Hydroponic Tomatos-400w HPS DWC Tent Style!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Kinetic420, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Well I'm growing rutgers tomato from seed.. Started in 1.5in rockwool cubes...

My setup is:
    400w HPS light
    5gal DWC Bubble bucket
    2'x4'x5' Mylar lined tent
    160cfm Exhaust Vortex-style fan
    Technaflora nutrients
    Stanley Blower (Modified) Intake / AC

It's running alongside my other grow and i figured I might as well make it a thread as well... It won't feel left out now... :D

[​IMG]

If anyone has any experience growing tomatoes Hydroponically please feel free to butt in and give me some advice.. I'm new to hydroponics and I've managed to get this far without killing it but there's still time... :D

Attached Files:

2. looks good dude... are you gonna let some bees loose in there for pollinating? :D :p

3. lol.. Nope.. I've collected some q-tips full of pollen from my grandmother's plants and my fiancee's grandmother's plants.. I've got 'em wrapped in tin foil in the freezer...

Bee's would be cooler though...

4. lol for sure :D
    very cool man.. GL with these! can't wait to see some giant tomatoes!!

5. The hydro shop close to me has just harvested their tomatoes and they are the Deepest red looking healthiest looking tomatoes I've ever seen.. I'm shooting for edible :D

6. Very cool :hello: sub'd :cool:

I've been thinking about starting some hydro veggies so we have fresh produce over the winter :yummy:

Good luck! :smoke: Glad you started a journal for your hydro toms :D

7. Hey man thats a pretty sweet setup. im doing a venus flytrap in a mini bubble bucket. i just transplanted so im not sure how it'll react but so far its going ok. im gonna keep an eye on this thread. good luck

8. Thanks for stoppin by Doin and kind...

I'm excited about it, it's my 1st hydro setup. My soil Tom's did okay until the temps hit 95. They started rotting and splitting open from the bottoms up if I didn't pick them as soon as they turned from green to orange/yellow.

I'll get some more pics up of the roots and the new growth soon... it started getting some yellowing so I gave it a shot of 2-0-0 and cal-mag... It should perk up in a few days...

9. This is great they look great

10. HIGH All, right on Kinetic...me never done one but my LHM did and Grew some of the Best Tom's I've had...he's got some Growing now indoors but in soil not Hydro.

Looking Great...Subbed to this Also!!

11. Ok Update after coffee... Thanks for stoppin in people!

12. I needed to get some work done in the tent today so I went ahead and snapped these.. day 34 from seed...

Attached Files:

13. I meant to put these on here last week... Three pics... One really good root shot :D

Attached Files:

14. Ok.. Sorry no new pics.. I flipped to 12/12 last Friday... 9/3.. As soon as I see preflowers I'll snap some pics

15. New Pic..

Attached Files:

16. I'm lovign this thread amn! Awesome rootball on it already :D

I grew tomatoes in an aeroflo and had some pretty great results. However, my plants flowered without cutting the light cycle. I just eased them into flowering nutrients and they were triggered no problem. I'm not sure if it was jsut my seeds but the extra light may speed up the production.

17. It's funny that you mention that... I'm getting some Pre-flowering action going on on day 8 of 12/12 and day 6 of bloom nutes.. I'll get some pics tomorrow...

18. I am looking forward to seeing how this turns out. I have grown tomatoes in DWC a few times with suitable results. I noticed that yours are looking a little overwatered, as did mine at first. I think it is a DWC thing, tomatoes LOVE oxygen and they don't really get a chance to "dry out" in a bubble bucket. I put a wicked huge air pump on mine and they got better.

I have since switched to a waterfarm. The growth is more rapid, and the vines are stronger. I still use the same nute recipe. At first I was having the same "overwatering" problem while running the drip 24/7 so I put the drip on a timer for 15min every two hours and holy shit, did they ever start to grow.

I guess my point was to try and get more air flowing in there and you will see that slight droop go away. Keep it up and you will seriously never eat another store bought or restaraunt provided tomato again.

19. Thanks for the imput Dizzy!

I have been considering a stronger air pump and better air stones for awhile now... I'm waiting to hear back from a job at the moment and I'm hoping to improve the equipment I'm using as I get the chance.. The other main problem I've had is high temps.. like in the 90's.. I've since run an AC line into the tent and that's been keeping the temps under 90 but for the first 4 weeks or so it was getting burned up...

20. are you monitoring the res temps too or just the air temps? glad to hear the temps are lower with that ac