Hydroponics

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Big Poppa Puff, Sep 3, 2003.

1. I`m looking to buy a hydro system online. Any suggestions? $250-400.

2. I am going to buy an aeroponics system that comes with a 250W HPS. It holds 6 plants. My question is will the 250W HPS be good for veg.

3. A 250 HPS will work for veg but its far from ideal. However if you get a 250W HPS system you can simply get a 250W MH conversion bulb that will work with your HPS ballast. Its a little bit more money but its a whole lot cheaper then buying a MH system and it gives you the best of both worlds. Once you go into flowering simply screw the HPS back in and your good to go.

4. Hello everyone,

Just a question regarding starting a DWC grow. I currently have some new beans, and I want to keep a mother from both strains. Now should I plant in a bubbler and snip a clone for a mother? Or do I plant a few in soil and wait to choose a mum that way? Any help would be awesome.

Thanks all

5. Hello. I just joined the forums in hope of some answers because I am quite stuck. Last November I began my first grow. Unfortunately, my grow was destroyed because of reasons irrelevant. I used soil in that grow, and it was taking a very long time as well, and I had used seeds that I found in a friends stash.

I have decided that I want to grow again. more effectively and more efficiently. After reading the section dedicated on hydroponics in the grow bible, and several different resources on the web, I still havn't quite grasped how the system works, lol.

There are several questions that I have, not only about hydroponics but other aspects of the future grow as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated because I do not want to mess up this time and I want to come out with a very high, potent, good looking yield.

Given these circumstances: The amount of space I have to spare is about 6 ft by 6 ft. The plants need to be short and fat, Indicas I believe.

1. What would be the most effective hydroponic system for that amount of space?

2. Is there an Indica strain that has high yields, the flowers are extremely potent, and physically looks good?

3. Is it possible to buy feminized seeds? If so, what are the chances that it will be female?

4. How many fully grown plants could be fit in such space?

5. Is it possible to build a hydroponic system that is equally as effective as the kits that are very expensive on the internet?

There's much more...but I'll go from your responses...if any.

Once again, I appreciate the help, and glad to be part of the community.

6. 1. I would go with a DWC
    2. If your looking for feminized seeds and your on a budget check out Female seeds at seedbotique.com( I think i spelled boutique wrong) I grew out some Northern lights from them and they were very poten and the yeild was nice. Or grab some clones which my be close to imposible for you to come by.
    3. They chances of the being hermie is greater then with regular seeds. It will depend on how much stress you put on the plants.
    4. Thats a big space you could probley get at least 2-3 20 gallon rubermaid buckets in there with 6 plants per bucket. Thats going to take a loot of light I would say at least a 1000watt. I would go with 1 bucket 6 plants 1 400watt mh with the hps convertable bulb. You can get them cheap at insidesun.com
    5. You can build a real nice hydro system for like $20. All you need is the bucket the lid I would go with 3 "12 airstones some net pots, clay pebbles, and airpump some air line and shabang instant $20 DWC.

7. That alone has helped greatly, I've decided on the purple power strain. Do you know if this site is legit?

Now by DWC I assume you mean deep water culture right? It may sound stupid but could you explain how it works in a really simple way , lol, no matter how hard I try I can't seem to grasp 100% how it works.

As far as space I made an error. I wish i had that much space to grow in Lol. Heres the thing, I'm going to build a box to keep the hydroponic system sealed in. I want to grow 6 plants. How big does the dwc in WIDTH have to be, as well as height? And same with the box to fit the system. Is this all possible? I have about 2-3 ft height and 5-6 ft in width for the box, Would that be enough for 6 plants?

8. first off that site seems to be very expensive for seeds. I would try to check some other cheeper sites. For those prices you could get some rockin Reeferman seeds check out www.seedboutique.com. You can get a 4 pack of female seeds for like $20. I wouldnt buy those expensive seeds for my first grow especially with hydro. Hydro is something that once you get the hang of it, it will be very easy but getting there can be confusing and belive me unless you are super lucky you will be putting some type of stress on those plants. Your going to be very pissed if you blow $160 in seeds rather then $25.

I dont think you have enough height space. DWC works like this. You have a 20 gallon rubermaid container. You know the blue ones for storage. You are going to have to first get some type of media for the seeds. I like to us oasis cubes. You can use rockwool. you start you seedlings under the flourecents and once they are about 2 weeks of grouth you put the cubes in the bottem on your net pots(5 inch pots) Fill around them with clay pellets up to the new grouth(as they grow add more pellets) then put them in your pre cut holes in the lid of your container. Inside the container you want to have your airstones. Start with 2 airstones and once they get about 4 weeks of grouth go with 3. hook your fishtank airpump up to the airstones and plug it in. fill the container up with your nutes and turn the light on. Make sure the water comes up to the very bottem of the new grouth. the oasis cubes should be just about submerges in the water.

So where do the problems come in you ask. well its all in the nutes. How much should you use how often to change them? whats a good mix. thats when the stress comes in. Be carefull on your nute intake that wil kill your plants or stunt there grouth. I have some good formulas if you need them once you get started.

One thing that you will need for hydra is a ppm meter to judge how much nutes to add or not add

9. first off that site seems to be very expensive for seeds. I would try to check some other cheeper sites. For those prices you could get some rockin Reeferman seeds check out . You can get a 4 pack of female seeds for like $20. I wouldnt buy those expensive seeds for my first grow especially with hydro. Hydro is something that once you get the hang of it, it will be very easy but getting there can be confusing and belive me unless you are super lucky you will be putting some type of stress on those plants. Your going to be very pissed if you blow $160 in seeds rather then $25.

I dont think you have enough height space. DWC works like this. You have a 20 gallon rubermaid container. You know the blue ones for storage. You are going to have to first get some type of media for the seeds. I like to us oasis cubes. You can use rockwool. you start you seedlings under the flourecents and once they are about 2 weeks of grouth you put the cubes in the bottem on your net pots(5 inch pots) Fill around them with clay pellets up to the new grouth(as they grow add more pellets) then put them in your pre cut holes in the lid of your container. Inside the container you want to have your airstones. Start with 2 airstones and once they get about 4 weeks of grouth go with 3. hook your fishtank airpump up to the airstones and plug it in. fill the container up with your nutes and turn the light on. Make sure the water comes up to the very bottem of the new grouth. the oasis cubes should be just about submerges in the water.

So where do the problems come in you ask. well its all in the nutes. How much should you use how often to change them? whats a good mix. thats when the stress comes in. Be carefull on your nute intake that wil kill your plants or stunt there grouth. I have some good formulas if you need them once you get started.

One thing that you will need for hydra is a ppm meter to judge how much nutes to add or not add

Oh i almost forgot the height question. I dont think you have enough. Think about it. The container will be at least 1 1/2 feet high. then you got the lighting that will take up at least 1 1/2 feet. thats 3 feet plus your plants will be at least 3 feet high if you bend and trim your ass off. some find some more height somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ah well i mean the plant height, so how high would the box have to be? the grow box i mean, maybe 6-7 ft high?

thanks for the site WAY better prices are you sure they're feminized though guaranteed females?

as far as building the DWC you lost me lol, so a 20 gallon container will be enough for six plants? I buy the container, a fish tank pump, what are airstones? After I get the container, what do i do, I know you explained it before but i couldn't really understand

11. I was thinking about starting an indoor hydro grow since the growing season is about over and was wondering what size pot/container I should use if I want to get a 4-5 foot plant. Do people even grow 5 foot plants inside?

12. Dude okay wait. I think I'm beginning to get it. Correct me if I'm wrong. So I buy a 20 gallon rubbermaid conatiner right? The lid acts as the "floating platform" right? So I would have to cut six holes in the lid and put a pot of some sort in them, is that what the net pots are??? If so, then it doesn't matter how big the net pots are right it could be dixie cups for the whole plant cycle?

13. First off do you really need a box? I thought that i was going to build a box on m first grow also but I ended up just setting up in my closet. It worked much better. If you have to build a box I would say it would have to be at least 6' high. Shit you might as well build it an extra 2 feet and put a veg compartment under the box for clones. Anyways a bit more height for your grow would help out.

As for the female seeds I would stay away from the x-line. I heard they have a lot of hermies. The normal strains(ice, white widow, northern lights) are like 99% female. Theres always a chance of you plants going hermie depending on how much stress they are under. Example. If your in veg and looking for say 1000ppm and you screw up and your ppm shots up to 1400ppm your plants will be streesed as hell. they will wilt and or curl and now you got to change out that water and add the correct amount of nutes. Nitrogen defenciancys also put stress on the plants. I have a really good nute formula breakdown. Ill dig it up and post it with some pics of my DWC setup.

Belive me it sound very complicated But it is 20 times easier then soil growing. Im on the wireless broadband because my comcast is out-of-order. Once its back on I will post pics.

20 is fine for six plants. about 3 gallons per plant is a good mix. I know you have seen airstones. Have you ever seen a fishtank and there are bubbles always coming up from the bottom. Thats sound of continous bubbles that you always hear in the fishtank. That is an airstone. You can get this from any pet store. Grab the most powerfull pump its like 5 bucks extra. The bubbles provide the air that your plants need to grow. More air equals more grouth. So grab 2 12" airstones then move to 3 once youhit mid veg.

So you got your container Now you cut your holes in the top. I like to use 5" netpots but you can go with 3"pots. I woulld not use less then 3". I thnk insidesun.com sells all of this. I get mine from the local hydro store. the net pots will hang down into the container and be held at the top on the edges. 99 percent of the pot is in the container in the water

14. Okay wait dude what's ppm? Now I get what airstones are lol. Well im building a box this time, probably, if im not lazy lol because i grew in my closet last time but someone fucked it up. Dude man thanks for the help btw if this grow goes well ill give u like 2ounces lol u live pretty close to me...

But i'm on vacation in another state right nowand will be back august 25th, that is when im going to start buying the supplies. do you have an email address or instant messaging service like AIM or MSN? Just that with those more extensive convorsations can take place and I get paranoid about public forums lol

15. ok ppm is what is going to make or break you grow. You have to get a ppm meter for your plants. Mines cost like $30. Its not the best but it does the trick. This will tell you how much nute to add to the rez. this the the food for your plants. To much for and they will get stressed have nute burn and die. To little and you will barley see any grouth. So its very important. here are some pics.

Attached Files:

16. as you can see from my pics the first few weeks on your first hydro grow can be stressfull on you plants. But if you keep at it hydro becomes very easy and very rewarding

Attached Files:

17. i threw a seed in my fishtank and it stuck to the heater and started growing.. took it out when it was about 6 inches long and planted it in some soil and it died, how long could have it survived in the tank though?

18. HIGH All, one must read the rules...3 You further agree not to post any Material for any business or commercial purpose. (We offer our service for free and are dependent on sales from our online shop. Advertising for others directly hurts us in our revenue and therefore hurts the financial backing of the forums.)

Thanks for understanding.