Hydroton Questions

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by JimiGrape, Jun 18, 2010.

1. I used to use rockwool cubes, but I switched to hydroton & netpots and my freshly transplanted clones are unhappy. I'm used to them looking a little sickly for a few days, but this is worse than usual and my girls aren't snapping out of it like usual. They don't seem to be taking up water/nutes - leaves are droopy and the older stuff is yellowing and won't bounce back. I figure if they don't bounce back in another few days, then the ladies are goners. :(

They're in net pots in an ebb & flow tray. I sprayed them with Nitrozeme, which usually works, but no luck this time. They have plenty of light and the fluid is good (3 part GH grow formula), temps and humidity are normal.

Only thing I can think of is maybe I'm over watering. Any recommendations on watering intervals? With rockwool, once/twice a day at this stage would work, but I'm a noobie with hydroton, which doesn't hold h2o like rockwool. Right now I'm flooding the tray every 2 hours when the lights are on and once during the dark cycle.

Also, how do you clean the root matter out of this stuff when you move onto your next cycle. :eek:

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Use both.

You can place the freshly cut clones into Rockwool, and then the rockwool cube into the netpot full of expanded clay (hydroton, whatever brand)

This will give the new Clones a medium that provides continous moisture.

You can cut the Rockwool cubes right down, eg 1/4 to 1/8th

[​IMG]

I know its a bad example, becuase its a very sickly clone, but you get the idea ;)

3. Maybe my post wasn't clear. I clone in an DIY EZ clone and then transplant to netpots.

4. Clone in your EZ cloner in rockwool, then transplant the rockwool cube with clone, into a netpot filled with Hydroton ;)

5. Hadn't thought of that, but it doesn't make a lot of sense. The advantage of the ez-cloner is areoponics.

Anyway, how often do you ebb and flow once you transplant to the net pot?

6. My friends "EBB and Flo" (and some grow in CoCo), but ive only just started growing indoors sorry, and have no experience except with soil, and DWC (I'm traditionally an Outdoor Geurilla grower)

I hope someone can come into your thread and finish off your questions for you (and I'll let this post bump it to the top, hopefully someone will spot it :cool:)

7. Still curious about the cleaning proceedure for Hydroton. ;)

8. soak it in hydrogen peroxide until the bubbles stop...

9. Sounds like you run a setup just like mine. How big do you grow your roots in your cloner? I like to get like a foot of thick beast ass roots before I hit the flood table. To make your cloner a beast (if not already), pick up a hydro crcle timer that can do 1min on 5min off. Also some nice micro pore airstones in your cloner will get you more roots.