Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

I am a newbie who quit my prescribed pain meds cold turkey to try MM and I need help!

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Dragonfly9470, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Hi there....

As the title states I am new to the world of marijuana....both recreational and medicinal. I have never been able to enjoy the psychoactive effects of smoking pot so I have always abstained. I have also been a pain management patient since 2004 and regular random drug screens stopped me from experimenting medically. In July of 2018....I made a decision to completely change my life .Because of 14 back surgeries I was prescribed enough pain medication to kill a horse and what I had become was a high functioning addict. The day I realized it....I quit...cold turkey!!! My medication was no longer effective and I had grown so tolerant I needed at lease 8-10 Percocet 10/325 per day. After quitting the root cause was obviously still there, pain made me loose all hope and I thought daily about ending my life.

In September my mom had a small jar of relief balm made by Papa and Barkley. She told me that it helped her nerve pain and I reluctantly placed some on one of my most painful areas. The results were amazing and my tears seemed to bring on a new found hope. I was able to reach my cousin who works in a dispensary in Vegas and enter the world of medicinal marijuana. I don't live in a forward thinking state so I am having to depend on her to mail various things to me. So far I have tried....Gummie Candies, Bath Soaks, Vape Cartridge, Relief Balm and Patches. My life has been changed by MM Patches...they work better than Percocet ever did with no psychoactive effects and the balm continues to help as well. Both are cost prohibitive and I am looking for ways to make them at home. After doing lots of research on my own I asked my cousin to send me RSO from her dispensary because I found videos that showed how to make relief balm using it. I have been trying to find information of creating transdermal patches but I have not been able to find a mechanism for making the THC transdermal or time released outside of a lab. I can only think of something volatile like DMSO which I don't want to use... my biochem degree seems wasted here!!

After that long introduction....here are my questions and I would be eternally grateful for any help offered.
    I would like to use RSO to make a coconut oil infusion to use for suppositories and gummie candy but all of the recipes start with making the oil from the actual plant. I don't know how much coconut oil to use per gram of RSO to make my stock batch....then how do I know how much of that infused oil do I use to make gummmies or any other edible. Does anyone have any experience trying to make patches?? I am open to any other ideas for chronic pain relief. Right now I am able to tolerate 5mg per serving comfortably by biting the dispensary gummies in half. I also cut a 20mg 1:1 CBD THC patch in half and have amazing pain relief. I am currently out of patches because her dispensary hasn't had any for a month. It is hard having hope ripped away from you after finding something to help. So here I am....trying to want to live.
    Can anyone help me??

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Most of this boils down to knowing how to calculate dosage.
    Most good flower is between 15 and 20% thc.
    Using the lower limit means that each gram flower contains 150 mg thc.
    If you wanted to make 50 10 mg thc gummies, then you'd need to use enough herb to supply 500 mg thc:
    Amount = (500 mg THC)*(1g flower)/(150 mg THC) = 3.3 g flower

I frequently make FECO (Full Extract Cannabis Oil), which is almost the same thing as RSO, and dilute it with coconut, avocado, or olive oil. I usually use 30 g decarbed herb powder and multiple washes with 190 proof ethanol to fill a 1 fl oz (30 mL) tincture bottle:
    Potency = (30 g Herb)*(150 mg THC)/(1 g Herb)/(30 mL) = 150 mgTHC/mL.
    A different way to express potency is possible knowing that 1 mL of this is about 30 drops:
    Potency = (150 mg/mL)*(30 drops)/(1 mL) = 5 mg/drop

Many people prefer quick washes with freezer cold material to avoid waxes and chlorophyll.

• Like Like x 2
  3. She has two near identical threads running. I answered extensively on the first one.

BNW

4. The other thread has been deleted, due to being in the wrong area...Forum Feedback

jmick

6. It's too bad the one you put all the effort into was the one that got deleted. I hope she read it and was able to use the information you gave her.

7. There was a lot of stuff on there...but I am hopeful that this one will be informative as well.
    It already is

8. 6674C779-B8E4-4F5A-8F4F-531DA732F632.png
    This is the label for the 1:1 THC CBD that I got to use for edibles. It seems so much more potent than the % you gave. I am terrified to take to much.

9. I'm pretty sure you asked me about %THC on the other post. I chose this 1:1 for edibles and suppositories. I have a higher THC RSO to make the topical balm. Is that a food choice??
    Where do I go from here?

Attached Files:

10. Usually you moderators merge dupe threads so valuable information isn't lost and I'd have had Chunk merge them as he has done so many times when requested.
    :)
    BNW

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Sorry about that, You're right, I realized that afterwards...I'll try to be better in 2019...:hide:

• Like Like x 3
  12. It's got 423 mg of THC so that is what you figure from. Being 1 to 1 with a high CBD ratio it won't have the very hard hit that a high THC ratio would have but you'll still want to work your way slowly into finding your personal comfort zone dose.

10mg is the Colorado State limit for a single edible so aim for that or under. For example my wife finds 10mg to be to high a dose but that is usually a high THC strain. We target her more in the 3-5mg range so to not make her paranoid.

You have roughly 400 ten mg doses in that package. I'd likely mix half of it with a tablespoon of Coconut oil and work with that as a starting point.
    This will work for all three forms of administration. Oral, Topical and Suppositories.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. @Dragonfly9470

Take a quarter of the blended RSO and Coconut oil and that should be about 50mg and add it to the rest of the oil called for in a baked good like cookies or brownies and blend well. Add the dry ingredients and bake normally.
    Cut small as the entire tray of food is 50mg so you can figure how large a brownie needs to be for a 5mg bite.
    Wait a full 2 hours for it to take effect.

For topical rub some on in an inconspicuous area to test as it may stain.

For suppository use I'd start with about 5 drops of the thinned oil base in a standard 0 size capsule. Rectal doesn't hit very hard as it doesn't go through the liver and doesn't change state from Delta9 to it's far stronger version 11hydroxy.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  14. Thank you so much....

15. Can I ask why you had 14 back surgeries? I've had 4 and I see more in my future. A bad series of events from my first one caused the next 3. Now I am in pain if I try to walk more than a few steps. Plus I had to have surgery on my neck and I am afraid something's not right there either.

16. I'm sorry to hear that you continue to experience painful symptoms. I had my first back surgery in 99 at the age of 29. It was to clean up the area around a disc that was slightly bulging. I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease and my quality of life has declined since then. I am fused from L2-S1 and I have a spinal cord stimulator. the number of surgeries multiplied as I was promised pain relief time after time. I suffer from nerve damage, failed lumbar fusion syndrome and severe arthritis as well.

17. Arggggg this only reinforces my belief I shouldn't even let them touch my back. It's only slightly trashed and I only fall to my knees in agony when I turn just so or twist exactly the wrong way. 98% of the time it's just annoying and only flairs from time to time. I've made it to my mid 60s and it has been screwed since my late 30s.
    Blessed Cannabis helps with that as well as my primary issue.
    BNW

18. I wish I could turn back the clock. 2 years ago I let my neurosurgeon remove and replace my stimulator....I had surgery 4 days in a row. It was the worst experience of my life!!! They could not control my pain and I was in the hospital for 17 days. It has not worked since they put it in and Boston Scientific wants to replace it again. I will never let anyone touch my back again....that experience broke my spirit. If you don't absolutely have to have surgery....I would say please don't do it.

19. You are right not to have surgery! If you can avoid it, do so at all costs. I got to where the pain shooting down my leg was so bad, I couldn't stand it. I should have asked for prednisone. They gave that to me before and it calmed things down for quite a few years. You don't stay on it long.

I have severe arthritis too, as well as the other things Dragonfly mentioned. I got a bone growth stimulator and that is what helped my failed fusion fuse. I have fusions in my back and neck.

• Like Like x 1