Hybrid x Hybrid pollination

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by JohnnyEvergreen, Mar 19, 2018.

1. I have glanced at Durban Poison a time or two but havent really given it a second though honestly. Nothing against the strain itself because I've seen many journals and it appears to be an absolutely beautiful strain with plenty of potency to boot but I just kind of pushed it to the side.

It's neat that you brought up Hindu Kush though as I've given it a spot in the top 10 list that I might use to breed with this particular strain, along with the Afgoo strain.

As far as Satvia/Indica dominant preference goes...I am not usually partial to either but in this case I think sativa has the upper hand. The strain I am working with at the moment is a little to sleep inducing and I think it could use a kick to the Upbeat Euphoric side. Granted each strain has an alternate effect regardless of Sativa/Indica labeling, I'd like to experiment with one known to produce the enhanced active high.

As far as landrace locale goes, I am partial. I believe to want to use a plant that comes from the same latitudinal location but not necessarily the same geographical region.

Ex. (Kenya x Congo) both fall almost directly on 5 North to 5 South latitude.

• Like Like x 2
  2. You’re the kind of person that I made this GC profile for. Like you, I’m somewhat of a breeder, and these are the sorta topics that interest me most.

Just here to say Hi for now!

I haven’t read every page on this thread yet, so give me a min to catch up

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 3
  3. So now that I’m slightly caught up, can I speak up about my next “landrace project” with you guys?
    I’m currently waiting for seeds though, so it’s all talk at the moment.

I had a GHS White Widow from a previous batch; Brazil x Indian

At first I didnt know nor intend to do anything with it. But about a week ago I found myself reading the description again. Apparently the Strain was created with Aryan the GHS guy, and Ingemar, the founder of De Sjamaan seeds.

That lead me to check out that seed company. And right away, I was ecstatic because I’m always on the look out for respected REGULAR seed retailers.

From there I started looking into more Brazilian-based strains. The first place I looked was World Seeds of course, and their Brazil Amazonia looks promising; i.e cheap. Then eventually I found a few others, including Utopia Haze from a favorite seedcompany of mine, Barneys Farm.

After a closer look, De Sjamaan looks okay.... even though damn near EVERYTHING they sell is a random WW cross
    However, their “Lemon” and Widow 2004 don’t look too bad.

Goal:
    My goals for this project may change several times before it’s finished, especially if some awesome phenotypes appear.

Basically my goal is to retain the frosty trichomes, while improving the smell exponentially. I don’t want a single hint of skunk coming off during the grow. I hope to breed “low-smell” strains for my fellow incognito greenthumbs. I want my filter to think it’s venting out straight fruit.

And I wouldn’t complain if the taste reflects it’s fruity smell either.

I prefer short & squat stature, while retaining that balanced high as well.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Afgoo is a great strain, I’ve only had it in concentrate form, so it may be a hash plant kinda strain. But if you’re looking to add that extra “Go get ‘em” sativa is definetly the way to go. It sounds like you’ve got a sativa dominant hybrid as your starting strain, buuuut if you’re trying to breed out that couch lock vibe you’re getting...Durban poison maaay be a good place to start..given I don’t know anything about how it grows..or even what you’re looking for for your final product(what’s the goal btw?).

Kush is supposed to be a dream to grow..but will bring you down more as far as effects go, whichever way you go though, I’m eager to follow along

-GM
    Mini Box SOG

• Like Like x 1
  5. #45 JohnnyEvergreen, Jul 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    Nice man, it sounds like you are getting your research done and have an interesting plan laid out. I too looked into the Brazilian Amazonia about a year ago but never pulled the trigger. I would have liked to give it a try just to see its capabilities.

As far as the "low" fruity smell goes I am sure you'll be able to replicate what you are desiring. There are many low smell strains to work with and with the right techniques you will more than likely round the offspring into a fruit basket of smells that hide under the nose until shaken or moved. Or if you catch a few strong fruit smells, that I assume would be fair game as well? If it reflects in the taste then Bingo! You've got what you are looking for.

Thinking indica dominant?

• Like Like x 3
  6. I agree with the Durban Poison idea as it does seem like a hardy gene pool to pull from with at least a shrivel of known stability. To be honest I guess part of me holds back though because I am selfish in the form that I know many people have used that particular strain in breeding programs for a while now and kind of want to get my hands on something a little more covert in the sense of a strain being known less heavily by the masses.

As far as goals go man I really have so many ideas in circulation that I can't pinpoint an exact set of ideals to use as of this moment. I am still in the beginning stages of Pheno hunting in regards to my starter strain and probably won't sit down and lay out a foundation for the complete goal(end product) until I hit a few goals on this particular project.

I did a controlled pollination and in return received about 45 seeds. I dusted the female vary lightly with pollen and with hindsight now wish I would have fertilized at least one more area. That way I could have opened the flood gates a little wider and maybe would be able to see a larger variety of offspring trait selection.

All and all I don't have a huge time frame to get lost in though and will probably be growing out another strain or two pheno hunting with them in a relatively short period of time. 45 seeds will go quick and of course I might breed and tweak several phenos as the ride extends, this should be a shorter venture than normal(1000+ seeds).

I meant to ask the other day, how's the family strain coming along? I haven't been on GC enough lately to catch up on everyone's journals but later today I will be doing just so.

Working on the house has been keeping my hands tied and my phone has been about as useful as a rock rock in the woods. My charging port is utterly fucked so it charges one day and is dead the rest of the time. I think in the past 5 days it's been charged twice. Oh well I don't mind, I think we can all use breaks from our phones once and a while anyways haha.

• Like Like x 2
  7. I hear you there Man, I’m all about going off the beaten path. Doing it that way will assure you(a bit more at least)you’d be getting a far more original strain at the end.

The first batch was just about a failure..I forgot I popped seeds(had a busy week) and by the time I planted them the tap roots were so long most broke when I open the paper towel..but I just started a second(much smaller) batch. Figured if I’m going Tj forget again I’d rather forget I popped 5 seeds instead of 20 like last time. But the baby that has come up looks pretty good so far.
    I’ve got high hopes, which maaay be a bad thing as I’ve got no real idea as to the strain I’m working with other than “he had plants over 6 feet tall on the back deck” ... but even if it’s just a base that i basically implant traits I want onto.. we’ll see how this first one flowers out, I’m going straight from seed to flower no clones or anything to get an idea about A. How long it will flower for B. How good the smoke is

This little breeding adventure will really start to take off though when I move into my new place and set up a tent.

-GM
    Mini Box SOG

• Like Like x 2
  8. Dang man that sounds a bit despairing, all of those babies and nothing to show for their entrance into the world. Good news is that you've got more to accompany the lonely survivor(s) though and I bet you'll keep a more watchful eye this time.

Don't let high hopes be a bad thing haha. If anything it'll give you added motivation to press on through the rough patches until you find what you are looking for as far as selection of traits go. Plus like you said, you can use it as a foundation in which to add other traits through breeding if you find it lacking anywhere, as is about par for all breeding programs lol.

Looks like we're in the same boat as far as getting this adventure started is concerned. More space is all that's left to push me over the edge. How close are you to moving? I am like 2-3weeks away, as a matter of fact I just put in my 2 weeks notice at my weekend job yesterday.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Nice man, im not going so far that I’ve gotta get a new job. But my girl and I are moving to a 3 bedroom here in the city, we move in sep. 1st. Won’t b upgrading the setup immediately but it will be coming soon after the move. It’s about a 8x6 room with a closet. Going to use my current veg area paired with a 4x4 tent, maybe even use the box as a larger veg area to get plants ready to be moved...or even a place to flower out males for pollen..who knows. But it should be a good time lol

-GM
    Mini Box SOG

• Like Like x 1
  10. Well I got the inside grow up and running just about to full capacity as far as lights to plants go my. Sage and sour is huge. After I pulled it over it was almost 6ft across. I still have to pull it a little bit more and it'll probably shrink down to closer to 5 feet by the time I get done pulling it over the rest of the way next week.

So I've been studying a new strategy. I thinking I'm going to start grafting so I can keep my numbers down so I can do the things that I want to do cuz I can't do what I want to do cuz I have no room. It's freaking hard as heck to grow and pollinate and experiment.
    I've been studying grafting in detail over the last week or so and I think I can do it.
    I'll grab some of my best strains and graft them on to the best root ball I have. I have many different strains to grow grapefruit balls all I got to do is pick one the Bubba Kush she's got a great root ball on a very strong plant and so does it's a mango the White Widow not so much Chem Barry Diesel has great root ball on it too survival techniques of grafting.
    I believe the T budding method maybe my best choice but there's several of them it'll work I just think that one here by be my easiest way to do it I'm going to modify it per the instructions that they give me but it's the same thing I'm just going to use a stem rather than use just a bud. I'll do them one at a time until I have all the labeled first rain branches of all the strains I want to put on one or two mothers and then I'll just maintain them and take cuttings off in those branches peruse and make clones from them[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

sent sitting in my garden

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Not to much on this end brother, I’ll be gearing back up shortly though. I’ve got an idea with unknown certainty to toy around with and come to a conclusion about. On in which I might just put into trial.

Beautiful plants by the way. Vigorous and vivid.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Thanks Johnny. I haven’t been following my veg area much in the journal, but the babies are doing well and with any luck I can use the growth of these to really tell what the strain can do so when I’ve got a bigger tent I can really get this little breeding adventure under way

-GM
    Mini Box SOG

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hey Johnny Evergreen.
    I think I am ready. I started popping seeds.
    By the time my flowering plants finishes the seedlings should be big enough to work with.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

sent sitting in my garden