Hybrid x Hybrid pollination

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by JohnnyEvergreen, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Sounds good...
    Will you store any of the pollen?

I am at a slow point just now. I got too many things going on. And can not devote the time to breeding just now.

Getting the outside grow ready is #1 on the list. Then I got surgery
    On my shoulder the 2nd of May
    So I'm trying to get as much suff done as I can since I'll be one armed for at lest 1 month up to 3

Good luck on the breeding.
    I'll start next month.

I'll be watching.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  2. Good luck with your surgery. I wish you a swift recovery at God speed. Hopefully you'll recuperate more quickly than you imagine as of now.

As for the pollen cache, I might attempt it. Just to get some practice for later endeavors. It could never hurt, and honestly I'll need the experience with this being my first shot at it. If I don't do so hot though, it'll be okay.

Either way, I will be updating soon because I have a feeling in the next week or two my male will be dropping mass amounts of pollen. As for the chick, she's ready with hairs popping and ovules becoming aware. It's going to be a fun ride to say the least haha.

Grab your 3-D glasses and a large popcorn. The movie is about to start. :popcorn:

J Evergreen

• Like Like x 2
  3. Thanks for the best wishes.

Yeah good luck with that you know you can store that pollen up to a month without having to do anything special to it.
    I guess from what I've read they don't recommend freezing it but if you had in a very airtight container.... something that was void of air an airtight like a vacuum seal.
    you should be able to store it and some of it should survive it I would think as long as you didn't get wet that's the thing if it gets wet it's no good.

I just want to have two hands to be able to handle what I'm doing so I don't spill any of the stuff I won't have two hands until probably mid-june.
    I don't know how fast I'll heal but I'm sure I won't be doing anything with the right hand for a while anyways. no two-fisted drinking here... LOL

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hey guys, so I have had a minor set back but don't worry, it was planned.

Looking back at it now, I should have taken several cuttings of the pistillate plant and disbursed them into a safe spot away from the pollen of the staminate plant and just let the pollination happen side by side in a sealed tent with the two mature plants.

Instead I chose to take a few clones of each plant and added them to an isolated tent. I'll then save one female before the pollen falls and replace the plant I've got going now with it at harvest. That will then be the que to pollinate the few other female cuttings with the pollen of the few male cuttings Ive saved.

So I've basically extended the time by weeks, which is inconvenient to anyone keeping up and expecting a pollination soon, for that I am sorry. I just got a little carried away and made a homemade cloner and wanted to get some experience taking clones, which so far I can say has been a success. I will soon take a few pictures of the clones and establish a time frame for this controlled pollination to begin.

For now, take care. I shall be back and with pictures and experience on a new part of cannabis horticulture.

J Evergreen

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Right on brother, have you started any seeds that could be a possible male or on a hiatus period for now?

I'll check out your journal soon, I think I've actually been on it once or twice but have yet to catch up all the way so I'm unaware of your situation at the moment.

J Evergreen

• Like Like x 2
  6. I’m currently growing clones from my JGR bagseed (female) and I have two new seeds from an unknown strain that are 12/12 flowering from seed on day 4 or so. Hopefully I’ll get one male ok female from them.

-GM
    My Current Grow Journal

https://forum.grasscity.com/index.p...x.php?threads/Grow-journal-Bag-seeds.1475047/

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 2
  7. The adventure is just about to hit full steam ahead @Gr33nMike.

I constructed a significantly more modest pollination arrangement than previously planned. One in which I only chose a minscule amount of sectors to fertilize with fair results. I have accumulated a platoon of future soil soldiers(13 I think)so far. With more I'm sure in the buds that have yet to be scavenged through.

My only concern is that there may be a genetic tendency to hermie that could potentially manifest in this next population. As it has a back cross or two already in its genes from what I can evaluate, but then again it's more conceivable that I'd have a higher probability to find BlackBeards treasure, then I would tracing all of a previous plants' possible parents and their many deviates lol.

I am looking for 3 main things with of course many subsidiaries but those being,
    • Health + Vigor
    • More skunk characteristics(taste,smell,etc)
    • Purpling(rare,isolated)
    I will be looking for many other things as well but those are what I consider the objectives right now. The hopeful destination is a plant with a blueberry+skunk smell/taste, definite couch lock effect, with a heftier high that last longer with greater THC productivity that'll add a punch to the smoke. If I could find a purple pheno amongst all of that then fortune would certainly be smiling apon me but I know my odds are impractical. May the Ganja gods bless me on the journey forward, I'm certainly going to need it.

How has your program unfolded and have you sexed those JGR badseeds yet? I'm looking forward to seeing how that expedition is working out for you. I've been slightly incoherent to others' journals lately as I've been busy studying and re-working ideas behind the no-till method. Re-covering the subject is really a better way to describe it. I'll try to catch back up soon.

Thanks for popping back in I have been neglecting this thread. Luckily I've progressed some with the idea, even in the absence of literature. :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Sounds fun man..I forget, what strain(s) are you working from?
    My single JGR bagseed was a female.. I cloned that plant to shit and got rid of it..now I’ve got 8 total clones still from it, 6 should be moving to flower in a couple days. I have 4 seedlings 1 White Widdow, 1 Bubba Kush, 1 that my bud guy called INC...no idea what that means, and a seed I just popped from a skunk strain my great granddad grew when he was alive..

-GM
    My Current Grow Journal

https://forum.grasscity.com/index.p...x.php?threads/Grow-journal-Bag-seeds.1475047/

• Like Like x 1
  9. Gotcha. I see now, I must have confused my self somehow lol. Your new stock sounds interesting though, especially the Skunk strain. What's the back story to that one? You've jogged my curiosity now. :GettingStoned:

As for what strain I am working with, it is a Blue Mystic plant. As best as I can navigate it's lineage at the moment, I see potentially NL x Blueberry x Skunk but I suppose there could be a vast populous of parent plants or other crosses and their parents involved, in which I'd never be able to fully trace back to its roots.

If my previous theory holds any merits, that would mean it would already have a few back crosses that are not so distant in its lineage, so I am kind of nervous about the move forward. They're certainly are risks mixed in with the rewards on this one. I could imagine all of the characteristics if I'd have received 1000 seeds from the controlled pollination, but I think we'll have some interesting traits display anyways. Even with the limited collection. The selecting and evaluating of such a big population(1000+) would be for sure some fun work though. Maybe one of us will get around to it some day. :laughing:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Seriously...if only I had a nice empty 100x50 space to just grow a straight up forest with some real lights and a truly controlled environment...I don’t REALLY know the backstory on this skunk strain..my grandmother came up from the southern US and she brought me a ton of seeds, some were from this strain she’d just smoked and ye rest from this “skunk strain” her father grew when he was around...I can’t imagine how much this guy must’ve grown or just how long she held on to the stash...seeing as my bump-a died when I was like 5..and he was in no shape to be growing his own crop before he went....but I’m SUPER excited to see how it comes out..once ive moved I’ll grow a full crop or two of them to try and improve on it and hopefully stabilize a “family strain”...

-GM
    My Current Grow Journal

• Like Like x 2
  11. #33 JohnnyEvergreen, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    I am in the process of moving to a bigger place but couldn't help my self.

I planted a seed from the BM x BM cross so I could have something enjoyable to do. I love these plants and everything about them.
    IMG_4303.GIF

Such a magnetic effect cannabis has on the soul.

Welcome!

• Day 1
    • Day 2
    • Day 3
    • Day 4
    IMG_4307.JPG
    IMG_4305.JPG
    IMG_4304.JPG
    IMG_4306.JPG

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Hey, I appreciate it brother.

I am currently looking at multiple seed strains trying to figure out what strain I'd like to tie into this one. Can't wait to see how this particular seedling turns out. So far it's been very healthy and vigorous. I'm hoping the smell is more pungent than its mothers but only time will tell lol.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Sounds like fun, what strains are on the menu?

-GM
    Mini Box SOG

• Like Like x 2
  14. I actually have no idea at the moment. Every time I think I have a handle on what strain I'd like to experiment with I stumble on another with equal or better credentials.

Cherry Pie is definitely on that list though I know for sure. Even if I just ran it on the side. I'd love a Landrace as well but I am still not quite sure as to which one and from where. Maybe a South African landrace or one from the Himalayan Mountains, if I can get my hands on them that is.

Got any recommendations? I could definitely use a spark in the cognition section haha.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Hey guys I'm back arms working okay the outside girls r just about finished and I tore apart the raised bed grow in my inside grow.

I'm ready to start getting it on breeding
    I still got one male Chem Berry diesel I have two female Chem berry diesels. Sage and sour female. Hawaii Maui Waui female red dragon female Early Skunk female chocolate mint OG female Bubba Kush female and a Afghan Kush female also a super Citrus Haze female. Plus I have a ton of of top shelf stains to play with also.
    I'm also learning about grafting where you graft a branch of a plant on to another plant and it may have several branches onto the same plant and they're supposed to retain their genetic quality very excited about this process by doing that and if I successfully do a couple of mothers with several different branches of several different strains on them I could go crazy with what I want to do with creating many different one off strains of very powerful stuff and maybe even come up with an ultimate strain.[​IMG]

sent sitting in my garden

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  16. Well landraces are cool, are you into indica or sativa for your cross?
    Durban poison is a sativa landrace from Durban Africa, that’s Southern Africa..
    Most landraces ARE sativa, but the middle eastern varieties are usually indica, like Hindu Kush and Afghani.. idk about Himalayan strains...Hindu Kush IS named after the Kush mountains..

-GM
    Mini Box SOG

17. Dude sweet! Man, you are going to have your hands full haha. You should just go ahead and breed that Sea of Strains plant and call it Fruit Pepples. Talking about a new meaning to the word Hybrid plant! Bet it'd be some killer smoke though and plenty of seeds to go around. :laughing:

I was conversing about that very same topic with a blade several months back. Grafting is certainly an interesting cultivation technique. I have only momentarily peeked through the depths of its entirety, stopping only to make a hopeful grasp at the understanding for it's foundational conception.

Good to hear that you've gained your long(shortly) lost appendage back. Did it take you a minute to remember how to use it? ;)

• Like Like x 2