Hybrid x Hybrid pollination

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by JohnnyEvergreen, Mar 19, 2018.

1. #1 JohnnyEvergreen, Mar 19, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    Hey guys, so I've recently studied a little in the field of cannabis breeding. As so far I've always had males and haven't quite had the resources to breed.(no female) Long story short I have two Blue Mystic plants going right now and am hoping one will be a pistallate plant. If both are then great, but if I get a staminate plant, I thought about practicing a controlled pollination. That is if I have the fortutiy to obtain a pair of opposite sex.

So my question will pertain to this, I recently ran by a paragraph in a section discussing cannabis seed selection. It said that a PURE STRAIN is created from 2 plants of the same origin being crossed. That also a HYBRID STRAIN is produced by 2 pure plants of different origin crossing. That's easily conceivable, and makes complete sense.

Now for the question, but the strain I am growing is a hybrid of 2 or more strains together probably landing somewhere on Grade 5. This would make it a hybrid vs hybrid pollination. If I've understood correctly, apparently that is taboo and may result in downgrading the genetics of the seeds conceived. So, should I go for it anyways and see what happens?

I have no prior experience so that's why I am asking. Of course I'll try to do it as carefully as possible even if it means cutting clones, destroying the staminate plant and then letting the clones veg, to the start a controlled pollination. That way I would have a mother plant in a different location that isn't affected by the experiment and keeps her viable gene pool. Without possible degradation of her phenotype as well.

J Evergreen

• Like Like x 1
  2. Okay, so no takers? Figured that would happen. I am more concerned with the fact that I don't know which strain was what in the fertilization process. As a matter of fact all I know is one has to be of Blueberry origin and even then theres no way to truly be certain. It's all guess work from the strain info, sadly couldn't acquire a breeder name.

My point being that if I don't know what strain came from what, I don't know how many were envolved in the breeding, and I don't even know where to find the information, then if I decided to do a controlled pollination, the results could be a multitude of different sorts. With many possibilitys in its F1 seeds. Considering the fact that if it's already a hybrid, the chances of it having both dominant and recessive traits is higher. Which even if not, the F2 breed could then give me a few answers on what all strains possibly could be into play? Or am I misunderstanding the genetic breakdown through the breeding process.

We'll also assume these are classified as either grade #5 or grade #6 as far as I'm concerned. The actual breeder may have had a better idea. Any thorough vetting of my post will be greatly appreciated and maybe if some clarification could be made, that would be helpful as well.

@Growtogrow I've seen your thread about Frankenstein Breeding, care to join in and spill some knowledge with me here? Thanks in advance.

J Evergreen

• Like Like x 1
  3. The farther I read, the more I dig up. Going down the worm hole can prove exhausting.

Alright so as I stated before hand, the F1 population will result in possible recombinations of the Parent plants. Giving me a chance to see a phenotype or two. I could then do a breed for an F2 population, which would cause an even more diverse populous right? Thus resulting in hopefully finding more recombinations that could possible breed true for different characteristics. Resulting in a new form of the strain. Mostly by either dominate traits not showing or the unmasking of recessive traits.

So this brings me to the assumption, the strain I am already growing would be considered the F1. My diversity pool is broken and scattered because the few I did grow before were males and I didn't document and save. Instead I destroyed. Fuck me. I am now one step forward and 2 steps back. My main question still remains, will it be worth the pollination and what can become of it? Only time will tell.

I'll keep you guys updated on the sex of my current set and if again I am lucky enough to get the opposing sex set, I will then put these theories to hands on use. Excitement is all I can say for my first breeding experiment.

Please bare with me on all of the correct and incorrect assertions of information in my previous and future posts. I am re-learning several bits I never quite attempted to understand in school. Not to mention digging deep and figuring them out as I go along. I should have held my tongue until my research was fully conducted but I was to antsy to hold back. I still have many a book to read.

As most of us know, when you get to hands on learning, you start to grasp a better idea of the knowledge you read. Perspective is a great equalizer. Maybe I'll soon get some.

J Evergreen

• Like Like x 2
  4. I see you got your hands full myself I started out with genetics I know what's going on far as they are concerned males and females that I'm figuring out right now I have made clones of everything that I have and I'm going to crossbreed those clones and keep my mother seed plant back I don't have time right now to discuss all this with you cuz I'm in the midst of doing things tonight but I'll get back with you in a day or two and try to discuss this more with you and maybe between the two of us we can pan something out.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  5. Much appreciated brother and I understand. Time is a very valuable concept and only so much of it can be used. Usually to the accord of the more important issues at hand. I'll be glad to hear back from you in the future. Until then, I'll be studying haha. Good luck with what ever it is you are doing. Peace be with you.

J Evergreen

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hey there... @JohnnyEvergreen
    Let you know up front I use voice text a lot so if something looks fucked-up it's not because I meant to I apologize in advance

All right I'm doing a little breeding myself I'm a newcomer to the situation as well I'm not exactly versed in it but I got a pretty good idea of what I want to do and maybe together we can figure out what you're trying to do I'll start first off start out by saying what I'm going to do and what I'm doing with my breeding I'm creating a hybrid I'm looking for a high THC value with hard nugs or dank and a decent smell with a fairly large yield at the end of it all. The yield doesn't matter but I expect to be able to grow it outside and get no less than two keys out of one plant of usable product That's what I want My outcome to be.
    I expect to find in this within the next 2 years that's my goal.
    I have several genetics that I'm working with the Chocolate mint OG from Humboldt Seeds.
    I'm also working with the Dark Horse genetics Chem Berry diesel seeds. I have 5 seeds that I popped 5 out of 10 regular seeds. I think I have one male so far I am not sure yet cuz.
    I am not trying to make the plants all bud.
    But I'm doing a process where I cut a stem off and put in a cup of water and put the cup and under a 12-12 light and it makes it go in to bloom.
    I think I have one male I will know when I get home cuz they should be showing me pretty good by now I was undecided the other day so I put them back under the light for a few more days just to make them go a little farther to make sure it looked like they were all females but I think possibly I got one male.
    I just want one male of these because all of my chocolate mint OG's are designated females.
    From there I have several other genetics of seeds that I've grown myself from other breeders and I've made produce S1 seeds through light deprivation and expanded light to make them produce seeds for me and I've grown some of these seeds out and it turned out to be very good genetics so now I'm looking for a female and male of these which I have a feminized seed of a couple of these genetics already. But long story short I will cross some of these seeds with some of the genetics that I get from the Chocolate mint OG and Chem Berry diesel and just work with it until I figure out what it'll be.
    I have several different ones it's a lot to do I have a large process I'm working with and I won't be able to grow some of these seeds all the way out to find out where I'm at so I have some friends are going to grow some of these out for me and then report back to me and tell me what they've discovered about some of these genetics that I'm going to be producing to see if I'm going in the right direction or not cuz again it's a lot to do when you're trying to come up with a genetic process that ends up with the goal being a reproducing product all the time.
    A lot of cross breeding a lot of back breeding or inbreeding in order to come up with a viable seed that produces all the time there's a lot to it I'm sure you know this know after you read quite a bit it's a lot of process you know it's going to be a hit and miss for you for real no doubt about it so my intention is to all your two smaller smaller plants for weeks in veg and then put them straight into bloom and do my pollination processes and try to come up with outcomes and keep notes keep notes on everything that I do and if you're going to do the same going to keep notes at everything you do cuz you don't want to go backwards tag and bag all your plants so you know what you working with make clones of the of the genetics you want to keep in your line that's a must I believe cuz if you don't can you take thing plants in the bloom and you could end up losing that genetics that you really wanted it's better to have clones work with the clones and savior your mother plant or father plant back so you know what you working with you can always just guarded if you don't like it and start with a new one but then again you start all over again right so bag and tag all your stuff so you know what you're working with take notes.
    I've said a lot for right now but get back to me let me know what you think and what you plan on doing. And maybe we can figure this out together

• Like Like x 2
  7. #7 JohnnyEvergreen, Mar 27, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    What's up there @Growtogrow.

Sorry I've been super busy today. Just got enough time to get on and see your post.

So I've read what you said and can gather some information to help me see what really goes on behind the scenes. Thank you for that and before I talk about my situation, I'd like to ask a question or two about yours
    • So you said you have one male hopefully? You don't plan on acquiring more than one for the first pollination process? I only ask because with several males you might be able to pass differing genetics on to your new strain. Which of course you'll probably see if you decide to make an F2 generation anyways. The difference being the health and vigor of the plant and certain genes passing from father to offspring.
    • Assuming the friends will keep you update and you guys might trade back and fourth if you see something you like?
    Trust me I have many more questions but I am trying to lay down a foundation of information before I ask them haha. Would hate to confuse us both. I may get back to you in a few days about the specific manner of your experiment and see if I can't scratch the surface a little to bring out different ideas for you to try.

Now regarding my situation... right now I have 2 Blue Mystic plants going in veg. Of which are part of my last imported stock. With the exception of a 2 OGK seeds if I'm not mistaken. What I first intend to do with theses Blue mystic plants if I get the right combination of sex(Male + Female) is to inbreed them, giving way to an F2 generation. One which should result in many offspring with different recombinations of genes across the board. Some dominant, some recessive, and some heterozygous(mixture).

This should give me an idea of what plants I have to work with and what favorable traits I can save. As well as what plants I can disregard. This will set up a Breeding stock of plants I can choose the best of like for example a fast growing, blueberry smelling plant with thick broad leaves. Or a vigorous skunk smelling plant which is tall and matures quickly. Or any recombination of several traits. From this I will keep several offspring and their seed stock to make a stable viable collection. As well as continue some expierments on the remaining to gain more knowledge and experience.

I then plan to do the same with the OGK seeds I have left. Finding superior traits in several plants and backcrossing them into each other if I get a breeding pair.(Male + Female)

If I do not, I will simply cross breed a few Blue Mystic plants with which ever sex of OGK plant I get. Thus Hybridizing two seperate strains into one. Making my first true cross. From there I plan on bringing about an F2 population and finding the best plants these strains have to offer. Resulting in a new line of seed and plant domination. One in which isn't just entirely one strain.

From what I've dealt with so far, these plants don't differ much in growth pattern. Stocky broad leaf indicas with short internode distances and radial leaf patterns. I've only went through a few though so by no means have I seen all variations. Some may have more experience and may be more familiar with different characteristics.

What do you think so far? Can you determine anything from the path I am planning to follow and does it seem suitable? Also do you have any recommendations on what I should and shouldnt do with. Espically if youve already done this and found something doesn't quiet work as well as it should.

I started this without much of a goal. Was just going to do a contolled pollination on a few branches and see what happened. Figured I'd read into what I was going to do though because that's just the type of person I am, and now I'm slowly gaining a working knowledge of certain things. This stuff would take years to learn and I'm just getting started. Excited but understandably patient. There's a long road ahead of me which has many twists and turns. Hoping I make the right move at each forking path. I appreciate your insight already and just know I thank you for all information I'll receive in the future.

Sincerely, J Evergreen

• Like Like x 1
  8. #8 Growtogrow, Mar 27, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    @JohnnyEvergreen

Hey Johnny how you doing?

I'll tell you the reason I only got one male it's cuz I got 2 .
    Very unfortunate that all of the regular seeds that grew out of 15 of them only two males appeared. Also they were both from the same breed so I wasn't able to get another genetic line of male's. So that's what I'm working with right now hopefully some of my cohorts will take some of these females off my hands so I can grow some more.
    But I can only work with 24 plant's total on my license so that gives me a limited space to work with plus I got to grow medicine so I don't have a lot of room to work with either.I try to stay with inside my guidelines so I don't get in trouble with the aficionados.

Pollen:
    According to what I read about storing pollen from a male plant they say you can store it for up to one month. A lot of the breeder's that I've read about don't like freezing it I am not sure why?
    I guess you can freeze it but I guess it's just not recommended again I don't know why? Maybe it's got something to do with ice crystals when it's frozen in a regular freezer I don't know? Maybe they're not thinking about using nitrogen to freeze it with I don't know?
    So I guess I'm trying to say is that I can only work with a couple of plants at a time that's why I use other people to grow them out for me so that they can grow them out report back to me the genetics they can report by using words and pictures and let me know the process along the way.
    If thier growing in soil or Hydro.
    If soil what's the content is and if Hydro what Hydro products they use to give me a better idea about the process they used to come to the outcome of the product.
    Then have them sample the product themselves and of course their patient clients or friends. Then I'll get a somewhat detailed idea of what their product came out like as far as effects.
    if they made oils or Vapes with it. If they use it as flower if they ate it. Just to get around about idea of how they used it and what they used it for.
    Reason this is is because I just don't have enough space to do all this myself and of course the time to do it all it would take a lot of time to grow a lot of different plants out to find out what the outcome is so in essence I guess I'm trying to say. Is I'am trying to speed this up somewhat and I'll still get mostly reliable information because the people I've chosen Are All Growers and their experienced and they'll give me good detailed information to the best of their abilities in which that I can trust.

Okay and your situation sounds like you got an ambitious plan very ambitious not unlike my own but it's going to take time the F2 strains that you'd like to make it sound great it's going to take time though to do that I don't know how much space you have or what you are allowed to grow or if you're going to be outside your rules but with that being said it's still going to take time no matter what growing out that many plants
    I can see you maybe being able to TimeWise growing them just big enough and tall enough if you are using photosynthesis plants? and you could flip them right away maybe 3 weeks in veg.
    if that's all you're going to do is grow for a strain you could do a lot of them isolate them pollinate them and then find the the outcome you're looking for and do it again and again.
    Again it's ambitious you got.
    it can be done it's just going to take awhile to get there. It's like breeding anything to come out with a breed your looking for dogs cats hamsters whatever LOL it's just going to take time got to be patient for sure sounds like you might a be patient if not you'll need to be but it sounds like you might be a patient person you might be able to pull it off.

I guess that's why I'm enlisting friends cuz I'm patient but yet impatient if that makes sense? But that'll help me speed up my process and find the hybrid I'm looking for.

Like you had said about the seeds from your F1 to F2 strains there's a lot of variations.
    It's finding the right ones again you'll have to grow small ones and see what they come out like and that's kind of where I'm stuck at is that growing them out if you grow it out and you don't take a clone then how can you save it? thats my question.

Controlled pollination

I too plan on doing controlled pollination. My plan is to take pollin from a male plant and put it in Sandwich baggies. So I can pollinate different branches of a different female plants With that male pollen.
    I'll first select a branch and Bud on the female plant that I want to pollinate and then I will bag that bud with a clear dry unpollinated sandwich bag. Wrapping it with a bread tie so no water can get into it. Then I'll lightly mist the entire rest of the plant down. After doing this then I shall bag the entire plant exposing the branch with the dry bagged Bud on it.
    This will ensure the rest of the plant will not be pollinated.
    After bagging the female plant. Then unwrapping the bud and branch that I want to pollinate. I'll then take the male pollin in the bag and put it over the bud and wrapping it around the branch of a tightly tagging that branch with what I've done from the male so this bud is noted. and then shake it and leave it on for a couple hours Shake It Again leave it on for a couple more hours.
    At this point it should be pretty well pollinated.
    Then in order not to pollinate the rest of the plant while the bag is still on the branch of the pollinated bud. I'll spray the entire bagged plant down with a mist of water to render any pollen inert. Also mist the bag on the outside and then pull the bag off the plant and mist it. Then pull the bag off branch and bud that has been pollinated hopefully only pollinating that bud and not pollinating the entire plant.
    If I succeed in this I hope to pollinate several buds on the same plant with different male pollinations.
    This may be something you might want to look into.
    As I believe this may be a time-saving measure.
    I don't know if this will work for sure or not but it sounds like it might.

Again I've said a lot so with that hopefully I've helped you a little bit cuz I think I helped myself LOL
    It's just a lot to think about when you're trying to come up with something Pacific and not just anything

Growtogrow

9. Yes very helpful, and you nailed it with the idea behind time. That is one of my biggest drawbacks. I have time but it's going to take quite some while. I'd say 3-4 years if even that soon. It all really just depends on the sex these plants and the space I can acquire to do so.

See my main problem is that I won't be able to grow out hundreds of offspring at once. Which is a major set back when it comes to finding and separating different varieties. I'll more or less end up with repetitive plants over and over for a duration of time before I get into the true keepers. Resulting in a length of stagnation, loss for effort, and consumption of resources(water,light,soil).

As far as your idea on the controlled pollination, here's an excerpt from a recent book I read. It may provide helpful,

• START

"
    Now a pistillate plant is chosen as the seed parent. A pistillate flower cluster is ripe for fertilization so long as pale, slender pistils emerge from the calyxes. Withered, dark pistils protruding from swollen, resin encrusted calyxes are a sign that the reproductive peak has long passed. Cannabis plants can be successfully pollinated as soon as the first primordia show pistils and until just before harvest, but the largest yield of uniform, healthy seeds is achieved by pollinating in the peak floral stage. At this time, the seed plant is covered with thick clusters of white pistils. Few pistils are brown and withered, and resin production has just begun. This is the most receptive time for fertilization, still early in the seed plant’s life, with plenty of time remaining for the seeds to mature. Healthy, well flowered lower limbs on the shaded side of the plant are selected. Shaded buds will not heat up in the bags as much as buds in the hot sun, and this will help
    protect the sensitive pistils. When possible, two terminal clusters of pistillate flowers are chosen for each pollen bag. In this way, with two pollen bags for each seed parent and two clusters of pistillate flowers for each bag, there are four opportunities to perform the cross successfully. Remember that production of viable seed requires successful pollination, fertilization and embryo development. Since interfering with any part of this cycle precludes seed development, fertilization failure is guarded against by duplicating all steps.

Before the pollen bags are used, the seed parent information is added to the pollen parent data. Included is the number of the seed parent, the date of pollination, and any comments about the phenotypes of both parents. Also, for each of the selected pistillate clusters, a tag containing the same information is made and secured to the limb below the closure of the bag. A warm, windless evening is chosen for pollination so the pollen tube has time to grow before sunrise. After removing most of the shade leaves from the tips of the limbs to be pollinated, the pollen is tapped away from the mouth of the bag. The bag is then carefully opened and slipped over two inverted limb tips, taking care not to release any pollen, and tied securely with an expandable band. The bag is shaken vigorously, so the pollen will be evenly dispersed throughout the bag, facilitating complete pollination. Fresh bags are sometimes used, either charged with pollen prior to being placed over the limb tip, or injected with pollen, using a large syringe or atomizer, after the bag is placed. However, the risk of accidental pollination with injection is higher.

If only a small quantity of pollen is available it may be used more sparingly by diluting with a neutral powder such as flour before it is used. When pure pollen is used, many pollen grains may land on each pistil when only one is needed for fertilization. Diluted pollen will go further and still produce high fertilization rates. Diluting 1 part pollen with 10 to 100 parts flour is common. Powdered fungicides can also be used since this helps retard the growth of molds in the maturing, seeded, floral clusters.

The bags may remain on the seed parent for sometime; seeds usually begin to develop within a few days, buttheir development will be retarded by the bags. The propagator waits three full sunny days, then carefully removes and sterilizes or destroys the bags. This way there is little chance of stray pollination. Any viable pollen that failed to pollinate the seed parent will germinate in the warm moist bag and die within three days, along with many of the unpollinated pistils. In particularly cool or overcast conditions a week may be necessary, but the bag is removed at the earliest safe time to ensure proper seed development without stray pollinations. As soon as the bag is removed, the calyxes begin to swell with seed, indicating successful fertilization. Seed parents then need good irrigation or development will be retarded, resulting in small, immature, and nonviable seeds. Seeds develop fastest in
    warm weather and take usually from two to four weeks to mature completely. In cold weather seeds may take up to two months to mature. If seeds get wet in fall rains, they may sprout. Seeds are removed when the calyx begins to dry up and the dark shiny perianth (seed coat) can be seen protruding from the drying calyx. Seeds are labeled and stored in a cool, dark, dry place, This is the method employed by breeders to create seeds of known parentage used to study and improve Cannabis genetics. "

• STOP

Good luck with your contolled pollination process. I'll be joining you in a few weeks if all goes as planned. I'm going to sub to your thread and stay observant. I will have more questions when I actually get into the hands on work of breeding. Fingers crossed for a sex reveal in the next coming 2-3weeks. From there we shall return to cross examination of each other's knowledge and process.

If you would like. I may add pictures of the steps taking to this thread. You may do the same. I think if anything someone somewhere might can gain some insight from the examples. See you on the sunny side my friend. It's damn near spring weather here, things are about to get moving.

Peace!

J Evergreen

• Like Like x 2
  10. Tons of $5 words in here, be right back getting my dictionary and a chair, I'm interested in the knowledge.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Okay you too it's going to be fun I know LOL it'll take some time for sure but that's all we gots time right that's our greatest asset on a sunny side

• Like Like x 1
  12. Welcome, glad to see you here. Make sure your chair is comfy. This session is going to be a long one. Breeding is far beyond the simplistic imagination I attached to it. So many moving parts.

Man if only you had one male Lemon or Strawberry plant, could have possibly made some Starburst Kush. :ey:

J Evergreen

• Like Like x 1
  13. Maybe one day I'll go cheaper and get some unfemmed and we can talk lol

• Like Like x 2
  14. Right on ...
    yep pull a chair and a futon might need to sleep for a little while it's like Johnny said it's going to take awhile.
    Regular seeds I don't know if they're cheaper or not? I guess it depends on your genetics that you choose from.
    I found these regular seeds I got from Dark Horse genetics by the time I got them to the house 10 seeds was almost a 140.00 bucks they are just regular seeds
    Chem Berry Diesel.
    They have a very good genetic background so I can't wait to see what they're all about they are a high HTC value.
    I popped 5 seeds and they all popped I was very happy and pleased with that two of them are definitely male.
    I just went down and make sure that and so I took one of my females and put her in underneath the light's to see what she's all about. I have clones of all of them so that's not going to bother me to put her in there and run her out .
    I have several clones now they're 5 female and I have 3 male clones now that I know for sure two of the one plant and one of the other. I'am good on male for tje time being.
    All of the sage and sours that were S1 seeds from my very own plant all 5 female. I also took those girls and put one of them underneath the light and start finding down some of my veggie girls
    The Original sage and sour seeds came from th seeds.
    Thanks for stopping by your inputs definitely welcome

• Like Like x 1
  15. Haha yeah I wish I would have spent the money on Fem seeds but I've learned an okay but minuet amount through regular photos. Specifically sexing. I've had all males so far.:confused_2:

J Evergreen

• Like Like x 1
  16. Check with GYO.green
    Got 10 fem Dutch passions Strawberry cough for around $130 including shipping and came with four free seeds
    I believe they sell non fem for only around $70-80 for ten

• Like Like x 1
  17. And they were legit fem Dutch passions seeds came in the DP container too

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  18. I recant my cost. I looked at my bill it was 122.00 for 10 reg Chem berry diesel 32% thc Dark horse genetics and 35.00 for 3 fem form Humboldt seeds. Chocolate mint og 30% thc plus I got 1 free Blue dream seed and 5 other free seeds
    Through Seedsman.
    I've only used Seedsman seed bank for the last 5 years.
    I don't trust a lot of web sites with my cyber money.

19. I'm with you only started there cause friends order from them
    I wish they didn't get caught by their kids, I was really looking forward to some Durban poison!

• Like Like x 1
  20. @Growtogrow @Gruntgrower

Hey guys, long time no see. I come today baring exciting news. It appears I've been blessed with a 1:1 ration. I have my set of parents. :yay:

As for my pistillate plant, it smells of Blueberrys, grows well, and tends to stay healthy with the right soil ph.

My staminate plant is a bigger, skunk toned plant with a little more resistance to differing nuisances.

I plan on separating them, gathering pollen from the staminate plant when he is ripe, and then covering 2 limbes on the pistillate plant for 3 days. She should swell with seed and hopefully I can gather a few batches. I am super excited.

As far as I know, this will give rise to the F2 generation considering these two plants are from the same seed stock(F1's already). This should ensure a variety of phenotypes in the next offspring. Maybe even making it apparent on who it's real parents are. A little nervous but most definitely ready.

See you guys in a couple of weeks, I'll be staying posted. Next time with pictures of the process, and countiuneing until I've arrived to a seed bearing entity. Now is the time to get some propositions if you've got em.

J Evergreen

IMG_3456.JPG IMG_3457.JPG

• Like Like x 3