Hunting

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by theiceman447, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Hello all....my first post on here...how's everybody's hunting season going this year... Currently in a treestand burning a hooter in Indiana bowhunting whitetail deer ...curious if anyone is doing the same anx if anyone still uses this site .....I've shot two nice does so far this year and had a close encounter with huge ten point whovsnuck in behind me to about 5 yards while I was toking last weekend,.... I think he wanted a hit but got spooked when I coughed a little lol....

• Like Like x 3
  2. it is opening day of deer season today.I love being in the woods,high:icgreen:

3. IMG_20131.jpg
    I GOT THIS 9 POINT BUCK YESTERDAY. I'M JUST HAPPIER THAN A MONKEY SMOKING A FAT JOINT.:icgreen:

• Like Like x 2
  4. [​IMG]
    Dogs ran him out, couldn't handle the .300RUM

• Like Like x 2
  5. nice buck, good mass,KICK ASS

6. what area do you hunt? I got mine in the Mo. Ozarks.

7. East NC. I still hunt, but nothing gets my blood going like hearing a pack of walkers behind a deer. One of the most beautiful sounds in the world, imo. We bear/deer hunt with dogs.

8. Been hunting for the last 18 years. I harvested two good sized doe's last year. On my way out the door right now to go and try to bring home some pheasant this morning, I will be keeping an eye out for some bushytails too.

9. In Mo. we can't use dogs for deer, I chase everything else with my Plott Hounds.

10. Nice deer, blades :smoke:

I like hunting deer, turkey, duck, rabbit, squirrel, pretty much whatever can be legally killed and is good to eat. I've been hunting with long guns for about thirteen years, but I got a bow a couple years ago and I've really learned to love using it. Plus I can bag two more deer than with just a firearm. I've killed a doe and a turkey with it so far this year, also got a four point buck and another turkey with a .270 and a 20g. Back to the bow for deer, though I should have a chance for shooting another turkey. And knocked off some squirrels of course. It's rabbit season now, and duck as well!

Should be going duck hunting tomorrow, wish me luck.

11. Got 'em FB_IMG_1481076692943.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  12. nice wide 8pt! congrats! been hunting since i was 5. lost count of how many deer i got over the years. also harvested 2 moose by lottery. 1 in 05' was 53in. the one in '15 was 42in. both with my rem. 700 in 7 mm mag. the second one was a 352yrd shot across a clearcut. had to get a skidder to winch him out . 903lbs. dressed! my 1st. one was 890lbs. dropped near the dirt road. the family ate good for a few years! also hunt grouse and snowshoe hare. also got a 6pt. mulley when i was stationed in n.m.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hello, I'm an avid bow hunter.

14. you guys got a great deer population for bow hunting. good weather too. never got into it up here due to such a small population.

15. #235 OrangeDood, Dec 18, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    +bump

anyone here still around GC? I've been a longtime blade and now I am getting into hunting. I have a slight background in land management and have really come to love the idea of harvesting wild game.
    Today I romped around some spots in the Ocala National Forest. My goal was to get some ducks on a small lake and maybe opportunistically get a wild hog, but all I ended up really doing was spooking deer and struggling to navigate a swamp.

Honestly, I'm a beginner as fuck and I knew I wouldn't be easy to bag some ducks, but I all around feel like a dumbass. I cant find the quackers and when I do commit, its hard as shit to get to them bc I don't have a boat or waders. What I learned the hard way today was that waders are pretty much essential to duck hunting. Please correct me if I am wrong and tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.
    That being said, I feel like I stumbled across a good deer spot. I saw large numbers of large foot prints, enormous poops and several rubs(some of the first i've found which lead me to believe there are lots more). I think what I might do instead of buying a pair of waders is buy a tree stand and some slugs for my 12 gauge. I can get a lot more meat out of a buck than I can a duck, giving me more utility in the form of nutrition/not having to buy meat. Any thoughts?

Best of luck going out to you all while hunting! Peace out blades! -OD

TL;DR Lame beginner fails, almost gets lost in a swamp but then might have found a cool deer spot. Duck hunter turned deer opportunist. Any and all advise welcome.

16. #236 OrangeDood, Dec 19, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    Bagged my first wood duck this morning! What a feeling! Looking forward to finishing this season out with a bang! Mallards, here I come! IMG_20201219_065838.jpg IMG_20201219_065917.jpg

17. Update on the rest of my waterfowl season.

got a two man limit on Black Belly Whistlers, got me a drake Bufflehead, got a hen ring neck and got me a drake blue bill! Duck season 21/22 here I come!

I've got big plans for next season! I want to hopefully have a small boat and I want to drag my lil brother out as much as possible.

I'm stuck between buying another 12 gauge pump, a 12 gauge over under or a 20 gauge pump for him to use when he comes with me. I want it to be his gun, but I also want to be able to use it since I'll be storing it and I don't want to mess with having two different size shells. But might not be that big of a deal. I'd rather just throw a case in the car and not have to worry about shells for the season Screenshot_20210127-214438~2.jpg IMG_20210126_092157.jpg IMG_20210130_094959.jpg IMG_20210122_100048.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Grasscity Forum mobile app

18. Nice thread!
    Good looking whitetails boys. And great effort on the ducks. I hunt just about anything I can get close to, big game, upland birds, ducks , it’s all good. Archery preferably, but I enjoy rifle hunting as well.
    Our duck season was horrible this year ( MT) due to in seasonably warm weather, so none in the freezer this year.
    That a good haul of ducks! But do you eat those coot? :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  19. I've ate a few, but I mainly just feed em to my hogs

Sent from my Pixel using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  20. How did they taste? A bit “ muddy” perhaps?:wacko: we get a lot good old fashioned corn fed mallards here.
    And Geese.... waaaay to many geese!

• Like Like x 1