I am a TOTAL noob... 1st grow, bare with me!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by younggiz, Oct 6, 2010.

1. #21 Tayanissa, Nov 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2010
    So far the set up looks good those aren't Flowering lights those are for veg i see they are giving off a blue light (typical of daylight cfl) Soft Whites are for flowering they give off a orange light. O the reason i am posting is in reference to mylar do not use foil if you get one wrinkle in the foil the reflection is cut in 1/2 so mylar is your best bet. Get yourself a timer for the lights to make flowering and veg timing simple:) Mylar is easy to find at any garden center go to the place you got your Foxfarm dirt:) they should have mylar. Looks like you have plenty of light i personally have 4 42 watt Softwhite and 4 42 watt Daylight My box is 3.5 feet wide 3.5 feet deep and 4 feet tall i have it lined with mylar and there isn't a spot on the plant that is shadowed I put mylar on all the sides and on the top of my bubble bucket tub so the light is beaming all around i am not wasting anything :)

O just one more thing can you adjust the height of the shelf so they are closer to the light this helps with keeping the plants from streching to get to the lights i keep my lights about 4 inches from the plants.

2. whats the name of the light fixtures u got and where did u get them ?

3. I got everything for the fixture from lowes....2 reflective lamps , and 6 twin light socket adapters(3 for each).... the silver reflective thing (sorry for terminology, I'm new at this lol) had one light socket.. so I got 3 adapters for each...

https://www.hardwareworld.com/Twin-Socket-Adapter-pPFKKFI.aspx

I plugged 1 adapter in to make 2 sockets.. then put adapters in each one of those to make 4 sockets... but search Google u make find a adapter with 4 sockets...

4. dont use foil, it's actually not good for reflecting. if you cant find mylar, try to find some 6 mil. poly sheeting with white on at least one side. it works fairly well, and will get the job done.

5. This is a cool thread, your gonna do alot better this time I guarantee it. At least you learned something.

6. I just lined my PC grow box with mylar. Shit works great I got it from a local hydro store. Google it son.

7. go to sporting goods at walmart you can gert emergancy blankets for 2 bucks a peice and they are huge. just ask for emergancy blankets. and btw fuck lowes them bastards never have those twin socket adaptors always just an empty box lol. i had to order mine from the net

8. thanks everybody for your help!!! I used an emergency blanket from walmart to line my closet with... they were sole out so i had to buy a 10$ first aid kit just bcuz it included a blanket too... no biggie! I needed band aids anyway lol

im on my final step of my closet, the fan.... I have the aluminum tubing to go from the fan to the closet... just wondering whats the best, cheapest, QUIETEST fan i can get...

and is installation that easy??? I was gonna get a bathroom exhaust fan because i read about it on another thread...they are all meant to be mounted in a wall and installation seems like its supposed to have an off and on switch... i need one that just plugs in and stays on! so, once again...i need help... i will begin my grow without the fan and install the fan later....

any suggestions about a fan???

Attached Files:

9. get 120 mm pc fan cut the wires and wire it to a cell phone charger thats what i did

10. is there an instructional video or a thread somewhere on how to do this?

11. its just two wires man, cut em strip connect em plug it in . if it dont work you got the wires backwards.

12. It's hella easy, just strip all the wires so they are exposed and cut off the dc connector for your power supply i.e. phone charger. Connect the black/white PS wire to the red wire on the fan, and the black/black PS wire to the black on the fan. Either crimp and use a connector or get some electrical tape to attach them, plug in and done.

13. Im in school for electrical engineering... so this shouldnt be THAT too too hard lol... now since ive already purchased the aluminum tubing i dont want it to go to waste.... is it better if i connect the tubing to the box then connect the fan to the end of the tubing, or just install the cpu fan directly into the back wall of the box?

but enough questions...once this fan is in...this will stop being a mirage of questions and will be a grow journal!! :hello:

14. good shit man ill be watching this thread im in the middle of gettin my pc grow box together.

15. Looking good so far man dont forget you are gonna need a carbon filter for yout exhaust once you start flowering...

16. Im having a few problems... I started my grow but the lights seem too warm...
    I planted it and 4 hours later the soil was dry! I mean Desert dry!!! ...
    So I watered it & lowered the plant from 4 inches from the plant to about 2 feet from the plant
    It grows but it topples over, I water it.. get the soil most.. it'll stand up.. about 5 hours later it topples over again.... I adjust how far it is from the light... but that constantly dries my soil out too fast if I put it anywhere near the light...

What am I doing wrong??? !!!!!!!

17. hmmm seems like you should check the soil that beneath the top layer. sounds like you are watering too much

18. yeah, don't worry, the lights are not drying it out that fast, it's only the top layer of soil, remember the roots go deep and fast....i've had plants with a root that's 4 inches into the dirt within 12 days of germ. also, letting the dirt dry out more will make healthier plants in the long run since it will force the roots to grow out more and will allow more nutes to transfer from the dirt into the plant. also, keep your light closer 3-5 inches is fine, if you move them to 2ft away the stem will strech a ton trying to get to the light, it will be a thin stem that would make it more likely to topple in the future.

also, for the fan if you use a pc fan put it at the end of the run and have it suck out. also, cover that hole where your power cords go through, huge kight leak.

hope that helps, good luck

19. Thanks, ill take your advice... soon as soil dries out it keeps toppling over tho... ill post pictures if I continue to have problems