Hypoaspis for fungus gnats?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Herbiraptor, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Hypoaspis for fungus gnats?

Problem, older fan leaves curling down, yellow and die. Sticky trap has several gnats per sq. cm

* Hydro or Soil – Soil – Radiance organic potting mix, blood& bone ½ cup per cubit foot, lime ½ cup per 2 cubit feet, Yates Dynamic Lifter (pelletized manure and seaweed, oganic,) ½ cup per cubit foot, Naked farmer Organic Soil activator 1 cup per cubit foot, Wormwork organic compost casing 15% , 30% perlite

* Type of light? - 600 watt HPS X2, 18/6, 24 inches from plants

* "Atmosphere" Conditions - large exhaust fan thru ceiling, rotating floor fan. Dry air. temp range from 68 to 88 depending on weather. No air conditioning or heat.

* Waterings , Brita filtered, water when dry finger in soil. Kept more wet when seedlings younger but past 2 weeks have been trying to keep them drier thinking that over watering was the problem. 1 gal containers, (some recently repotted into 2 ½ gal). Tried just misting the soil a few days ago, thinking I might have been over watering which I think may have aggravated the gnat problem.

* PH Range (Of the Water Your Giving, and Runoff Out of Container)- 6.4 +or-.2 little or no run off

* Nutrients/Supplements - Seasol seaweed concentrate 1tsp per 2liters 2-3 times a week, Yates natures way fish emulsion 9%N, 2%P, 6%K 1tsp to 2 liters used once at 3 and 5 weeks

* Pictures if possible! (Posting pictures can describe the problem for you)- sorry no pics

* Design and Dates (Size of your setup, and how long you have had it, age of the P's)- 5 week from seed plants, approx 5 internodes, some topped, good secondary growth in approx 2 square meters. Setup 5 weeks old.

 Other Any other information you can think of not included by these subjects.

Plants doing okay height wise approx 8 inches, but older fan leaves yellowing and dying.

Just repotted some and they had a lot of roots at bottom but not at sides of pot. Have done 2 epsom salt foilar feedings (1tsp per 2 liters water) approx 1 week ago without change.

Thought I might have been overwatering but let plants dry out and did very minimal water for the past 5 days but problem persists.

Showed local grow store my sticky trap fairly full of what they say is fungus gnats, which they say are the problem. They suggest either several poisons or Hypoaspis predator mites.

Considering going with the predator mites but a fairly pricey option and would like a second opinion.

I'm told the mites will die off once the gnats are and larvae are eaten and would like assurance that this won't become a 'get rid of the mites now' problem.

Thank You

2. there's a product called gnatrol sold online that has Bacillus thuringienses, subspecies israelensis made just for fungus gnats. i've also used mosquito dunks that have the same ingredient. let them soak in a few gallons of water then water your plants until the gnats are gone.

some other options if you don't mind using chemicals.

3. I would agree. Recently had fungus knats and I applied a spray of neem, warm water and soap. Instant death to the little ****ers. None toxic to mammals, relatively cheap, not absorbed by the plants and although the smell is quite strong, it quickly breaks down.

4. Thanks guys

5. Careful as some oils contain neem plus other active ingredients. Eucalyptus oil, for example, is found in some and this IS absorbed by the plant and can therefore affect flavour if applied during flowering. I'd recommend using a pure neem oil.

6. I had the same problem with fungus gnats for at least two cycle. I tried beneficial nematodes, yellow sticking traps but finally I used a concentrate called Sevin and water it into the soil. It finally work, no fungas gnats.