I-1149, Legalize Marijuana in Washington State, HOW YOU CAN HELP!

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by m3t4lm4n222, Mar 23, 2011.

1. #1 m3t4lm4n222, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2011
    What is I-1149?

Signing/getting signatures for I-1149

YOU MUST BE A CITIZEN OF WASHINGTON STATE AND A REGISTERED VOTER FOR YOUR SIGNATURE TO COUNT!!!

(6,664,195 people live in Washington State)

Looking for the petition? Check out the Tools page.

Or download it here. (PDF) | NOTE: MUST BE A SINGLE 11"x17" SHEET OF PAPER.
    Update 3/22 - The alternate petition issue has been resolved. If you need a stack of petitions, Contact petitionrequest@sensiblewashington.org.

Places where you can sign in Washington (Must be a Washington State Citizen and registered voter!!!)

Ways you can help (Out of State)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHOkozsm-30]YouTube - How can people across the nation help legalize in Washington?[/ame]

Buy anything off amazon using the link on www.sensiblewashington.org. SensibleWashington will receive 4% back from your order (With no additional cost for you)

Its ridiculous that Prop 19 got so much publicity yet I-1149 has gotten very little.

2. When will we be able to vote on this?

3. Helping out.. Even though I'm from Kentucky. :)

4. petition in spokane county?

5. #5 m3t4lm4n222, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2011
    There should be plenty of places in Spokane county. If you can't find one you should print one on 11 x 17 paper (Double sided) sign it and see if you can get others to sign it as well, then send it in.

Assuming we get enough signatures, in November this year (2011)

Thanks, if you think about it, in the long run it will help everybody who supports legalization. Eventually, marijuana will be legalized country-wide.

6. I signed the petition and encouraged others to do the same!

7. Awesome!

8. I'm still a legal resident of Washington, but I'm living in Texas right now. Can I still sign one and mail it in?

9. I would assume so. Are you a registered voter in Washington State?

10. Just dropped in $100 for the campaign.

When the time gets closer (1-2 weeks before election) I will try to get a phone group together to make calls. I volunteered quite a bit for the phone banking for Prop 19 in San Diego, so I can hopefully gather a crew.

11. i really hope washington can pass this... we could be the very first and i will be very god damn proud of that, it will be so revolutionary and the government will feel like assholes for keeping it illegal for so long after they see all the money being generated (as well as jobs which i know alot of parts of washington could reallllllly use)

seattle hempfest is i think august or september so if they are trying to pass this in november i have high hopes!

12. How many signatures so far?

13. I don't think they disclose that information. The people who count it won't count it until the deadline. Theres a video online that shows the whole process in Washington State and its extremely long. It takes a while just to verify a single signature. Imagine how long it will take to validate around 241,000 signatures.

14. I don't think they validate every single signature unless something warrants it.

They most likely do random sampling, where they would potential check like 5% of the signatures.

I don't know the exact Washington law on signature verification, but I'd imagine it'd work this:

Divide the X signature pages into Y groups.
    Verify a random sample of ~5% of signatures in each group.
    If there's an irregularity in a group, check each page in the group.
    If there are more than Z irregularities, then check every single signature.

This method would reduce the number of signatures checked from 241k to to around 12k(+ some if there's irregularities).

We could even reduce this to be closer to 12k if we only counted until we hit the 241k mark. This would mean only re-checking invalidated groups if it would mean the ballot would make the requirement(so if we have over 241k validated, we stop counting or if the number of irregular groups left would not add up to 241k, we stop.)

15. YouTube - Kanaal van secstatewa

16. I watched the video. In that instance they did a full check. Seems Washington does both random sampling and full check depending on the number of signatures submitted.

Searching google for "Washington signature verification" turns up:

http://www.sos.wa.gov/_assets/elections/Initiative and Referenda Manual.pdf
    Verifying Signatures
    Laws governing the initiative process in Washington - Ballotpedia