Hybrid backcross to Sativa lineage

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by Skunk_smell_isn't_me, Mar 9, 2020.

1. I want to backcross a hybrid i have from Sensi which has a strain from the south of india in it, that is apparently very psychedelic. is the best way to do that is create a few successive generations from the hybrid seed and keep selecting the longest flowering one? the South Indian strain is unknown but i have a feeling it is Kerala a strain from South India, Equatorial region Idukki, extremely long flowering times, finishing nearly mid November in United states, Mint, pepper, and mango-carrot aromas; bamboo-like leaflets; intense, energising high

2. Yes this is the Kerala pheno very popular in its day
    one of my favorites
    Sold in the west as Kerala Krush or Kerala Gold
    both dismal failures due to the haste of the breeders
    to reduce harvest time by mixing in a crappy Skunk#1

I'm in the same boat back crossing some Kerala's I did years ago
    looking for the thin leaves as an indication of the percentage of sativa in this mix

So far is looking great but for the fruit punch fruit salad is still missing
    I may throw it in and just buy in some seeds possible ebay or some such from the Kerala state?

indeed many of these old school landraces have been mixed into current strains but at a price

here: Southeast Asia Archives - The Real Seed Company - landrace strain seeds

let me know how you go

cheers/

ps once you become a landracer you never look back ...lololol

3. haha yeah I feel like landraces are addicting, I started a seedsman Afghani #1, and crossed it to Texada Timewarp (grows wild in BC, best pheno's selected for seed production) Timewarp is actually 50% Highland Thai genetics, crossed with a California Indica (old indica genetics has some orange in it)

I have already done one backcross of this Sensi strain, Guerrillas Gusto and found a few phenos that start out as a thick leafs, and then morph into thinner leaflet later on in Veg and towards flower. Another pheno was pure sativa leaflets from the first true leaf. (all phenos so far have a fruity smell to them, albeit faint some skunk, but the smell isnt over-powering on stem rubs even into flower.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yes that Afghani #1 is in many many strains over the last 20 years
    8 different strains with this name are running now ..lol

5. Dutch passions Night queen claims to be unbutchered afghan kush.
    Ive got no idea if it is or not but ive grown it and its definately in the top 5 strongest strains ive ever smoked.
    Half a spliff and your not doing anythin even remotely useful for at least 90 minutes. Full on skullfuck of a smoke.

6. Yes its great to see some oldies come back
    many new growers will claim they won't get a hit at 18% thc ..lol
    little do they know thc measuring tactics have changed very much ..lol

• Like Like x 1
  7. I dont get the whole x % thc thing tbh. More thc doesnt automatically make it stronger or better. I was given some bud bomb a while back. Meant to be 30+% and Without doubt it was indeed the highest thc count ive ever seen.
    The buds were like 80% crystal, 10% bud and 10% what the fuck how is that even possible?
    Definately not the strongest of gear though. It was good but ive had plenty harder stones.
    I dont really understand what levels of what it takes to make a great smoke but its more than just a high thc count.

• Like Like x 1
  8. thats alot to do with breeders selecting for trichome production and always in the last twenty years peoples goal when breeding is squat indica with amazing trichomes, and not much else, so the high lacks in alot of them cause they are too reliant on genetics that i think have some inbreeding depression. Most old strains pre 2005 were considered so potent cause of the entourage effect, of all the terps that the plant produced since it was always grown in the same region in some cases generations would keep pheno hunting a large population...this happens nowadays but most dispensary weed is the heavy trichome, lack of stamina in the high. older strains for example some African sativas(Congo, Swazi) have such unique terps that you are high for hours and it has no ceiling, complete opposite of what is bought today...its why i went with Afghani #1 to go back to the orginal genetics to try and get that old school terp profile and combine it with another old stable line like Timewarp will just add some nice lemon flavors to go along with hardiness. I am also working with Indian genetics in some european hybrids made back in the 90s, the Indian genetics really shine through, the flavor some consider disgusting, but its a sandalwood, and slight earthy taste to go with a fruity hit of mangos and melons. Most unique flavor of smoke i have tasted, definitely an acquired taste, due to the Himalayan genetics it has possible hash making properties since the kief does have a nice smooth smoke, and almost zero irritant to your lungs. Malana Cream, Manipuri Kerala(10%) are what i suspect Sensi got from a breeder who took those Indian genetics and went to Spain to design a fast flowering but loose bud structure plant for north europe. Sensi added Skunk #1, and Early Pearl(Pollyanna x [Afghan x Mex L'])

• Like Like x 1
  9. 99a.jpg
    Don't ask the price...lol a very good read for any LandRacer: For your Christmas List!
    Cannabis: Evolution and Ethnobotany is a comprehensive, interdisciplinary exploration of the natural origins and early evolution of this famous plant, highlighting its historic role in the development of human societies. Cannabis has long been prized for the strong and durable fiber in its stalks, its edible and oil-rich seeds, and the psychoactive and medicinal compounds produced by its female flowers. The culturally valuable and often irreplaceable goods derived from cannabis deeply influenced the commercial, medical, ritual, and religious practices of cultures throughout the ages, and human desire for these commodities directed the evolution of the plant toward its contemporary varieties. As interest in cannabis grows and public debate over its many uses rises, this book will help us understand why humanity continues to rely on this plant and adapts it to suit our needs.
    "The authors boldly demonstrate their capacity to survey both the biological evolution and widely varied human cultures' uses of cannabis. In doing so, they have produced a work that is thorough, globally ambitious, and carefully constructed. The extraordinary power and range of their cross-cultural perspectives are likely to elicit fresh consideration of familiar studies." —Richard Tucker, School of Natural Resources and Environment, University of Michigan

"Cannabis is one of the best, if not the best history of the extraordinary plant Cannabis sativa that I have read. It is encyclopedic in its scope, painstakingly documented, and well written. A must for libraries, cannabis scholars and the growing number of readers who are interested in this remarkable plant." —Lester Grinspoon, Emeritus Associate Professor of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School and author of Marihuana Reconsidered and Marihuana, the Forbidden Medicine

"This is a unique and valuable work. It aptly summarizes the voluminous literature on cannabis to bring the reader a better understanding of its origins and uses, as well as the relationship with man, its chief employer and manipulator. The authors' experience in the subject makes them uniquely qualified to synthesize and interpret the material in a coherent manner." —Ethan Russo, President of the International Cannabinoid Research Society

HERE:

• Like Like x 1