HydroHut HELP plants are about to die.

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by dM2, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Hello fellow growers!

I posted this in the grow room thread but no one helped me.

Ok, I have a medical grow in CA, Growing 2 OG kush clones

Here is the set up:

Room: HydroHut Kindergarden Inside a 3 car garage.
    Lights: 400w mh and 2 bulb t5 Fluorescents
    Ventilation: [Intake: 6" 100 cfm Pc fan] - [Exhaust: 265 cfm 4" blower]
    Air Management: 8" fan & Room humidifier
    Grow Medium: Fox Farm 50/50 mix of Ocean forest/Light Warrior Soil
    Nutrients/Supplements: Grow Big (6-4-4) / Big Bloom (0.01-0.3-0.7) / Tiger Bloom (2-8-4) / Open Sesame / Beastie Bloomz / Cha Ching
    Termperatures: 75 to 84 Humidity 40/67%

The Kindergarden is for cloning/vegetative growing. I'm in vegetative growth right now with the light at 24/0 [24hr on/ 0hr off]. under the 400w MH.
    The plants are about 2 months old and ready for cloning, but not looking the best for cloning. I dont want to clone unheathy plants and have them die. I have not had the time to be 100% in this grow so my plants have seen better days... BUT its time to stop buy and start growing...

How do i run the ventilation right?
    The 100cfm Pc fan is the intake to the tent, pulling in fresh air in from outside the garage and the 265cfm blow is pushing the old air out of the tent and into the garage.

Now heres the deal. I turned the speed controller for the Exhaust blower UP to the middle [half way]. & Put the intake 100cmf PC fan to full blast.

OK the hydro hut I'm growing in is only 55' x 27'x 6'6"

now to find out the cfm in need in the hydro hut,

4.5 x 2.5 foot room with a height of 6.6 foot:
    4.5 x 2.5 x 6.6 = 74.25 cubic feet of air inside the growing area.

Ventilation fans are rated in the number of cubic feet of air they can move per minute = cfm

Divide the air volume of the growing area by the number of minutes required to get one full air change:
    If the room is 74.25 cubic feet, divide by 5 minutes (one air change every 5 minutes)
    cfm

Is this the right way of have the best fresh air for the plants

Powdery Mildew?
    I need to know how to take care of the powdery mildew on the plants in the tent.
    I was thinking of getting a [Sulpher Vaporizer]
    Now is this going to be to much for the small tents?
    How do i add co2 with the Sulpher vaporizer?
    If i cant have a electronic CO2 monitor in the same room as the sulpher vaporizer can i have the co2 monitor outside the tent on the power wall?

So, What am i doing wrong? plants are still dieing off slowy. Not over water, not over nuts,

the new leafs look pal yellow almost white, but the old big fan leafs look dark green. HELP PLZ!

Ill try to get some pics up later on this week.

2. Hey man there is a thread out here with a dozen people saying their plants are mysteriously having trouble in a hydro hut. Your environment sounds fine so your hut might be the problem.

3. dude i had the same problem with a hydrohut.. try a little experiment and take one of your stunted plants out of the hut and throw it in a closet under a CFL for a week and watch all the new growth.
    from what i read (and i read a shitload about this) is that certain batches of huts were produced with lead in the posts.
    once i got rid of my smaller hut my plants thrived.

this is a thread i started when my plants were dying in my hut of death.
    http://forum.grasscity.com/sick-plants-problems/193262-i-m-stumped-need-help.html
    good luck.

4. pulled this quote from another site:

5. Great info August. Do you, by chance, have a link of some sort to the original letter? I know of people on a couple of different forums who would be very interested.

6. There is a lot of info about the HH toxicity problem on IC Mag.

7. i don't man.. i grabbed that off of ICMag as CaliCoast said there's a good amount of info on this over there.
    I had 2 tents the larger if the 2 works great for me and have flowered successfully in it a few times so far. The smaller one would kill anything i put in there whether it was established mj, seedlings or houseplants lol.

8. Yeah, I saw that disaster disguised as a thread on ICMag lol. That's part of why I was hoping there was another source. There's so much vitrol and BS about hydrohuts on that forums it's hard to know which posts to believe lol.

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be anything actually posted anywhere on HH's website. I might look and see if there's anything on the parent company's site.

9. My HH is fine, haven't noticed any ill effects. However my thinking is some of those people are blaming the HH instead of their growing skills and knowledge.

10. maybe so.. but it's pretty hard not to get weed out of the seedling stage whether you have good growing skills or not.
    when i take a plant out of the tent and it thrives.. then put that same plant back in the tent and it stops growing i'll continue to blame the tent and not my growing skills.

11. I bought this Hydrohut Mini two weeks ago. Since then, I have had nothing but problems from my little sprouts. I was sprouting under a 2x2' Floro lamp and moved into the Hydrohut with a 400 MH kept 18/6 and flooding my 3'x'3' ebb and flo twice a day, bottom 1/2 inch of pots are lined with clay pellets under the 4" rockwool cubes...Sprouts are Blue Sonja and Mr. Nice and were growing like gangbusters until about 3 days into the Hydrohut. Using Ionic Grow formula at 30% solution. Temps between 70-80 degrees and Humidity at 30-50%. I changed solution, backed off the light and kept ph around 6-6.5. I have seen some more growth, but all the leaves are yellow/green. I have pulled the Hydrohut canvas/plastic back off the metal frame and folded it up. Hopefully, the plants will begin to recover if the hydrohut is causing the problem...tomorrow I will line the metal frame with panda plastic and see what happens.

Attached Files:

12. First problem is in rockwool pH should be between 5.2-5.8.

13. Ok, this is what I believe it looks like.

I put these in my new hydrohut 5 days ago green!!!

Now they look like this!

I have them in an organic seed-starting soil with 0 nutes in it and have been watering as needed with a light feeding every 2nd or 3rd watering at onyl about 200ppm or so.

They WERE green and now are not..lol. I took 1 out 2 yesterday morning and put under a small cfl in my closet and already is starting to recede in yellowness.

Friggin HH :mad:

I need to decide wether to get a homebox or a darkroom now, but the darkrooms are impossible to find in stock!

Attached Files:

14. that stinks dude.. i'm sorry to hear :( It took me 3 months to finally figure out my problem... i can't tell you how many brands of soil and bottld water i used.. and how many seeds i wasted lol.
    i have a 52 x 52 hydrohut for flower and it's worked great. I guess it's certain models or something.
    best of luck man.

15. hey do u think that effects the 4x4 model, cause im having the similar problem with my plants, check the pic, its bad.

Attached Files:

16. best way to be sure is to take that sickly one out of the hut and put it under a cfl somewhere else for a few days and see what happens. If it grows back and the others get worse, then you have your answer.

good luck man.

17. xelatoth, plants almost look to be sulpher deficient. More likely is the hut. Where is that hut made? What type of fertilizer N P K and all and does it contain micro nutes? Sulpher is pretty rare this early on, the timing leads mwe to be the problem is the hut.

18. called the place i bought the hut from and they told me that I have a habitat made by hydrofarm, so i called them and they had no problems to report.
    my problem I think is that since the hut is in a 2 car garage, wt windows closed and garage door down, the plants are not getting any fresh air, so i have decided to move the hut out of the garage.
    Will keep ya posted and updated, wanted to thank everybody for there help and advise and hope that I am able to pass on or help someone else in the future.:cool:

19. MyFirstBud, yours do not look like the other two guys who have posted(xelatoth, and empire01). I had two failed grows using the hydrohut. Problem looked just like those guys. New Growth was coming in very lite. Mine have been out of the hut for almost two days, and are already starting to develop new growth that is the normal dark green.

The huts are a good idea, but I think they were designed to be in a room with good air circulation. Otherwise you still end up cutting walls to get good air to them and also to exhaust them.

I could have saved money by not buying the hut. Basically, paid $61 to set up my closet for my grow. And I even have the light on a simple pulley to raise and lower it by pulling two strings. I also have more height. MY ceiling is a 9 ft. That extra couple feet is going to be great now.

20. Its the hut man, I been seeing this problem here on GC and rollitup.org for a while now