Hydro WIlma 4 Pot 1st Try Please Help!

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by Squidgey, Sep 7, 2007.

1. The original formula uses General Hydroponics three part series called FloraGrow, FloraMicro, and FloraBloom. Technically, though, you never actually use any of the FloraGrow in the Lucas formula, so you'd only need the last two. Depending on how big your reservoir is, you might be able to get away with buying just a pint each. My system has a 13 gallon reservoir and I'm still working off the original pint bottles that came with the system, even after draining and refilling the reservoir twice.

Also...I found the information on how to calculate your nute profile for Canna ferts...http://www.angelfire.com/cantina/fourtwenty/articles/premixppm3b.zip. It's a bit complicated, but it'll get the job done for you.

The Lucas article that talks about using the spreadsheet is here - https://www.cannabis-world.org/cw/showthread.php?t=359.

2. Change your name to Help_Giver!!!

Got a whole new bunch of stuff to read now...fab...thank you

*runs off to start reading*

3. Here you go, this is why I needed epsom:

Heavy chemistry lesson, my eyes are spinning with my brain! I don't use Canna Aqua, I use Substra, which is meant for use with tap water. With some comments made recently (ref Mr. Goodstuff) I might have to look in to getting some distilled water...but if the Canna is designed to cope with hard tap water then perhaps I will be making a mistake getting distilled water! AArrrgh!

I'll be back....

4. Had a chat with my fave hydro shop. Have now added half strength Rhizotonic to the tank to aid root formation. Should have started with Rhizotonic when there were no nutes in it...ya live and learn!

The reason I rang them was to see whether it was worthwhile getting an air pump. It is and I ordered one with an airstone!

Plants are coming into their own at some rapid pace...this is very exciting!! So maybe later after they've had their first dose of Rhizo they'll be brown and crispy! :eek: But really it should be safe because Rhizotonic is supposed to be a stress reliever and should help the roots establish.

I have now quite a lot of info with calculating programs and all sorts to read through and try out....

:bolt:

5. One of Lucas's mantras is to keep things simple. He feels that MJ plants don't need a lot of extra stuff to grow well and believes that, often, adding in all the extra stuff beyond the basic nutes actually screws up your grow more that it helps. If you've calculated your nutes correctly using the spreadsheet, then you shouldn't need any extra additives.

Also, remember that the people who run hydro shops are doing so for one purpose - to make money. They WANT to sell you something, and their advice will ALWAYS be centered around that goal. If they're smart they realize that a happy long term customer is worth a lot more than a quick sale and they'll give you the best advice they can even if it means not making a sale that particular day. But they may not be that smart. Also, unless you've specifically told them you're growing weed AND they also have extensive experience growing MJ on their own, then even their best advice may be wrong.

Remember, the Lucas Formula is designed SPECIFICALLY for growing marijuana (and yes, there are other MJ related nute formulas out there that work). I would suggest that whichever formula you decide to use, you should stick with the formula and not try to make adjustments yourself, even if the guy at the hydro shop says it's a good idea.

Just my 2 cents.

6. Fair comment! I already had the Rhizotonic...I just forgot to use it. It is specifically designed for younger plants. I was still cautious with it, preferring half dose. I now have a guide to using Canna which does seem helpful.

I am listening to the Lucas formula advice...and yes I will use it in future. For now I have Canna...lets give it a whirl. If it's shite everyone who reads this journal can benefit from that finding and give it a swerve. And if it's really bad I'll have to change res and go Lucas and hope the plants survive. There is no reason to assume that this will happen as many people have used Canna successfully. But I repeat that I respect your experience and will be switching to Lucas at some point!

I rang asking about the airstone because time and time again I have read on here that it's a great thing to have to provide maximum oxygen to the roots. The hydro guy steered me away from a more expensive pump. (which I almost just bought online last night, but decided to talk to them first). Sure, these people need to make money, that's why they are there. He knew I was a returning customer and was very informative not just about this but also the ferts, so it sounded like honest and informed advice. He also knew what I am growing. That doesn't make him an expert on MJ growing I know, but a lot (obviously) of his customers grow weed....so...well..lets trust him for now. I'm sure the airstone and pump will be advantageous, and I don't believe (yet!) the Rhizotonic will do any harm...should be just the opposite.

'Scuse me while I adjust the pH back down...:D:D:D :eek::p

7. That spreadsheet *is* the Lucas Formula, it's just been adapted for other brands of ferts besides HG. If you plug your Canna info into it then you're using the Lucas Formula for Canna nutes heh.

As for air pumps...I had an expensive one from the hydro store and it died 6 weeks into the grow. I've got a $9 one from Walmart now, and it's going strong. Go figure.

8. Yeah I didn't pay a lot for it ...so hopefully it'll be a good one!! :)

Yes I realise that is the Lucas adaptation. One thing that worries me is that the particular type of canna I use isn't listed...but I don't think it matters cos you just enter the spec on the side of the bottle. My brain is slow and lazy so gimme a couple of days to persuade myself to read it all the way through and try and get to grips with it....then...I'll do something or other..lol...

9. haha...I started to read it through when I found the link last night and then though, "Fuck it! It's his grow, let HIM read the damned thing!" I can relate to not wanting to wade through it lol.

10. Thanks for the good quotes and tidbits of info you pulled together throughout here

And I love the duct wired to the fan in one of your earlier pics, I got the same ventilation idea going in my current grow

Good luck!

11. Thanks for stopping by bro! :) I can't tell you how much GC has helped me. Some have rather different opinions and it can get confusing, but it makes life interesting. But at the end of the day we all want to grow great weed: the buzz you get off your first smoke after all that work and waiting is completely unreal....

Not sure how well the fresh air idea works as I have read that air intake should be at the bottom of the grow room and exhaust from the top. I thought it was worth trying to cool the bulb more with colder air from outside. I'm pretty sure though this is much better than the way it was.

Gotta go see yours......

:bolt:

12. And yours is an old one....where's your new journal? :)

Update iminent! Plants looking great and seem to be growing at quite a pace.

For the chemists among you:

E.C. 1.4....that OK for exactly 3 weeks? No idea which ppm reading to read...there's more than one! Like I said update coming, maybe tonight or tomorrow. Busy day today.....

13. The plan was to update weekly...but things move so fast with hydro!!! Wow! The plants are looking great (well......I dunno; when you've done a bit of LST they always seem to look a bit sad!). I think the last pics are on page 3...this is just 3 days later:

Attached Files:

14. Looking good!

They are so nice and compact!

How old are they today?

and BTW I checked out your first grow, nice job!

15. Thanks mate! :)

Three weeks from seed on 21st...that's yesterday now in UK as we are at 2.20am

16. There's quite a long root out of the bottom of one of the pots already!!!!!!

The roots can't actually get into the res though.

Got an air pump with a little ceramic airstone...love the bubbles! :hello:

17. three weeks huh?

Let the good times roll!

18. Ferts used to date:

Second week introduced Canna Vega Substra A + B at one quarter strength.
    A couple of days ago added Half strength Rhizotonic, which should have been there from week 1 so say Canna. Since adding Rhizotonic there has been a growth spurt that suprised me!
    Just now added Cannazym at one half strength......lets see what it does! :ey: :eek:

Oh and not forgetting Epsom salts. Four small teaspoons. (30L tank)

19. so do you think its alright to leave the salt in the rez? i heard it raises the bad salts for the plant...?