hunter s. thompson

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by afgan01, Feb 12, 2006.

1. i've recently ordered a few of HST's books from amazon. he was a great writer. laughed all the way thru fear & loathing in las vegas. makes me want to try smoking some weed.

2. hah then what the fuck you waitin for? go smoke

3. watch Where The Buffalo Roam, stars Bill Murray and it's about Hunter S. Thompson and that movie is fucking awesome.

4. hell yes!!

5. Hunter S. Thompson is the fucking man.

6. where buffalo roam was ok, but hunter didnt even really like it.

Fear and loathing with J. Depp is much more hunter, much more gonzo.

I'm a huge fan of his (look at my sig)

I'm glad others love this great author

he should be recognized for the literary genius he was. I miss hunter I really do

7. i liked depp's performance but i think he overdid it slightly..well..more than slightly...i think murray did a well rounded job.

the only thing i hate about HST is the fact that he committed suicide and now hes in hell...eh..his choice..still a literary genius though

8. Yeah, 'tis a shame that he went out like that. And be mindful of all the religious beliefs on here. Not everyone believes that suicide leads to hell.

I do, but we should try to avoid any religious statements in this section of the forum.

Not trying to tell you what to do. Just giving everyone a heads up. Ok, Im done being a little prick.

9. today is the 1 year anniversary of his death... R.I.P

so blaze one for this incredible author.

10. J depp was supposed to over the top, Thats the kind of story Fear and Loathing is. It wasnt so much emulating hunter in a real life sense (like in where the buffalo roam)
    but it the gonzo style it was written, crazy exagerrated and over the top

I didnt say I hated where to buffalo roam, I just dont think its the best representation of hunter out there. There are a number or historical inaccuracies.

any hunter fan should really see the "Breakfast with hunter" documentary I really liked it makes you miss him alot though

sometimes I wonder if he faked it all, there was no body only ashes shot out of a cannon, maybe to get the aspen police off his back among other things,what could be more gonzo than fooling the whole world, maybe hes still running around woody creek with a cocktail in one hand and blowing things up.

food for thought, I suppose

RIP HST
    "too weird to live, too rare to die"
    [​IMG]

11. read his rolling stone and espn articles too. and thw quote right beneath me

12. that quote was also printed on the where the buffalo roam dvd case

13. Ive noticed that its really hard to find someone with a negative opinion on hunter s thompson

Ive only read the rum diary, and saw fear and loathing, and they were both very good

14. The aspen police and richard nixon

but fuck those facist fucks.

15. In 1970, Thompson ran a bid to become sheriff of his county in Colorado on the "Freak Power" ticket. He ran on a platform of renaming Aspen "Fat City" and decriminilizing drugs. The incumbent republican sheriff to whom he narrowly lost had a crew cut, so Thompson shaved himself bald and started refering to his opposition as "my long-haired opponent".

Yeah that guy rocked.

16. LMAO that is great. Tis some funny shit:laughing:

17. In June he was award the of Maverik of the year by Rolling Stone magazine, for litrary prowess, as well as his rebelious attitude. Pretty cool if you ask me.

18. HST never seizes to amaze the public even after death, the fireworks red white and blue, brilliant, sure i think suicide is kind of gay, i don't believe in hell, but i've read fear and loathing in las vegas the campaign trail and better than sex, only like las vegas, not really into politics haha, but going to pick up Blow and The Rum Diary tommorrow

19. i read the rum diary 2 nights ago. i couldnt put it down. i loved it.

the library here has every copy of fear and loathing missing or loaned out so im on a waiting list.

whats his best work, or something i should really read besides fear and loathing?

20. Hunter S. Thompson is my insperation, favorite author, My GOD. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is like my bible. LoL. The man is a genius, and amazing at what he does.