hydroponics vs soil

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by twistpro420, Feb 19, 2008.

1. so what are the pros and cons of growing hydroponiclly vs growing in soil?

2. not really sure bro so you won't get much help from me... however, i have been considering hydro and before i could even start reading beginner info on hydro i came across this. i believe if you want to venture into hydro, this may be the way to start (even for semi-experienced soil growers):

http://forum.grasscity.com/general-indoor-growing/208584-any-one-considering-coco.html

good luck with whatever you decide on! i'll be checking back here as well to hear other people's opinions on hydro vs soil as well...

3. hydro is great if you know what you're doing. hydro will give bigger yields but soil is very forgiving.

4. Is it possible to go from hydro indoors and move to soil outdoors?

5. i mean could i use that coco stuff indoors and then transplant my plants into soil outdoors?

6. 1 big concern about moving plants from lights to actual sunlight is IR light. It can kill a plant that isn't used to it. To move a plant outdoors it should be done a small amount at a time. Just a few minutes the first day, a few more the next etc. Your plant will tell you if it is getting too much.

As far as going from hydro to soil, Im not sure. I guess Im not even sure why you would even want to. While soil is more forgiving, hydro does produce a bigger yield, faster. If you go to the trouble and expense to setup a hydro system then why not use it for the entire grow?

Something else to consider about outdoors is bugs. One nice thing about growing plants from seeds indoors using hydro is you never have any bugs in your weed or on your grow. Last week I was looking at my grow when I spotted a fly. An ordinary housefly. It looked odd in there, I had never seen any kind of bug in there before. He looked like he was enjoying it too. Perhaps too much. That fly won't be a problem again.

Good luck with your grow.

7. The hydro vs. soil question has been asked and answered many times before, in fact several times just in the last couple of weeks. Scroll a few pages deep in this here Indoor forum and in the Beginner's forum, tons of info already there...

8. The question here seems to be indoor vs outdoor as well hydro vs soil. Compromise that shit and do hydro outdoors and dont spend more than a buck or two a month to run your little setup. You cannot replace the power of the sun and why should you spend money on lights and stuff when you will grow bigger plants outdoors. You will have a better time outdoors as it is sunny and plants generally enjoy the sun. Just start your little baby indoors and gradually introduce him to the grandfather sun over a week and watch the baddy take a rocket ship to the moon... STRAIGHT UP. Unless you absolutely insinst on growing the perfect weed indoors (which indoors does have that ability, but its not always the case), you better go PRO son. To make up for the incredible lack of light your lil' Susette Bisquette (which should be her name) will be getting, you will need to be master to the humidity levels and temperature levels in her climate. When you hydro outside, its still the same work (adjusting the ph levels and the amount of nutrients it will get) as it is indoors, sans buying a bunch of extra shit. As a nubbin Creator, your little Susie will definitely make more patties outdoors than indoors, so milk the easy life.

9. Never grown before?

Go Hydro with the Lucas Method in a bubbler bucket or tub.

Nothing could be simpler and it will allow you to focus on your plant... not chasing pH and trying to figure out what your plant wants to eat your first grow. Let's ya focus on the growth characteristics and such without extra bother.

There are others who will tell you that soil is easier. If you can find the exact ingredients they're using then I would say... Ok. Personally, I've killed every MJ plant I've ever put into soil. :( Haven't had much luck finding the exact soil and nutes other folks are using.

A Bubbler bucket or tub is usually less than $30 to set up. The parts can be found in hardware stores and aquarium shops. (get the porous bubble curtain tubes!)

Lucas Formula can be used with AN or GH nutes (I use GH) and those can be easily purchased from hundreds of online stores.

Only other thing you'll want is RO water. (Keeps things ultra-simple) That's pretty much available everywhere in the states now.. go fill your own jugs for $0.20 - $0.40 a gallon.

Outside? Hrmm.. I can't do that myself but would LOVE to. Grow me some freakin TREES! LOL

Check the link in my sig for all the information you're looking for (and then some)

GROW ON!

10. I have never set up hydro but depending on how much and how often you will grow getting rid of soil can be a problem.