Hydro solution???

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by mulli_melli, Mar 13, 2002.

1. I posted the pics so you could check to see what type of bulb you had with the MV Ballast...from your post it is a MV bulb. For "this ballast" you may be able to replace that bulb with the multivapor,,or metalarc bulb. To be sure I would need to know manufacturer,and ballast type,ANSI code,or just post all that is on sticker of MV ballast.

HPS bulb only with HPS ballast..

Tap....refers to the leads that you would hook to "power source"

[​IMG]

2. I don't have any coating on the bulb, does this mean that i' gonna grow scales and all from the radiation. I can explain bloodahot eyes to people but I don't know about scales or anything like that.

Seriousely though, I have 4x40 watt flouros that I can put in the hydro cabinet until I harvest the other cabinet that has the flowering plants. There are 3 hydro plants and 2 flowering so it's not like i'm trying to light up Soldier Field or anything like that. The Flouros have done me good in the past, They don't hurt a plant that's for sure. Oh well we'll see how it turns out.

3. Sorry mate, I've got it this time...I hope!

OK I have everything in the computer room, right next to me. Lets suss this shit out...

Now what your saying is I need a different globe for the MV ballast (multivapour or metal arc) or a HPS globe for the HPS ballast. Correct??

That makes sense....now the sticker on the MV ballast reads;

THORN
    FLN400MV
    240v 50Hz 2.000
    USE THORN MBF400
    MV 400w MBF GES MERCURY VAPOUR
    LAMP ONLY

Hope you can make sense of that. Thanks for this Ndica. :)

Oh and for the 'tap' thing if your referring to the power cord, both ballast have one! And at the other end is a power point reciever.

4. You got it this time....here is a link that may help you further...good luck..

http://www.thorn.com.hk/

[​IMG]

6. Thanks for the help ndica. Will do, Guess i will have to put the mv outside as a security light, that's what it wh\as intended for. It was only 32 bucks at home value center.

Thanks again for the help.

7. I'm jumping in on this light arguement.

When looking at HID lights (either MH or HPS) the choices were MH as the cheaper way out or HPS, the more expensive version.

MH does better for veg
    HPS for flowering

I couldn't afford two diferent, hardly could buy one.

So then it came down to.....

Which type worked better for the entire cycle. A MH vegs great but is so-so to OK on the flower end. The HPS does OK for veg but great for flower.

BINGO, there's the answer, maximize the flowering potential. I chose the HPS. So for the majority of personal growers (Notice I'm excluding commerciasl growers - which I wouldn't expect them to need my help anyway) I will always recommend the HPS lights for advanced growing. Fluoros do a very good job for growers, but if you are ready to take your grow level up a notch, go with HPS.

8. My grow box is finished minior a few adjustments that have to be made. I have the MV cranking on my seedling, it's about 3foot away.

I rang the hydro shop today and priced a HPS globe for $65. So I'll get one of those soon as I can, and swap light set-ups. Everyone seems to agree there the best.

Quick question on lightening periods. What light cycle should I start out with?? How many light hrs and how many dark hrs??

9. 18 on/ 6 off to veg

12 on/ 12 off to flower.

10. would there be better growth if the lights were on for 24/7 during the veg stage? Or is it not worth the electric bills!