hydro newbie!

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by ripcordres, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Built this little flood and drain setup! Can anyone suggest things to make it optimum. Reservoir has 15 of 36 possible gallons. Flooding about 8 gallons to the plants. Fills in 3 1/2 mins with timer on for 15 min. Have tomatoes in there for the maiden voyage while the beauties are finishing in soil! Using gh grow/micro/bloom all 5ml/gallon. Also cal mag added!

20121006_223929.jpg

20121007_214451.jpg

20121008_185744.jpg

20121007_214554.jpg

20121007_195705.jpg

20121007_192339.jpg

20121008_203905.jpg

2. What lights, fans, filters, and pH adjusters are you using?

I just started growing as well. Im doing tomatoes right now. Ill post a pic later.

3. looks good man.. You may have some issues with the root structure..
    6 plants will fill that tub with roots...nice job though dude

4. I'm using small 32w 6700k cfl's for now. I have 2 400w hps and a mh that are currently in use with another project for 4-6 more weeks. I'm using the gh flora series along with a little calmag. Gh ph adjusters as well. I have an activated charcoal filter exhausting some of the smell

5. What problems might there be with the roots filling the tub? Will it clog the fill/drain?

6. exactly...and possible root bound...
    the stronger plants will sqeeze out the weaker ones..
    been there done that..lol

7. #7 ripcordres, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2012
    Right On!, thats the kinda feedback i need. For a 10 gallon container, how many plants will be able to hold their own in there....3...4? That first one has 6 tomato plants but when i expand it to the 2nd tote that one will hold my beauties. Everything I am reading is saying that the two plants dig the same food stuff to flourish so were gonna see. Once I add the 2nd flood table I am going to add another 10 gallons to the reservoir for a total of 25 gallons in the reservoir. It is big enough to hold more, I just don't want to have extra just for the hell of it! Am I thinking to much on this or do you think it will work. I am working with soil now and its just too hands on for my lifestyle lol. I like spending time with the babys, but carrying water everyday and up-potting every few weeks blows donkey balls! lol. I am not going to ignore them or anything like that just looking for lower maintenance. Later !

8. one per bucket saves a lot of agro if you need to pull a plant out (male or sick).
    if the res gets to hot and you need to cool the nutes you can damage the masive root ball you WILL have. if you end up puting frozen bottles in.

have you seen this http://forum.grasscity.com/do-yourself/600352-budslingers-recirculating-bubble-buckets.html it's very easy system to make, i'm on my second run with it and love it.
    the best bit is you can get the res outside the grow room.
    middy