Hydro tip o the day

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by elroyyboy, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Don't spill pH down on your britches.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1424728949.731137.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Wow. Never knew it would do that.
    Glad I use gloves and I move like a turtle when handling the ups and downs

3. Yeah man.

I learned the same thing in college in Chem lab with dried acid on the counters under my shirtsleeves while I was leaning over.

It's called acid for a reason. :).

I liked these britches too.

4. I'm gonna move them to the garage for safety.
    Better the britches then your skin.

5. Werd.

6. That's kind funny, lucky it was just your pants.

DM

7. Nutrients or ph on a open cut on your finger blows too haha

G

8. Nothing says life is pain quite like hydrochloric acid on your skin... you only make that mistake once!

9. Obvious side tip...don't spill on plants...I have holes on my leaves where I splashed some!!

10. Doesn't that make the jeans worth more now? I thought they priced jeans by the hole now.

11. Very nice area rug. Egyptian?

12. Id say based on price and availability either Chinese or Appalachian.

13. I like your style

14. PH down is an acid, The other day was the first time I thought maybe I should wear some gloves doing this. First day I got a bunch of this on my hand. no burns, tingle, scars, nothing. Ive used shirts and towels to wipe up a drop or two and never noticed anything. Using GH ph down.  What brand are you using?

15. I'm using GH. The skin is probably a little more resilient than britches. Think I might have even set down a soaked rockwool cube on my leg.

The results didn't show until after they'd been laundered.

16. #16 GoldGrower, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2015
    Cotton reacts to acid quite dramatically, I have some ruined clothes too. Even if you rinse out straight away it strips the colour out like bleach lol. It has never harmed my skin, but I've always rinsed it off not long after.

17. Skin contact seems fine as long as you don't have a cut, working outside in winter usually my hands split and let me tell I can feel it haha.

G

I remember handling car batteries when I was a kid, and then wondering what the hell happened to my jeans when they came out of the wash with holes that weren't in them when they went into the washing machine.

19. Wow. I figured it out. It wasn't the wet pH down liquid. It was where I had spilled it outside my grow box, it had dried (changing the concentration) and my knees in the dried residue. When hydrated in the washer, the holes appeared.

Figured this out by not spilling on a second pair of britches but kneeling outside my box on the dried stuff.

More holes. Crap.