Hydroton grow rocks vs Perlite

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by OCMMJ, Oct 7, 2011.

1. I'm about to transplant my babies(pre-98 bubba) into 3 gallon pots and LST them. I'm using FFOF soil and was wondering if I could us the hydroton grow rocks instead of perlite? I was thinking of doing a 70/30 mix? Thanks for the help

2. I think you could. Just watch the drainage, I guess. The purpose of perlite is to allow for better drainage and to provide better oxygen flow to the roots. Using hydroton wouldn't compromise either purpose, they're just bugger. Perlite would probably be cheaper though, I'm not sure.

3. That was my main concern. I have grown with coco before. How much drainage should i have with soil?

4. ive been messing around with different mixes of soil and im having very good fast growth with 25% ff happy frog 25% coco and 50% perlite. it dries out really quick. very good aeration and drainage.. it doesnt clump up at all. when i was using ffof or ff happy frog alone the soil would stay water logged for weeks when it wasnt really hot out. now it stays about 60F-70F and will dry out in about a week or less. i was wondering about mixing hydroton in but i dont think it would help too much so i went with lots of perlite and i love it.

5. My room temp is always in the low 70s and i will be using a led light. I wonder if I should up it to 50/50?
    I'm using the hydroton because i have it on hand from a previous grow. Didn't want to go buy the perlite if i didn't have to.

6. idk about mixing hydroton into the soil or how much to mix. i dont think it would help as much as perlite does but you could always give it a shot. it wouldnt hurt.. tons of people just use the ffof straight out of the bag anyway.

7. Might as well. This grow is all about trying new things. Soil and lst so whats one thing?