hybrids and seed production

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by obejii, Jun 1, 2008.

1. k so i recently recived my seeds in the mail and i want to start doing some hobby breeding.

And i also would like to make more seed of the pure strain for the future. if i plant all 10 seeds of any strain and allowed the males to co exist with the females i would get the pure strain seeds, how would seeding the bud affect the thc content and potency?
    would it be worth it to do somthing like that?

whats the easiest way to breed hemp?

i have a few ideas for what i think might be good hybrids,
    the seeds i have are;

Blueberry
    Ice
    Afghan
    Thc Bomb
    Orange Thunder(Cali Orange X Alaskan Thunder fuck)
    Purple Widow (Power Purple X White Widow)
    Thai Stick

These are all the strains i have access to at the moment , if any of you reading this have bred before and know what mixes well or has any advice they can give or ideas for hybrids using the above mentioned strains i would greatly appreciate your input.

2. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I wouldn't start breeding just yet. If you haven't purchased/read Jorge Cervante's bible, I would suggest doing so. The breeding section is a bit skimpy, but It'll at least give you an introduction to breeding. He also gives a few other books that he recommends if you plan on starting to breed. Also, the way cannabis is bred makes it harder for you, the purchaser of seeds, to breed them. If you buy 10 seeds and grow them all out, and then breed them, chances are that your offspring will be not as wanted as all of your original plants. When a seedbank sells you seeds, they sell what they believe to be well-bred. This means taking plants with mostly homozygous traits of everything they want in a plant, breeding them, and then they give the seeds to you.

Breeding would be especially hard with all of those hybrids...If you tried breeding the F1 hybrid strains that you have at the bottom of your list, I think you'd be disappointed with results. If I were you, I would definitely pick up some reading materials. Otherwise, good luck if you're going to try it anyways :) Either way I'll be anxious to see results.

3. Just outta curiosity, what are these big surprises he'd be headed for? I don't understand the dire consequences of breeding some seeds. I don't think anyone can say they know the genetics of seeds produced anywhere but in their personal garden, and even then only for a few successive generations, so to tell someone they are more or less doomed to failure when trying to get plants to fuck because they are ignorant of the finer details seems to be jumping the gun a little... cavemen could fit things in the right places, and they didn't even have VCR's by then...

I say go to it... get them plants all sexed up! Good luck, and happy breeding!

E4A2S

4. I'm not sure i understand as to why the genetics would break down so much from one generation as to be less desirable. would not 2 seeds of the same strain create the same strain as both sets of genetics are extremely similar.

also what does seeded bud do to the potency?

5. bump anyone?

6. bump bump

7. It all comes down to genes and punnet squares. Basic biology stuff....A plant from a seedbank may have some recessive genes in it, but have a dominant gene (that happens to be good) showing up, like maybe extra potency. If you breed 2 plants that are both potent, but both have the recessive gene for potency (meaning you'd get low potency plants for your generation of breeded plants) then they could end up making plants that have both low potency, even if both parents are high potency plants.

That's why a lot of strains have to be inbred, is because once they're crossed, a lot of unwanted (possibly dominant, possibly recessive) genes can come into the family.

I haven't read up much on the subject, maybe that's why i feel like i'm not explaining it all that well....if you just read the breeding section in Jorge's bible I'm sure you'd understand.