HYDRO EXPERIMENT: help??

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Purplepackz, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Hey guys this is my first thread and I need some expert advice.

Recently I used a method where I cut six perfect holes in the lid of a 18gal tub. I filled up my six pots with hydro rocks and clones from the club and let the pots rest in the holes. Then I filled my tub with distilled water mixed w/ light nutes so the water would come up to the roots. To get air into the water I used two fishtank airpumps with small hoses attatched. Every week we take out our plants, clean the tub, change the water, and add more nutrients. Is this method effective at keeping the roots oxygenated while they sit in the water almost 24/7? Lighting is not a concern but I use 400wat for veg 1000 for flower, also they are growing in my bedroom closet. I've actually already done the whole cycle this way twice but both times my bud yeild was very small with more hairs than actual bud. I know something can't be right please help me!!

2. I just need to know if the roots need more oxygen than that to fully bud. My roommate says yes but I really need more expert advice even if it sounds helps simple. ANYBODY??

3. #3 janemba, Nov 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2009
    more air is good, but if u have alot of bubbles in the rez then it should be fine, are u see'n any deficiencies? what kinda nutrients are u using?
    but really none of that matters if u dont start with high quality genetics! ie its probably genetic... where did u get ur seeds or clones?

4. genetics

5. Is there any kind of air stones on your hosing? Small bubbles are more easily absorbed by the water and get trappped in the root ball.

6. Not an expert but you need airflow or co2 in the closet. The hairy buds sounds like heat stress. 74F/84F is the sweet spot. Whats your ph & temperature? Are your lights aircooled? You would get more/better buds by growing 2 bigger plants (20"-30"b4 flowering) than 6 small/medium crammed in 18gal tote. Consider a 30gal tote for 4 ladies (w/7 gallons of water changed every 10/14 days; dual 5" bubble discs, water/nute pump on timer 1hr 4x daily). Basically a larger stealth hydro setup. But don't be beliveing me cause I'm high.

7. Ok so it doesn't seem like the roots actually being submerged in water is a huge problem as long as I keep the air flowing through the water. I did have a airstone but I thought that would help bring more air to the water (wrong/right?). I used some foxfarm nutes for veg and a floranova bloom for flowering, I used alot of nutes (1 tblsp per gallon). Heat stress was a concern, but I had two fans blowing across the lights, it gets hot quick in my closet. What does a plant look like under heat stress? I figured having them so close together couldn't be good, you say four plants per 30 gal tub equals better bud right? I can't tell you how helpful you have already been, thanks guys!

8. As a newbie to hydro (and grow forums), I began my last grow with a bubble/drip in an 18G tote. All that nute was a total waste, and what a pain to drain/clean and brew new nutes every 2 weeks- not to mention the root rot that killed most of the plants due to not being able to dial in the drip head! Talk about labor intensive. :eek:

I made a much smaller 12 qt tote and transfered my plants to it. As the roots got bigger I found a tote with the same table size but almost twice the volume, so I transfered to it. I had to do this again to a 12 G tote.

All the while I am thinking this is ridiculous! Then I came across a thread on IC that really opened my eyes as to the simplest way to grow - TAG. You might google somethng like tag indoor grow or tag marajuana...:confused:

I began incorporating various aspects of the TAG methods into the last half of my first grow. You could literally see the improvements within days.

I wound up with 4+ ozs (wet- drying now) under one LED UFO 90 from Sunshine Systems:hello: