Hydro Questions

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by UpAndComer, Aug 3, 2014.

1. so i was looking at hydro set ups and it seems im the only one with a fish pump that goes into the water.... everyone elses is outside the tub and using air stones im only using my unit to root clones and it works but still did i do something wrong lol i tryed to ask the lady at the pet shop for a pump with a air stone but she assured me that this motorised thing that puts airation into the water would do the same job i dont think she knew i was growing though haha

2. Just buy the air pump go to Walmart by the fish stuff get black tubes no clear cause lg will get in your water and you should see some air stones

Sent from my XT1058 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Sounds like she sold you a powerhead or submersible water pump. You can add oxygen to water simply by moving it enough but I wouldnt trust it for a dwc setup. Cloning machines often use submersible pumps but the water is aerated by forcing through nozzles and use higher volume pumps than you would see on a small  fish tank. Some powerheads will have a place to hook an air line to draw in air but the airline would have to be ran out of the water. If it works for you then awesome, but it does sound like you may have the wrong thing. Post a picture  and Im sure we can tell exactly what she sold you.

4. #4 UpAndComer, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2014
    the one i got at the moment i have a 60 litre plastic fish bin for 16 clones and i have a 180 litre fish pump thats submergable it works better if the bottom of the unit is at the bottom of the fish bin and the top is at the top of the fis bin like on a 45 degree angle if i put it any other way it sounds like it doesnt work and there is a hose that needs to be out of the water and above water lvl and im guessing thats where it draws the oxygen in to be able to put it into the water? the clones have rooted but im wondering if i should of got something more practical