Hydroponic system?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Hotwheelz, Sep 8, 2009.

1. I have never grown hydroponically and they don't want to screw up my first time.

I just snagged these pictures from another forum, will this work for my low riders from start to finish? I am only going to have five plants so the container will probably be a little smaller.

Tupperware with fish tank bubblers attached to the bottom of the Tupperware tub, fill with water and Hydroponic ferts?

Place the plants in Hydroponic pots with rock wool, rocks, grow rocks. Then place the pots in the cut out lid so that the grow rocks and roots are submerged in the water?

Let plants grow and change the water according to fertilizer change?

Thanks[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. #2 jollyrancher1, Sep 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2009
    Wrap the container with thermal wrap to insulate it and keep out light or your gonna have a big container full of alge.

You might want to add a single unit mister/fogger and it is a bad idea to submerge the plant.

Give space for the roots to "fall" into the soup and keep the space full of fog.

Good luck.

3. thermal wrap? garden store or home depot?

4. Home Depot.

It is used to insulate duct work.

Reflective on one side with a foam barrier and peel to stick adhesive.

5. Or, if you can't find that kind of tape (the Depot around here doesn't carry it), several coats of black spraypaint or a couple layers of black duct tape will work. The main goal is to light-proof it--if you keep your ambient temps down, the nutrient solution will stay around the same temp.

You may be able to find a black Rubbermaid bin (I did) and solve this problem without any additional purchases.

Edit: Additionally, the hydro system in your pic looks like just a bubble cloner. You are never going to grow five plants through flowering in such a small container. I would get one that is at least 20 gallons, and try to get one that has more surface area on the lid and space your plants out as much as possible.

6. Your current rig is a good one to show proof of concept, or prove to yourself you can grow.

I suggest you read some more and get a bigger (much bigger) rig.

7. Thank you this is the kind of information I need, I was going for the general concept.

I have grown in soil once before and did OK but was thinking about trying the Hydro method I might try soil once more before I do the Hydro method.

8. Hydro is a real committment.

It is worth doing correctly if your gonna do it at all. IMHO

I convinced myself of that when I could finally grow stuff that was better then anything I could buy. :D

I gave myself a year as a "learning curve" but it didn't take that long.

Good luck to ya.

9. To get your feet wet in hydro.....you might try Hempy Buckets.....they're a passive hydro system......check out _numb_'s thread. A Hempy adventure

You're basically growing in a soil less medium, with hydro nutes..........in individual buckets. _numb_ does some amazing grows with these buckets. Plus, they're completely forgiving....you can't hardly screw up.