Hydrogen Peroxide Bath Before Drying???

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by GRAFiKi, Jun 12, 2014.

1. I was at my friend and fellow growers house all night working in the garden and a couple of plants were up for harvest so we cut them and before we hang them up he goes and opens a bucket and says its a hydrogen peroxide and water mix and just dunk the branch for a second let it drip off and then hang it in the dark room to dry.
    The purpose being to wash off any dirt and kill any bugs/eggs or bacteria or any general contaminate.
    My question is is this safe? Does it effect the thc at all? Good idea or bad idea? Need your advice grasscity I've never heard of this one

2. #2 AugustWest, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2014
    he dunks the actual buds in water and hydrogen peroxide?

what bacteria and general contaminates is he talking about?

bugs and eggs? that stuff should be dealt with well before the plant is harvested..

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. #3 IgnorantFool, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2014
    Both water and peroxide are highly polar, so THC shouldn't be affected, but other terpenes could...

My question would be why do this... :confused:

While H2O2 will kill bacteria, it tends to work best at high concentrations and long exposure..."a second" would be rather pointless, and more time would ensure that some of the more polar terpenes would be affected for sure...

4. Lol idk but hydrogen peroxide just doesn't sound like something anyone should be smoking..... Just say it out loud. Hydrogen peroxide. Nope not for these lungs!

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

5. @[member="АugustWest"] i shit you not he removes fan leaves, then dunks the entire branch into a bucket of a solution of peroxide and water i believe something like 4:1, then hangs them puts them on a line to dry.

the drying room is decked out with dehumidifyer, floor a/c unit, is lightproof etc. 

i agree anything like that SHOULD be taken care of before the plant is ever harvested and they keep watch on it the only thing i see continually is gnats, no mites or aphids, that i know of. 

i imagine the hydrogen peroxide would dry off the buds fine...i guess.... theres no reason to be residue.... but you guys are right it may affect some terpenes, but its not a high concentration.

i think its as a just incase, thing. precautions for drying so that any mold spores that would come up in drying are disposed of before contaminating the room. 

still sketches me out this is where i get all the weed ive been using to medicate with from.

6. Water: 2 hydrogen 1 oxygen
    Hydrogen Peroxide: 2 hydrogen, 2 oxygen

The spare oxygen tends to reattach itself to a better molecule, oxidizing it (killing microbes), while leaving behind plain clean water.
    That's why so many growers keep a bottle on hand.

7. I have a slight pm problem that carried through and I'm about to harvest. Was researching how to go about harvest with pm and Jorge Cervantes suggests this. You do the initial trimming of the fan leaves and some of the sugar leaves, then you soak the entire trimmed branch buds and all in a hydrogen peroxide and water bath for about four to five minutes. Then you skim off the top layer of water and pull the branches out and start the drying process with fans and whatnot. Makes a lot of sense actually. Here's the video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7jE7qzfgQs
    Hydrogen peroxide is an unstable molecule, and within short order it breaks down into oxygen and hydrogen, so it will not be around to be smoked.
    Gonna try this out. Seems like a good way to clean the bud before drying.

-growtender

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Jesus fking christ. Is this for real? I can't... whaaaaaaaat? This is a joke right? I thought this was a place to come for helpful information...
    This is the equivalent of saying "H2o... just say it out loud... BREATHING in the shower? INHALING all that H2o (steam)? nope not for these lungs"
    Photons (light)are/is catalyst that decomp peroxide into water and oxygen!
    It's like 3%. The rest is... water. Water and oxygen mixed with water and a little "chemical" that turns into water and oxygen that kills mildew and other toxins before drying is ACTUALLY something that sounds like a GOOD thing!
    I know this is an old thread, but many new subscribers search for help and find it in these older threads... but this.
    Watch the Jorge Cervantes vid on washing powdery mildew. It works best. Not all this lemon and baking soda (again... chemistry! )dunk with the peroxide dunk in the clean water dunk crap.
    I was looking for the best way to dry/cure after the bath... aaaaaaand found this. So on with my search!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  9. After the bath, you dry and cure the same way you would otherwise.
    What's the issue?

10. I'm not sure I would do this but just for info... what's left in the water when he pulls it out??? I'm interested in this because of extreme dust and grass/debris floating in the air landing on the ladies.

11. When I'm done for the day and everything settles, I can see the film of dirt on the bottom of the tub when looking through the rainbow floating in the top. That's the stuff I won't be smoking.

12. Is it actually significant? Also i never looked is it outdoor?

13. #13 Deleted member 638051, Oct 22, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2019
    Yes, I grow outdoors where the wind blows dirt, pollens, insects, etc. and it all lands in my plants.
    I feel it makes a very significant difference because the smoke is "very noticeably" smoother than when not washed. When I smoke weed that hasn't been washed I notice immediately and unmistakably. Even when I pull the smoke through a water pipe.

Even when I smoke weed from a dispensary, I can tell it hasn't been washed because after smoking I'll sit around trying to cough up the frog in my irritated throat for about an hour.
    That shit don't happen when I wash my harvest. That's what I mean by significant difference.

• Like Like x 3
  14. I absolutely agree! I started the HP wash last year. What a difference. Much smoother to vape or smoke. A must for all outdoor growers, especially if you foliar feed your plants, or have had to use any insecticides. Even the natural ones they say have no effect can be tasted and felt in throat irritation so I will always wash off now. I get a scum on the surface of the water after washing that shows how much crap was on them and none of that is thc since it is not soluble in HP. It becomes plain water in moments then drys off the cut branches hung to dry.

15. "it's just hydrogen and oxygen".

Well go cuddle a hydrogen bomb and and crack the valve on an oxygen tank before your next smoke then I guess. Sounds like something from Teaming with Microbes.

I just vaped some peroxide weed. I think combustion has tokers confusing flavor with harshness.. I prefer flavor. Lung expansion, sweaty eyes, cotton mouth, these are mandatory side effects lol

16. I washed my green crack I had a little wpm that I treated a few times. I followed the video and rinsed well. Best bud I've smoked. Smells and tasted great after the cure.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

17. There is hydrogen and oxygen in the air you're breathing right now. Does that scare you?

18. Only if he dunks it again then again in a bucket of clean cold fresh water

but in truth its just not done

better to grow clean

cheers/

• Like Like x 1