Hydroponic.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by RedSorcerer, Jun 19, 2008.

1. I have a three plant, 35 gallon system.
    For some reason every time the roots touch the water (they're still small and growing to reach the water) they shrivel up and die.

My ph is at 6.4,
    and I'm using quarter strength nutes.

What could be the problem?

2. You PH is to high, but that shouldn't be killing them like that I could be wrong, anyway your PH should be 5.5 in hydro thats what I run and they are doing great.

3. I keep mine at 5.8.

What kind of nutes? Micro I am assuming. I would cut back on the nutes until your roots have made their way to the water and are settled.

What kind of water are you using? Bottled, tap, or rain?

I use tap water, but each time I flush my reservoir I have to fill up another container the night before so I can let the water sit over night. This gets some of the "natural"? chemicals out of the tap water. I then add my nutes and adjust the pH if necessary.

-C

4. yeh your ph is too high.

5.5 - 6.8 is quite normal levels for hydro whatever method your using but between 5.7 - 6.3 is optimal. this also depends on what strain of ganja your growing plus your growing conditions. (also 5.5 is fine,even lower say 5.0 has been proved too work well, your plants/roots tell you what they like,so you have to adjust to suit & they dont like the level there at just now)

adjust your ph level down slowely over the next week or more till you get to 5.7-5.9,lower at 0.1 everyday,DO NOT ADJUST DRAMATICALLY FROM 6.5 TO 5.7 IN 1 DAY.......

you should check your ph level every 2 or 3 days mate.

As thosevacanteyes says cut back on your nutes ,your using too much just now, try a 1/4 strength of the 1/4 strength your using:D(lol does that make sense?,baked sorry:smoking:)

lol,this reminds me why i stopped growing hydro, you gotta be on top of them all the time & things can turn very quickly,for the worse.

thats what your problem is bud, ph too high for sure plus nutes could be a contributing factor.

all the best:smoking:

5. Thanks for all the help guys.
    I'll lower the ph to 5.7
    However, a couple of days ago. I dumped my tank and refilled it.
    I let my babies chill in there without any nutes.
    THAT'S when they started to die off.
    It wasn't the water either. As I'm using the same water to refill every time.
    and Yes it's tap water indeed.

6. you don't mention if you're using seedlings or clones. 1/4 strength this early for seedlings whose roots don't reach the rez. is a bit strong. does your rez have an air wand in it, that is keeping the roots moist with bursting bubbles? ph of 6.4 is more in the soil range. as mentioned, 5.8 is what you're looking for. no need to wait to adjust ph. things happen fast in hydro. so you have to respond to the plants just as quickly.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I'm using clones, and suprisingly enough, they're at a size that would have 10-15 times as much root mass as they do.

The actual plants look healthy and beautiful. But their roots are struggling.

My blackberry kush had a healthy 4 inch rootmass.
    Once it got a chance to sit in the water for a little bit, it turned yellow, shriveled up and died.

By air wand, I'm assuming you mean air stones.
    and yes, I have 2 mongo ones. (8 inch air plates)
    So there's plenty of bubbles.

I can't imagine what else it could be.

8. are the roots staying wet/moist? if not, then the water level needs to be increased until they do.