Hypothetical Soil Recipe

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by LoneYote, Dec 6, 2022.

1. Please critique this soil recipe. Thanks . . .

Base:

1 1/2 Part Compost

1 Part Peat Moss

1 Part Coco Coir

1/2 Part Perlite

Nutrients (1cup per ft^3):

3 parts Kelp Meal

2 parts Alfalfa Meal

2 parts Fishbone Meal

1 part Feather Meal

1 part Blood Meal

Minerals (per ft^3):

1 cup Dolomite Lime

1 cup Rock Dust

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Hypothetical answers

chatGPT on base -

This soil recipe looks like it has a good balance of ingredients for plants to thrive. Compost provides essential nutrients and helps to improve soil structure, peat moss helps to retain moisture and aerate the soil, and coco coir and perlite both help to improve drainage and aeration. One potential issue with this recipe is that it may be too heavy on peat moss, which is not a renewable resource and has environmental concerns associated with its extraction. It may be worth considering reducing the amount of peat moss and replacing it with other ingredients such as composted bark or vermiculite. Overall, this is a good starting point for a soil mix, but it may be worth adjusting the ratios or adding additional ingredients to suit the specific needs of your plants.

chatGPT on nutrients-

Adding these ingredients to your soil mix would provide a range of essential nutrients for plants to grow and thrive. Kelp meal is a good source of potassium, which is important for plant growth and helps to regulate water balance in plants. Alfalfa meal is a source of nitrogen, which is essential for leafy green growth and protein production in plants. Fishbone meal is a source of phosphorus, which is important for root growth and flower production. Feather meal is a source of nitrogen, and blood meal is a source of nitrogen and iron. Overall, these ingredients would provide a good balance of nutrients for your plants. However, it's important to note that adding too much of any one nutrient can be harmful to plants, so it's important to use these ingredients in moderation and to follow the recommended application rates.

chatGPT on minerals -

Adding dolomite lime and rock dust to your soil mix would provide a range of essential minerals for plants to grow and thrive. Dolomite lime is a good source of calcium and magnesium, which are important for plant growth and can help to improve soil structure and pH balance. Rock dust is a natural source of a wide range of minerals, including trace elements that are important for plant health but are often lacking in soil. These minerals can help to improve the overall health and productivity of your plants. It's important to note, however, that the specific benefits of adding dolomite lime and rock dust will depend on the types of plants you are growing and the specific conditions of your soil. It may be worth consulting with a local gardening expert or testing your soil to determine the best approach for your situation.

3. blood meal i would cut in half the coco imo not neccesarry and the lime i would also cut in half then mix it all good and let it cook for 3 weeks thats about my recipe and they love it but i used too much lime once and it messed the ph up and that blood meal is pure nitrogen

4. i would drop the coco , why , because it can lead to other problems and headaches of which is happening ,coco or soil
    i would also use some basalt and leaf mold

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thanks for the detailed response. I am interested in minimizing the use of peat moss and the coco coir seemed like a possibility since it doesn't go hydrophobic and is fairly inert if used at reasonable proportions. I like the idea of composted wood chips or the like as another component in there too. The nutrient seems like it could maybe be a little high proportion of N, but then the blood meal, alfalfa and feather meal should break down at different rates so maybe okay? I'm thinking about soil for autoflowers and would probably stick with relatively low amounts to begin with. I can always add topdressings, etc., as I go. As far as dolomite limestone, I suppose I'd want some for a base level of calcium and magnesium, but I'm also coming from the older coots type mix where it's used to counter the acidity of the peat moss, and would need to be modified to suit the final recipe. I have med high alkalinity water that could come into question too. The pH usually 7.4 to 7 6 and 150-200ppm TDS. I am uncertain how best to test a new mix. I suppose let it cook first? Would a DIY kit on Amazon work to get me in the ballpark? Thanks again.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thanks. I would sure like to find a quantitative way to make up soil recipes. Then I could swap ingredients around to come up with ingredients and amounts. So far I've lucked out using everybody's advice, but would like a better understanding of how to control the variables. I got what you're saying and thanks for the advice.

7. Sounds good. I like the leaf mold idea. That would be a big project for me but could be done. I'm still working out what proportion of peat moss and/or coco to use. I've used coco as an ingredient in my worm bedding and it didn't seem to cause any problems but that's different. I've read that coco needs washing and buffering with calmag for the hydro style of coco growing but not sure if or how that applies in an organic living soil. All good things to consider and thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  8. coco will latch ahold of them salts big time , best way on the leaves is chop um up with lawn mower , wet them down and cover with something that breaths a bit and in no time at all you have magic.
    coco is great stuff ,only if you are using just coco and bottled nutes , that just me though , you asked i commented hahahah, as far as the lime goes your peat will need it unless it already has it to buffer with

• Like Like x 1
  9. Oh yeah worm castings is a must

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Bat guano is also good

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Yeah, my biggest problem is acquiring the leaves for it. I've got pine needles up the wazoo, but would have to canvas the neighborhood for leaves and if you count in all of the potential work it gets a little complicated. Working on it mentally for now.

12. when i lived in the city this is the best time of year to get them, folks even go to home depot and buy the bags and the city pick them up for free

13. As far as the dry amendments go, you are correct on the nitrogen sources breaking down at different rates. The blood meal has “right now” fast Nitrogen. The feather meal is super slow release nitrogen and should slowly supply small amounts of N over several months. I don’t put alfalfa in the same group as the other two. It’s really more of a complete well balanced amendment. That said, I think what you have so far looks pretty good. Some fresh worm castings to get the soil popping would be a plus. You don’t have to use very much if ya don’t want to.
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. I think I can make it work just need to get my timing right. The municipal yard waste pick up in my area happens during fire season and the leaves are still on the trees then. I just need to get out of my shell and go ask the neighbors. Who wouldn't want their yard raked for free? Thanks again.

• Like Like x 2
  15. I pick up leaves from my neighbors. It helps everyone out. Stashing leaves is the backbone for building both compost and leaf mold. Browns are hard to come except in the fall.

Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. i seem to get a pretty good stash of card board box from amazon hahaha

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. More perlite and or charcoal for soil fluffiness, bacterial growth, and carbon. Currently the recipe is less than an 1/8th, you could double that or more IMO.
    Don't forget a mulch layer as well to help keep your soil healthy and alive.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  18. a great example are these video games the folks play these days , you know stealing cars, beating folks to death, killing parents , walking into a school as if they were playing silent hill , that kinda stuff

• Like Like x 1
  19. I'd probably go with some readily available (aka free) volcanic cinders but good advice. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1