.

side note: I'm sure this is worth mentioning. I'm a pessimist. I see the glass as half empty. I am a negative person. I have something good in front of me, and I can only see how I can screw up the good thing. this behavior mostly affects my relationships, which is another thread entirely. :(
    Advice would be appreciated, although i'm not expecting any miracle solution from you guys or anyone

2. You're moms right dude. Stop giving a fuck and things seem to be better. Sounds like you're just growing up and realizing that maybe some of the people you're friends with now aren't people you'd like to continue being friends with.

Theirs nothing wrong with how you're feelin man, it happens to a lot of people (myself included).

3. Your mom is right, but if you can't take her advice to heart then maybe you can try going to a psychiatrist. That way you can openly talk to someone and they can help you find the root to your pessimistic behaviors and hopefully help you come out of your shell.

Maybe you can try getting a job that involves talking to people. Just like a cashier at a local store or something...just so you can get used to talking to new people. That way, friendly conversation will be a normal thing rather than being forced.

I work at a restaurant and I talk to new people all the time. I used to not be so openly friendly, but just having bullshit conversation with random people is fun to me now. It could help you too :)

4. If all you ever see is the bad things in life that's all you will ever see until you decide to change the way you look at it.

Next time something happens and you say something negative, say at least two positive things about what happened. You really need to start seeing the good things that life has to offer because the negative shit is not worth carrying around with you.

I used to be somewhat like you then I was 17/18 then I moved away from mom and dad for a while. I started working at a coffee shop and at first I thought it was going to be the most difficult thing to get myself into. But I gave it a chance and eventually it became the greatest thing for me, it broke me out of my shell. I was forced to talk to customers on a regular basis always in a positive manner. Even when the customers were douche bags, I could still kill them with kindness that the job taught me. Also during this time I didn't smoke anything, it was my biggest T-break I have ever taken (3 or so years).

If your shyness is amplified when your high and you can't even talk to your friends, then it sounds like you need to take a t-break to gather your self. It's hard discovering who are you, but that's apart of life but it's either you be happy with your self or you waste your life being someone else.

5. Your not alone, I've had the same problem for years and it seems to get worse not better, but that could just be me. I just live with it, I don't even really want to talk to anyone anymore because of it, in fact I avoid contact with the few friends I still have..

6. I know she's right, but it's far from easy to stop caring what people think of you. I've had this mentality for years. And na, i;ve already been through that stage. I had a bunch of shitty fiendish friends who only cared about gettin high and partying. I left them to rot in their own lifestyle.

I've thought about going to a therapist, but I don't have the money. those bastards charge out of the ass, and usually just prescribe you with some bullshit pill that I don't want anyway. I'd go if i could though. Pills are better than this lifestyle

Yea, this is supposedly my last bit of weed right here. I don't have the money to support my habbit atm, so it's just better if i stop for a while. maybe it'll clear my head up a little? there's a positive thought

That's what i'm trying to avoid. I've tried being the loner stoner guy. It has it's advantages, but I feel like i'm not living up to my full potential.

7. Based on what you're saying, I think you should definitely get a job where you talk to people! Then maybe you could even save up some money for therapy...or some bud if you're starting to feel better :smoke:

8. I've got social anxiety too, but trust me when I say you'll get significantly better about it if you put the effort in it. First and foremost, be glad to be alive, even if you're in a shitty predicament. Bring up something of interest, or something a loosely political, because there's always something to talk about. There is a thing such as comfortable silence, it's just about not feeling awkward about it. Make it a goal to at least once a day go "Doing alright today?" to a stranger, be it a waitress, clerk, your dentist, whathaveyou. If you're starting to feel numb and depersonalized, I DO advise taking a two-week break from weed. My lowest point last year, my gf broke up with me in public, I got evicted, my car was repossessed, and I became a shut-in and laid in bed smoking all the time. Now, weed wasn't the cause of any of my problems, but doing it 4 times a day was keeping me from wanting to better my situation while I numbed up to everything. Be wary of that slope.

9. heres urt solution

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7R4AnP_hOs]Mango Mob - So Mangoooooooooo - YouTube[/ame]

10. lmao...save up money for therapy

thates hella funny

big PURPLE
    n big bLUNTS

11. Fuck pessimism...Go with nihilism.

At least then you just don't give a fuck.:cool:

12. [quote name='"NorCalPiff"']

lmao...save up money for therapy

thates hella funny

big PURPLE
    n big bLUNTS[/quote]

OR BUD...she also said bud-_-

13. Just gotta find yourself bro, lots of people are in the same boat. Some people get over it when they first go to highschool, some people dont find it until their 35 and living on a farm in the mountains smoking a particular type of herb.

Never think there is something wrong with you though, you just haven't.. flower blossomed yet.

14. I'm not a counselor by any means but.......

You won't have any confidence at all unless you get some self worth. You are worth something, even if you don't see it yet. Start running, working out, anything that will make you feel better about yourself. Surround yourself with people that support your ideas and thinking. You will end up a much better person.

Oh yea....if running and working out don't help you at all......find a video game you are really good at, a subject in school, ANYTHING that helps you feel better about yourself.

I wake up in the morning and run, rain or shine. That way my day starts out perfect and whatever happens all day at least I did something worth while. The biggest investment someone will make is in themselves. Fuck cars, houses, diamonds and gold. If you don't have an self confidence, what do u have? A pile of shit and no one that gives a fuck.

15. Since these fine users have already given you a wealth of psychological advice, I thought I might advise you as to some actions you should take.

First off, take a break from weed. More than anything, it enhances and amplifies your current mindset. If you're happy or content, then weed will relax you and make you euphoric. By the same token, it can depress you and make you more introverted if used excessively and in a bad mindset. I know this through personal experience, both through my own use and what I've witnessed in others.

The potential to be too much of a good thing is just as great, if not greater with weed, because if you've already got a chemical imbalance going on (which I assume you have in some mild form if you're always in a bad mood/feeling negative) then adding any drugs into the mix is not going to ensure the balance that you want to strike.

Secondly, exercise regularly while eating healthy. This doesn't mean taking on a regime, just going for a run when you get up in the morning, and making sure your meals are spaced out, regular, and not too excessive in leaning towards certain food groups (esp. fats and oils :(). This will not only ensure progress towards a balanced mind (figuratively and chemically speaking), but your improved physical image will boost your self esteem and bolster your progress towards feeling healthy and positive.

16. #17 Cruizer, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2012
    Wow, deleted my entire post by accident, but I'll rewrite it at quarter to 4 in the morning because I really think it's important that people are happy.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1NhQ]Always Look On The Bright Side of Life - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX07j9SDFcc]Lion King - Circle of Life - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69Ljn7j_6u8]Flatheads - Sunshine Daydream (Blue Mountain State) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ul-cZyuYq4]Fleetwood Mac - Go Your Own Way (HQ) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM_eb0vVo0k]Powderfinger - My Happiness - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Miec205fvnE&feature=fvst]Blind Melon - No Rain - Lyrics - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrIPQxrog8M]The times they are a changin - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHFDa9efCQU]Bobby McFerrin - Don't Worry Be Happy - YouTube[/ame]

Listen to these songs 10 times a day until you die, feel free to add as many happy songs as you feel necessary. Hell keep adding them until your final breath.

The importance of happiness is just so great that to be unhappy in a finite space of time (life) is just pointless. Follow my advice to a tee and you'll be happy, otherwise what's the point? Do you want to suffer for 70+ years and then die, unhappy? Of course not.

Whistle to yourself, whistle happy songs and you'll find life gets a lot better.

Another key thing to do, EXERCISE!!! I can't stress that point enough, people get lazy, then because they're not being active they get sad. Then because they're sad they get lazier and the cycle continues. Once you understand the happiness that exercise can bring, it's very easy to break out of the cycle but people just don't understand it.

Another thing, instead of using words like "Don't" and "Can't" and "Won't" use phrases like "I would prefer" and "I choose to" and "I will". It sounds silly, but think about how many times a day you think about random things in your life with those first three phrases, you probably can't even recall because it's so instinctive.

Think about something as you're reading this sentence, something you don't want to do. Maybe you don't want to go to the gym, you might say "I can't go because..." "I don't want to because..." "I won't because..."

If you use my phrases, you are suddenly already going in the positive direction. "I would prefer (your choice)" "I choose to (again same)" "I will (this one works great)".

The point is, you need to actively be moving with happiness, I forget who said it but they said "Happiness is a journey, not a destination". Point being, happiness can be a conduit simply through how you live your life, it's not a point you reach and suddenly you're always there, there are shit times too, but maintaining a positive, healthy attitude will help you deal with those problems as best you can.

One last thing, and if you follow it completely, you'll probably be doing better than I am.

Face your problems 'head on'. No waiting for the right moment, dive right in and fuck what everyone has to say. You have something embarrassing? Be the first one to expose it, it's taken me 18 years to learn that it's not what you do or what you say, it's how you do it and how you say it.

If you're looking at my post and thinking "Yeah I guess I could" and then forget it in half an hour after looking at panda videos on youtube, you may as well commit suicide right now, because you don't have long, none of us do, being miserable the whole time isn't worth it, and being happy sure as hell is a lot of fun :D

Edit: Hehe listening to the songs all over for myself, the Monty Python one always cheers me up, no matter what.

17. It sounds like you either need to take your moms advice and try to use it and change yourself, or give up and live with it.

Either option isn't a terrible outcome: some people enjoy being by themselves, and that doesn't make you a bad person, just a different one. I have a brother who is a complete loner and does not like outside attention being placed on him, and that is his choice. He still has found some happiness in it.

Embrace it or change it, there's not much else you can do.
    Also, if you smoke weed frequently, quit or cut back. I'm semi-social and go out and do things often, but over the summer I smoked every day and often would find myself realizing I did not want to do anything but hang out in my room or house. Weed has that effect on some people.

18. if you dont grind you dont shine

19. No idea what that means, but I'm sure it was supportive ^

:laughing: