Hybrid Outdoor/Indoor Grow

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by alexinstereo, Jun 1, 2009.

1. I had a question that I've been mulling around in my head since I was told some information from my friendly neighborhood dispensary man. So here's the deal, I've got a closet grow going right now, a 4'x4' with a 400 W Metal Halide. The setup is still missing an exhaust fan, but has everything else and I've been able to keep the temperature cool despite the air circulation setback. Anyways, back to the point. I was up at the shop the other day talking to one of the employees and he was telling me about a grower that he knows that leaves his plants outside during the day and brings them inside at night to keep them on a sort of put together 24 hour light cycle. Without my exhaust fan the plants sure could use the better air circulation and I live in sunny Cali despite June Gloom going down right now so I'd love to get a little bit of outdoor light. Has anyone heard of this being done? I'm trying to decide if it's something I should try doing.

2. I have heard of this being done, but there are a few drawbacks to it. First of which to pop in my head is pests. One of the reasons some people grow indoors is to seal their plants off from the bugs outside that munch on their babies.( babies being plants, not small humans :) ) Taking your plant in and out would contaminate your indoor grow and introduce pests into an otherwise sterile enviroment.

However

The first benefit to this method i can think of if that you can turn your light off for more hours of the days and save on electricity, you would only have to run your light the extra few hours that it takes to give your plants an 18 hour day.

I Know i grower who does a hybrid grow, but what He does is starts his plants inside with CFL and once they are large enough and the hours of light outside are short enough, he transfers outside and lets them flower under the sun. There are all types of Indoor/Ourdoor hybrid methods you can use.

Them being outside would definately help with ventilation! So would an exaust fan :) I'd reccomend getting one even if you do plan on utilizing this hybrid method.

3. I realized the pest issue when I was looking at my plants inside today, as they've been outside the past couple days while I was setting up the new lighting, and I found one tiny little bug. No biggie, searched for hours and didn't find another one. I should be getting my exhaust fan pretty soon, just low on funds. I'll probably be utilizing this technique and crafting a grow journal as soon as I get everything set up the way I want it and find a way to keep the bugs off.