Hypothetical question

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Deleted member 638051, Jul 30, 2013.

1. First..... I know nothing. That said,

Laugh at me all you need to, I can take it. Many people in my lifetime have shook their heads while walking away from me speechless.

When i was little I remember my grandma grafted a twig from one tree into another tree out in her yard. I don't recall what fruit it was, but I do remember her success.  An example would be like if you took a twig from an orange tree and attached it to a lemon tree you might grow sour oranges, or sweet lemons or something like that. I think nectarines are a cross of a peach and a tangerine, or something like that?

So, why wouldn't it be possible to graft different cannabis strains in a similar way?
    Ok, I'll come clean.  I was really sitting here thinking it would be terrific if I could just grow edibles. Like cannabananas, or weedermelons, or sourdieselapples,  etc.

How about a caramelcorn plant, or a moonpie bush, or a lollypop tree?

I know people who would buy this shit!

2. I know grafting is done on apple trees to help a lesser producing tree to produce bigger better tastier varieties of apples.

3. You can graft cannabis to other cannabis plants.  Same with fruit trees.  As far as I know, you can only graft within the same species.  Like apples to apples and citrus to citrus.  

The act of grafting doesn't combine DNA, the graft simply uses the host plant's root and nutrient delivery system to support itself. 

That said, if you graft a lemon branch on an orange tree, that branch would only ever grow lemons.  The same lemons it grew on the original tree.   The rest of the tree would grow oranges.   

I think there would be a high demand for grafted cannabis mother plants.  To keep plant numbers down, and varieties high, a grafted mother makes sense.  I've seen plants with up to 4 different genetics on a single root system. 

4. #4 SunOfMan, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2013
    Certain plants are able to combine with other plants within the same family even if they aren't the same species. Cannabis can be grafted onto the Hops plant (Humulus lupulus) and vice versa. I think that would hold true for much, if not all, of the Cannabaceae family, and many other plant families. Could be wrong though.

5. I misused the term species. 

Yes, I misused the term species.   While it's possible to graft Cannabis/Hops, you still aren't making hops with THC. The genes of the two plants won't combine, they will simply share a common root system/nutrient supply. 

6. Yep and that goes for anything that's grafted. You're simply using the root system of one plant to sustain another. The only thing getting transferred is water and nutrients, not essential oils or proteins or anything. So hops won't become psychoactive, just like grafting a lemon onto an orange isn't going to give you orange lemons.

7. Thats right, no lemon oranges. But a Lady Williams grafted with a Golden Delicious will give you a Cripps Pink aka Pink Lady.

8. And this is too bad, because I'd love to make cannabinoid filled trichomes growing on the grass in my lawn.  Harvest would be as simple as mowing...

9. LFMAO!

God forbid the lawn nazi's if they started doing this. Grandpa wouldn't be coming out the door screaming about stepping on his grass. He might shoot first, ask no questions later.

If THC grew on grass, there'd be enough to go around.  =)