HYDROPONICS VS. SOIL – ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Urban Garden Supply, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Talks cheap in my world.....i come with facts and pics

Im proud of you for being an engineer......im also proud of the fact that someone like me will take your job one day.....not me because i do business alone.

What kind of engineer?
    Im always interested in the next Low speed high drag air sucker i can replace

If you want me to take a pic of my piles please send me $300 via cap1 due to screwing up my patients meds by over handle

Yes, I've seen what you call facts, and I've seen your pictures.

Your buds look small and over fertilized. I think it's kind of funny that you cite that thread to support all of your boisterous claims.

Anyway, since pictures are so important to you. Here is a gallery of what I'm doing now in my new setup, and one that has some pics of my previous HPS flowering room.
    View attachment 6844
    View attachment 6850

3. Lmao So now you use sun....led and hps...how long is your veg time?....you know what never mind ..i quit.....i would rather go talk to a light ballast or a tent pole.....keep on baller

No smartass, I don't use HID lights at all any more. I use sunlight + LED to flower and LED alone to veg.

The HPS flowering room is my previous flowering room. Now I have a flowering room with a skylight.

Why do you have such a problem with that?

You don't even know how to keep plants healthy. Your buds in your pics are small and over ferted.

But yet you remain smug and self rightious.
    View attachment 6843

5. What a pointless argument. As stated earlier, on a small scale, no ones making a HUGE difference between soil and hydro, if both growers are equally as skilled. On a big scale, yes hydro can essentially save the worlds potential agricultural crisis.

Both you guys have very unimpressive grows (At least from the pictures you posted). Should be learning, not arguing. Yes, Im no expert, only on my third grow, (+ 1 outdoor grow) and probably nothing to brag about, but im here to learn and share. People need to know their facts before they preach. Too many people here seem to think they're all experts, and with a little help from "Google" they can usually be corrected. Take the time top learn first. 

• Like Like x 1
  6. #66 waktoo, Feb 7, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2015

Still misinformed I see.  How are non-sustainable agricultural practices going to "save the day"?

Where do you get your information from?

7. you have to explain yourself and non-sustainable. That sounds like an anti- sound bite.

What are you calling small scale and big scale?

Is a 3'x3' growing footprint 'big scale'?

I originally changed to a single 3x3 E&F table with a 400w HPS for flower and a 2x2 table with a 250w MH for veg. The increased growth was quite significant when I changed to hydro from soil. But that is me. I don't go around telling other people what growing method to use, and I don't bash methods because they are different from what I do.

Nowhere in any of my posts in this thread did I state or imply that one method is 'better' than another. It's the pompous blowhard soil growers who are doing that.

My only agenda on hydro vs soil debate to squelch the BS misinformation and idiotic claims made by pompous morons.

First of all, I've been growing for 30 years, and never stop learning. I don't need some snot nosed kid telling me what I need to learn.

I was NOT the one bragging about what I grow, and saying 'I got pics, I got pics', and acting like posts without pictures are unvalidated.

I could care less how "unimpressive" you feel my grows are. I don't grow to impress people on a web forum. I only post pictures to show what healthy plants are suppose to look like. So few people grow healthy plants start to finish anymore. People try to push their plants to perform and end up with pathetic over ferted buds with severly burnt dried up shriveled up leaves (like the guy doing all the chest thumping and bragging in this thread).

My plants are healthy top to bottom from start to finish. Keeping plants healthy and happy is how to maximize yields. I don't grow high yielding strains, I grow for quality not quantity.

What is your agenda in making a post to tell people how 'unimpressive' their plants are? Do you have anything that is 'impressive'? Or does it just makes you feel giddy as a school girl with a new prom dress to put others down and act self righteous?

10. non sustainable in energy and pollution created from manufacturing fertilizer solutions, non sustainable due to enormous amounts of fertilizer run off, salt accumulation and miner leaching, massive amounts of Glyphosate bio accumulation, do you know what that means? should i go on?  probably take me a week to submit everything. lol

• Like Like x 1
  11. So the GMOs have positively affected all those instances you mentioned. One would have to make the naive assumption that as GMO and scientific discoveries evolve they would not help in sustaining the food production as well as renewing our resources. The farmers and corporations involved in food productivity do more than any other group out there to develop long lasting sources of food and production, period.You guys have been fear mongered and it is understandable.

I could go on as well but science is on my side. Leaching is a natural occurrence as well with soil being a great filter. Do you glypho is super dangerous? See here: http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Chemical.jsp?Rec_Id=PC33138#Toxicity

The risk is clearly in favor of protect food sources vs contamination. It seems a group of guys think phosphates sources are all man made at times or that nature in of itself does not poison us. We are getting better and as the urbanites drive us to feed and support them or poor farmer practices deplete soil we have to be smarter than the rocks and dirt that sustain us. We are doing it through science and will do it for centuries to come.

• Like Like x 1
  12. #72 Sully023, Feb 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2015

snot nosed kid? where did i say i was a kid. (no where near it buddy) I see you also have that habit of information without research. good point.

Im not going to be a loser who sits here an argues. i gave my two cents. Someone said earlier to just be the bigger man and give up between you and the other guy. Dont bother getting all worked up and writing some idiotic response, i wont even see it. Ill be the 'man' here. And end this now. BTW what kind of 'man' at at least 45 (unless you started your 30 years under the age of 15) gets all worked up over the opinion of what he thinks is a inexperienced 'snot nosed kid'.Maturity speaks more than age.

you clearly do not have the intelligence to perceive what you are looking at and are quite naive to propaganda and the business\\.gov world in general. it would take me several months to explain the concepts to you so i won't bother but will say if you ever do come out of your haze, it's going to be brutal on you for quite a while and i wish you luck with that.

• Like Like x 1
    Your comments were not about the subject of the thread. They were about the people posting.

Making derogatory remarks about the people posting, instead of offering some kind of info on the topic, makes you a ##!@ in my book (fill in the blank). I used 'snot nose kid' because I felt that you were being juvenile in your post, regardless of whether you are 20 something or 30 something.

So, what do you want to be when you grow up?

Lots of "science" out there, bro.  Just depends on where you source your information and whether or not you read it all and are able to understand the information being conveyed...

Seeing as how we're getting off topic, this will be my last post on the subject/safety viability of GMO products and the poisons that are used to grow them.  I found paragraph about the USDA's study on pesticide residues to be rather enlightening.  They didn't even test for the most widely used pesticide on the face of the planet due to "cost concerns"!  LOL!  What a joke. Talk about the "fix" being in!  This is one of the MANY was bio-tech companies have managed to convince the public that their products are safe...

Links to studies done on the safety of glyphosate available at the top of the article.

http://www.anh-usa.org/half-of-all-children-will-be-autistic-by-2025-warns-senior-research-scientist-at-mit/

Have a good one!

16. What is not sustainable is the greed, selfishness, and destructive wasteful attitudes of the urban resident. Their desire to live in comfort and likely never pulled a vegetable from a field unless on a kindergarten field trip sets them up for a hypocrisy of gargantuan proportion.

Oh, give us our clean food and water and air, yet they consume like a voracious hurricane, needing more energy from outside their citadels of concrete to create more poison for all.

They are the reason rural areas get stuck with sewage plants, 6 story trash disposal sites, power plants that the 800 residents of a small town are drowned out by the lusts for energy of major cities.

There should be a massive rural restoration tax imposed on cities that extend their waste to rural areas.

Science through bio technology will one day create a GMO organic soil or something like that. It will not be us against them. It will be us and them solving problems. Most people who cry about the issues of farming have no viable solutions. If they did, farmers would jump on it. ADM, Monsanto, DuPont, have done more in a day to feed the cities of the world than any environmental group has done in a lifetime.

17. yes, not a fair comparison, when you grow your own ALL grocerystore tomatoes are unedible regardless of what season you buy them in  or how they were grown. It has to do with varieties planted which are good for shipping rather than taste, And like you say, picking early.

• Like Like x 1
    Talk is cheap. In the real world here and now, you are eithe part of the solution or you are part of the problem.

Some people drive fuel efficient transportation and are responsible in their energy consumption. Some drive around in v8 pickup trucks even though they rarely haul or tow anything. Some people drive v8 cars/trucks half way across the country to park it in the infield of a NASCAR track and participate in a weekend of huge energy waste.

Some people recycle as much as possible, and boycot products that use wasteful individual packaging (convenience food), while some people send huge amounts of trash to the landfill every week.

Personally, I recycle about 3 times as much as I put out for trash pick up. I drive a fuel efficient car. I take the bike (motorcycle) more often than I use the car.

I use LED and sunlight for indoor growing to keep the carbon footprint of my growroom as small as possible, and some pompous moron who can't even keep plants healthy scoffs at the idea of using sunlight indoors and states that I'm not a "real" indoor grower.

I think it's pretty indicative of how self important, greedy, ignorant and lazy the younger generation is becoming.

• Like Like x 1