Grasscity - Black Friday Sale - up to 70% Discount

I always thought to myself...

Discussion in 'General' started by jimboob, Mar 27, 2012.

1. if one developed some sort of irrational phobia, like fear of flying or fear of anything thats really mostly harmless, the best thing for that person would be super-exposure to their fear: If a person fears flying, stick em on a plane until they finally calm the fuck down and can relax...

Well if that's true, then the best way to beat social phobia's would to place ourselves in super-social situations. Call things as you see em and dont think about it just say it. Speak up in class EVERY time. Talk to strangers, make speeches. Try and make some bitches laugh, or try and make things make things awkward...

really ignore all your anxiousness and do it anyway. Even if she goes wrong, you say the wrong thing or you're misunderstood. People circle around you, everyone's staring. Fuck it, that's good. Keep it going, make youself look like a fuckin fool.

And then when that's over do it again.

I doubt it would ever get that bad but you know what I mean.

The thought of this sounds god-damn terrifying, but I guess it's supposed to be. No pain, no game.

2. same as any other exposure
    social anxiety can be somewhat conquered with those methods, no doubt.

3. being socially awkward generally stems from not being exposed socially...

so it makes perfect sense lol

4. I always say what's on my mind fuck it, some people think I'm an ass others think I'm real

5. #5 Shanx420, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2012
    I guess, I dunno. My therapist used to tell me to try to put myself out there more and shit, but it always felt like once I'm in a social situation I just don't know what to say, not afraid, just mind goes blank and I go into like defense mode or something and walls go up. i dunno, just can't think enough when in big social situations enough to have conversation, just get too freaked out with all the eye contact and then I hear my own voice as I'm talking and I notice it too much and forget what I'm saying and fuuuuck lol. It just doesn't work, I suck at socializing. I just have nothing to say to strangers.

6. im alright at that i can talk to people and hold conversations ok, but i still feel akward and forced sometimes. Other times im alright though. find it easier to talk to chicks than dude for some reason

7. lol never see a pretty girl in a big social event? just go up and talk they are human too and may freak out. Your talking to strangers on this site, just find a common interest then expand on that

8. I'm just crazy, I've accepted it lol. I feel like a total schizo in social situations. I cannot appreciate small talk for shit, I don't like it, but you can't very well talk real shit with a person you don't know.:confused_2:

Sometimes I wonder whether or not I really even wanna socialize or if maybe society just makes me feel like I need to. It sure doesn't feel like i want to get to know people when I'm in public lol. It feels like I want to defend myself.

9. [quote name='"Shanx420"']I'm just crazy, I've accepted it lol. I feel like a total schizo in social situations. I cannot appreciate small talk for shit, I don't like it, but you can't very well talk real shit with a person you don't know.:confused_2:

Sometimes I wonder whether or not I really even wanna socialize or if maybe society just makes me feel like I need to. It sure doesn't feel like i want to get to know people when I'm in public lol. It feels like I want to defend myself.[/quote]

That's just the human in ya man, people who aren't comfortable defend themselves, just put on your poker face and say fuck it who cares what other people think, even If you don't mean it keep telling yourself it, and then don't do small talk just get the name and be straightforward with her some girls will like it others won't but more fish in the sea

10. I have tremendous fear of being stoned on marijuana....I will beat this one day.

But really I'm severely introverted ftw. 7 beers and I could chat up the ladies though.

11. But I don't wanna get on a plaaaaane! :cry:

12. #13 Mogwai, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2012
    You can't beat social anxiety by just throwing yourself in social situations. Not all phobias can be bested like that. They can if they're very slight or mild, but if it's an actual problem it takes a lot more work than just exposing yourself over and over to the source of your anxiety. I say "a lot more work" meaning there are other steps to take, of course.. not saying that exposure is the "easy route" because I'm sure it's pretty damn hard.

I used to have a pretty bad phobia of storms.. don't ask me why, I just did after some shit happened as a kid. For about 7 or so years it was like that. I would do things like go out in storms, avoid watching the weather channel every time the sky had a lot of dark clouds, and all that shit. It didn't really do much of anything. It didn't take away that initial anxiety when I heard of a bad storm coming or when I saw a nasty looking cloud. I still got anxious as fuck from them and they still made functioning in public a real chore when it was stormy out.

I got over it and now storms don't really bother me. When I hear a bad storm is coming I still feel very tempted to check my phone for a weather report and all, but that's it. I don't really freak out when they come, and when I'm driving and see dark clouds I don't think twice. Sometimes I even hope for a storm to come along... I dunno what caused me to change really. I guess a different philosophy and understanding on the matter. I couldn't control it, statistically they weren't dangerous, and all the stuff a rational person would point out. Of course I knew all that when I feared them, but even though I knew it I didn't "feel" it if that made sense.. Over time reassurance just forced my mind to take a more relaxed approach to the idea of storms I guess.

I dunno exactly how it happened.. but I do know that exposure only made shit worse sometimes. It didn't help =\

13. everybody feels a little bit awkward... because you care about what people think. just remember everyone is feeling the same maybe at different extremes, and get over it. social anxiety should be an easy one to get over.

14. Sure, but no. :p

15. I'm pretty interested in anxieties and I've read up on a lot of them and such.. I even have a few. I wouldn't describe myself as socially anxious but to a degree I am. Most people are I guess.

Social anxiety however doesn't seem like it would be an easy one to get over. I mean if it were it wouldn't ruin peoples entire life, y'know? I think SA might be one of the hardest anxieties to get over.

Anxiety is a part of peoples character sometimes. For some people social anxiety is 100% unstoppable.