Hydro-to-NoTill: Perpetually Dirty

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by astrohammer, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Totally called it on the slight overwatering, she perked up a good bit today.
    Idk if it was the stage of growth, transplant, or the slight foliar feeding I did with the aloe+coconut, but boy did she color up to a deep green out of no where.

image000000.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Light is currently 3ft+ away on its dimmest
    Probably gonna increase intensity any day now

3. Buy Coast of Maine Platinum grower's or raised bed soil...it is an amazing living soil that can be reused multiple times, without losing its nutrient and mineral concentration.

Sent from my moto e6 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. Thanks for the suggestion. Heard great things about coast of maine.
    Gonna have to see this 80 gallons of soil thru first

5. Start of week 2 image000002.jpg

6. Been thinking, most mycorrhizal products are the popular endo's. But no Ecto.
    Recharge has a great fungal and bacterial list, but comes with added nutrition.
    Started to try and find a product with Endo and Ecto mycorrhiza without any nutritional additions.

And I found MycoApply Endo/Ecto:

4 species Endomycorrhizae:
    Glomus intraradices, Glomus mosseae, Glomus aggregatum, Glomus etunicatu
    ••60,000 Endomycorrhizal Propagules per lb.

7 species Ectomycorrhizae:
    Rhizopogon villosulus, Rhizopogon luteolus, Rhizopogon amylopogon, Rhizopogon fulvigleba, Pisolithus tinctorius, Scleroderma cepa, Scleroderma citrinum
    ••110 million Ectomycorrhizal Propagules per lb.

Definitely curious, so I bought a pound.

Also learned mycorrhiza are able to ideally repopulate and thrive when theres live roots in the soil to share from. Which would add another point for a cover crop. To keep the exudates flowing for the fungi in between crops.
    Still trying to find out which mycorrhizal fungi is saprophytic, if not most of them. Im assuming most of them are decomposers.
    This will definitely be the last benny product I buy. Just want a solid, diverse, pure inoculate source.

7. #112 astrohammer, Apr 18, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    The fungus gnat numbers have increased thats forsure. Might have to invest in some more soil predators. I top dressed around the mulch with some neem meal and watered in with aloe+coconut+fulpower.

Topped as well. So unfortunately havent gone with main lining. Next time. Wanna keep it familiar for now. Which 1 top and LST with a scrog net for support.

Gotta see what to do about the gnats. First time im seeing several walking around on the mulch. And obviously their offspring are surviving.

20210417_193246.jpg 20210417_193251.jpg

8. Start of week 3

Clipped off the very bottom leaves and branches. Doesnt show in the second pic but yup. 20210422_204528.jpg 20210422_204532.jpg

9. Oh yea and fungus gnats are kind of getting worse and worse.

Its odd, its like their thriving purely from the mulch layer

I dont see many predator mites on top of the mulch. Lift it up and look under and its a swarming zerg nest of predator and oribatid mites. Gnat larvae would stand no chance there.

I dont want to completely eliminate gnats with mosquito bits. But I dont think getting more predators would help either cause they might just go down past the mulch layer.

Idk. Ide have to spend a lot of money for more predators compared to mosquito bits. Idk idk but i gotta manage these gnats asap.

10. Why are you resisting wiping out the gnats? You could treat only part of the mulch, perhaps, but I think their numbers would just increase in the untreated portions. Or the bacteria might spread sufficiently to kill all gnats despite how light you go.

Mosquito bits in a spray bottle, spray the mulch light and maybe some of the gnats could survive. I don't have a problem going scorched earth on those little boogers.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1