I am a TOTAL noob... 1st grow, bare with me!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by younggiz, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Greetings Citizens of Grass City! I'm Giz, and im making my first attempt at growing- i HAVE NO EXPERIENCE!! i will update this every 4-5 days to seek your help! whatever you recommend, i will do/subject my plants to.

I have florescent plants lights via a lighting strip... i started off with 1 but now i have 2... they're mounted to the lid of a storage bin with the plants at the bottom. once the plants get larger i'll find a bigger place for them.

Germination- I put the seed in distilled water under light until it was ready...I finally put it in soil about 4 days ago.

its been showing signs of growth over the last 24 hours...

I have an order coming in of hydroton grow rocks, and a water pumping system...but other than that...i'm a total novice to this whole experience... dont know anything about everything

any advice would be greatly appreciated
    :cool: ... Giz..

Attached Files:

2. I'm no professional... but you're gonna need a lot more light. Look at that plants already, they're straining themselves just to reach the light.

3. get some CFL's you need 100w per plant min if you want a solid harvest. also what kind of soil are you using?

4. Thanks for your help!!! I've elevated the plants so they'll be closer to the light...each lighting strip provides 100W.. and now I have 2 so I won't add anymore plants in there... also I'll be purchasing a storage closet soon to grow more plants in... I don't know what kind of soil it is... jus plain potting soil

5. them cfls will do your plants a world of good my friend.

peace
    eastman

6. 100w flouresant? or 100w equivilent?

If its a 100w equivilent then thats 27w.

When a 27w CFl says its equal to 100w it means 100w incandecent light bulb. Which is a normal household lightbulb, which is also not efficient enough for marijuana cultivation. When we say you need 100w of light we mean 100w of cfl/flourotube/HPS/MH. its a lot different then the equivilent wattage of the incandecent bulb.

I would personally run 4 42w 6500k CFLs for vegging then when you switch to 12/12 for flowering i would run 3 42w 2700k and 1 42w 6500k.

This is a start and gives you a good baseline as to what your going to want if your goal is to produce a solid yield of good bud on a budget.

7. warning!!!!!!
    Warning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The following images contain very disturbing visuals of a first timer's marijuana plant.

you all gave me good advice but because of lack of money, i went on with the current grow to get a feel of what would go wrong... knowing that things would go wrong

Attached Files:

8. cont.

Attached Files:

9. cont. as you can see, this grow went horribly!

Attached Files:

10. However, there is SOME good news....
    i went out a got a closet to grow in...
    and I took your advice for the cfl lights...
    2 100w 6500 for the vegetative stage, and 2 100w 2700's for the flowering stage...
    I've ordered Fox Farms Ocean Forest Potting Soil and Rapid Gro 20-20-20 food.
    The soil and food should be here within the next 24-48 hours :)...

i HAVE NUMEROUS questions!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Mylar is all new to me so I planned on lining the inside of the closet with foil... should i used the shiny side or the dull side??

2. When should i start feeding my plant??...I've read to do it at 3 weeks and that I should start off with little amounts and increase it. I know nothing about the feeding regiments... I have a soil testing kit also...which i know nothing about... :-/

3. for ventilation, what are some ways to go about doing that? I plan on getting a bathroom exhaust fan and aluminum tubing leading to the box. then cutting a hole in one of the sides... should the hole be relatively high or low??

4. how many plants can i grow with the light i have... for the vegetative stage, i only have 2 100w 6500 cfl lights... is that good enough for 2 plants?? I have enough room in the closet for 2 plants with gallon pots each so how many more lights are needed?? (if any)

i was gonna put the plants at the bottom of the closet, and put the lights on the bottom of a shelf in the closet...as the plants get taller i plan on just lifting the shelves so keep lights within inches of the plants??? good or bad idea??

thanks for bearing with me guys... all help is appreciated

sorry for what i did to that 1st plant... r.i.p....

Attached Files:

11. 1. Mylar is all new to me so I planned on lining the inside of the closet with foil... should i used the shiny side or the dull side??

Go to a dollar store and buy some poly wrap wrapping paper. There's plenty since it's close to Christmas. You want the stuff with Mylar foil on the back.

2. When should i start feeding my plant??...I've read to do it at 3 weeks and that I should start off with little amounts and increase it. I know nothing about the feeding regiments... I have a soil testing kit also...which i know nothing about... :-/

I feed after 2 weeks. The plant has a good amount of leaves and is sturdy. I use 1/4th strength of FF Grow Big for my first feeding.

4. how many plants can i grow with the light i have... for the vegetative stage, i only have 2 100w 6500 cfl lights... is that good enough for 2 plants?? I have enough room in the closet for 2 plants with gallon pots each so how many more lights are needed?? (if any)

If you have room. You can do 2 plants. 200 watts is plenty.

i was gonna put the plants at the bottom of the closet, and put the lights on the bottom of a shelf in the closet...as the plants get taller i plan on just lifting the shelves so keep lights within inches of the plants??? good or bad idea??

Sounds good. Just not too close. A 100w light will burn the fuck out of plants if it's too close. when you switch from veg to flowering your plant will easily double in size. so keep this in mind as you grow your plant.

12. ^^ What he said...

And you only have enough lights for one 1 plant currently and 2 of your bulbs are the wrong color spectrum for veg. As some one previously said you need 4 27 actual watt 6500K cfls to veg one plant, so if you intend on veging 2 you obviously need 8 27 actual watt 6500K cfls...

13. I have 2 100w 6500k lights for vegging and 2 100w 2700k to switch to for flowering... what more do I need... I thought I needed 100w per plant.. 2 plants = 200w correct..??

14. Also, my fox farm ocean forest soil has arrived!!!!!!!!!... I planned on starting my grow tomorrow once I finish covering the walls with mylar...

If I have to order more lights those 4 days of waiting for delivery will be torture!!!!... where can I purchase cfl grow lights... lowes had a large selection of cfl lights but none of them actually said "plant grow light".... any help???

15. get 26 watt 6500k(daylight) spectrum bulbs from walmart, homedepot, lowes...etc.

16. I can tell from your pics those are NOT 100w CFL's, those are huge bulbs and usually require a different mogul then standard CFL's. What it looks like you have are between 23-26 watt actuals, which you need like 4 of each spectrum/temp. (2700-3000k and 5000-6500k) to have a well done grow.

17. You are probly looking at the wattage value not the actual watts. I have 3 42 watts Soft white for flowering that = 150 wattage and 4 26-42 watt daylight bulbs for veg. i have 6 plants total 4 bag seeds that are in flower now and 2 mail orders 1 ak-47 and 1 Kandy Kush both in veg. I also made a grow box that i have lined with mylar so i dont waste any light and my plants are monsters atm.

18. Got the bulbs... how important is mylar... its very hard to find believe it or not... just left Walmart... no luck... can I use foil instead???

19. I hope i purchased the right things this morning... i took pictures of my set-up soo far... any tips would be helpful

what am i missing??

i still need the fan and mylar/foil... dont know if the foil is ok to use or not...

I hope these are the right lights...

you guys are the pros...im the noob...so any grow closet advice is appreciated

Attached Files:

20. Those are flowering lights, but if you have daylights you can just mix the spectrums for the best growth. If you can't find mylar, paint the walls flat white OR get one of those windshield reflectors for inside cars, they work pretty damn well and don't make hot spots like foil. Or look for emergency blankets at wallyworld, they are like 8 bucks i think.