Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Hyperventilation Syndrome

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by randgen, Feb 16, 2009.

1. #1 randgen, Feb 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2009
    For about half a year now I've been experiencing minor chest pains, overwhelming chest tightness and shortness of breath when I blaze. Doesn't always happen but most of the time. I've noticed it's far worse when I smoke at night and when I just sit around after smoking. Laying down is impossible when the symptoms are severe as it will make the throat and chest tightness far worse. When I get up and walk around or do something that requires my concentration the symptoms clear right away but return as soon as i sit back down.

So I spent some time googling and it seems to be a fairly common issue (even for non smokers) but most doctors just write it off as anxiety or stress when all the normal heart and respiratory tests come back negative.

Then I found this. It's called (Chronic) Hyperventilation Syndrome and it's the most accurate description of my symptoms. Haven't been to the doctor about it yet but I'm just curious if anyone else has this and how it works out when you smoke.

Here's the list of the symptoms of CHS with a comment on the ones present for me. I might add when It first started I only had minor chest tightness and throat clogging but it's gotten worse over time (especially after i picked up ciggs)

• shortness of breath for no apparent reason...............YES
    • frequent sighing or yawning....................................YES
    • chest pains.........................................................YES
    • heart palpitations.................................................YES (way worse sitting or lying)
    • sweating
    • syncope (fainting)
    • dizziness.............................................................MAYBE(cant tell high from dizzy)
    • trembling.............................................................YES
    • slurred speech......................................................SOMETIMES
    • cold, tingling, or numb lips or extremities
    • nausea or irritable bowel syndrome
    • aching muscles or joints, or tremors..........................NECK MUSCLES FEEL TENSE
    • tiredness, unsteadiness, or diffuse weakness..............YES
    • restless sleep, insomnia, or nightmares
    • sexual problems
    • anxiety or phobias..................................................WORRIED ABT SHIT SOMETIMES
    • fear that perhaps you're a hypochondriac...................KINDA
    • dry mouth.............................................................HARD TO TELL WHEN STONED
    • pressure in throat or difficulty swallowing
    • bloating, belching, flatulence, or abdominal pain...........RARE
    • impaired memory or concentration.............................MY MEMORY SUCKS ASS
    • confusion / disorientation
    • tinnitis (ringing in ears)
    • headaches............................................................SOMETIMES WEN I COME DOWN
    • blurred vision, tunnel vision, double vision, or flashing lights
    • tachycardia (rapid pulse).........................................YES
    • depression
    • erratic blood pressure

2. Chronic Hyperventilation Syndrome is when people feel like that all the time. What you described sounds more like anxiety, especially if it's only happening when you smoke, but I think they go hand in hand. Anxiety can cause hyperventilating, and hyperventilating and chest pains can cause anxiety.

I get hyperventilation symptoms when I'm REALLY stressed out. It's like I forget how to breathe properly, and constantly feel like I'm not getting a deep breath (even though I'm getting enough air). This causes me to over breath, which overworks my chest muscles which causes mild chest pains.
    The key is to remember to breath slowly through your nose. Spend 15-30 minutes each morning and night concentrating on taking slow, controlled breaths. When I get really stressed I do Pranayama Yoga (yoga of breathing), which helps a lot.