Hydro grow??

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by r0dr1g0559, Jul 24, 2011.

1. I just grow in soil and never tried hydro. What's the benefits and problems growing with hydro? how much do the systems cost? Or do you just recommend using soil?

2. Hydro grows faster, which is good, but problems arise faster too, so you have to pay closer attention.

One benefit w/ hydro is that if you're shit gets all fucked up ph out of whack god knows what going on down there w/ the roots, unlike soil, you can just drain it, clean it and start over and your plants will recover quickly.

3. Do you know how much money will it cost? And is it hard to set up?

4. Depends on how you wanna do it.

I grow in a grow tent, in a closet w/ 2 bubble buckets and I use relatively cheap fertilizer. Paid about $200 or so for the light. Altogether about $600 and I'm able to grow more than enough for personal smoke without any smell or a whole lot of maintenance.

5. Oh ok. Imma build a homemade one seems cheaper. One question how do u start to grow? Do u germinate it on soil then put it into the hydro system once it's big enough? Or how does it work?

6. Germination can be done in a variety of ways...I'm personally a fan of the paper towel, water, zip lock old fashioned method. Or, you can buy hydro plugs. Once they pop, they go in the system. But there is tons to learn and this site has mostly all the info you need.

7. I just put the seeds straight into rockwool and they usually sprout in a day or two. Wouldn't wanna mix dirt w/ hydro. Might make your water yucky.

8. OH k 3 weeks into flowering. yesterday i went in to check on em and one was completely dead. The stalk/ stem was all mushy/ rotten. All the other plants look

great! this one was right next to the drain. My friend said that i am watering too much. I was watering 8 times a day every three hours. I cut it down to 6 times a

day and every 4 hours. What do you think? Do you think that i diagnosed the problem correctly and & am i going about it in the right way to fix it to ensure

that i don't lose my crop.

9. #9 r0dr1g0559, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Why did your plant get all mushy/rotten?

10. Don't water those things until the soil is dry up top. It's hard to come up w/ a set schedule for watering, or a set amount of nutes in hydro because each plant has different needs in different environments. The best thing I learned about growing was not to look at make sure 'all your numbers are "right", but to look at the plant daily and see what it needs. Keep your ph in check and pay close attention to the leaf tips which is where trouble usually shows up first. 8 times a day, or even 6 times is alot of water dude. If your leaves aren't standing tall, or if they're sagging at all, more than likely they're overwatered. Best of luck dude.

11. The Ph and everything els is good, I think that i might have been watering it too much.

I cut the watering down to 4 times daily. and the PPM is about 600

week3 flower.

12. Its Hydro

13. Its a Ebb n Flow Hydro table Using expanded clay as the medium.

14. Im not sure, Iv grown a few years soil, this is the first time hydro. But I Have cut down the watering to 4 times daily. So ill just have to pay close attention this next week and adjust as needed.

15. This is my two cent. I like hydro. Yes, it is less forgiving than soil. and I finally knows what that means. But it has its cons. You can adjust the nutes to suite your growing needs. I tried soil and found that it was hard to keep the nutes and water adjusted. With hydro, watering isn't a problem and the nutes are added by the grower. As long as you follow the formula, you'll be fine. I'm growing in hydro and everything seems to be fine.