Hungry? Why Wait?

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by p_snickers, Dec 4, 2010.

1. #1 p_snickers, Dec 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2010
    This is my second journal documenting my fourth grow/harvest. my old journal can be found Here, harvested around post 130. you can also find the links in my sig.

Day 1 12/12
    [​IMG]

These are the plants I'm working with this time around, clone from the original two in the first journal. I'll be honest right now and say that I don't remember which plant is which but one should be Mona, a skinny little lady that likes to wear glitter and the other is Lisa...Fatty fat and I'm okay with that ;)

The clones are simply amazing, they showed pistils at day 6 12/12 and now they are looking great at day 18
    Day 18 12/12
    [​IMG]

A quick note, they've had the LED over them the whole time they were 12/12, the first pic is white balanced and the latter pics are less balanced...which do you guys like better?

My LED unit is a 126W from GrowledHydro dot com and boasts 11 different wavelengths of light to provide as complete a spectrum as possible.

The LED is hanging about 12-13" above the screen, will probably raise it another Inch (but that's actually the highest I can go

My soil mix is posted HERE copied:
    I also included an additional 1/4 cup bone meal into the containers themselves when i transplanted from the 1/2 gallon to the 4 gallons. last time around I ran into cal and phosphorus problems so this is a little something to help prevent that. I also plan to use an AACT around week 4 or 5 12/12 to keep the microbial counts high throughout the entirety of the plant's life cycle. other than that it's just water, liquid seaweed and Dyna-gro p.silicate

for those that tagged along on my last grow know that i had a little problem with black gnats. I covered my soil with an inch of vermiculite and sprinkled DE a couple of times but they would keep coming back. I think that they were actually living in the large drainage holes on the side of my containers. I prevented that this time around by putting newspaper in the bottom of my containers before filling with soil. I'm going to grab some play sand today or tomorrow and put a nice thick layer on top of my soil.

My temps stay in a range of 63-68 at night and 75-78 lights on which I have to control completely with the house's central heating...if I didn't do that, they'd stay in 65 degrees all the time.

My expected harvest date is at the beginning of February. I'm allotting a full 75 days 12/12 for these girls to give me all that they've got. I'm looking to snag 2oz dry but I don't think that 3 is out of the question, even without the additional 150 HPS. My screen is already looking much fuller than my last run and the plants look healthy as can be.

and now, Despite the title, we wait.

Attached Files:

2. #2 p_snickers, Dec 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2010
    This news just in! LED is rocking it!

Day 26 12/12
    [​IMG]

Attached pics:
    2: dual 'colas' on the left plant, I'm guessing that this is Lisa.
    3: Dual colas on the right plant I'm guessing it is, of course, Mona
    4: A shot of underneath the screeen. I'm trying trimming *almost completely on the right plant, De-branching on the left (leaving the fan leaves, just taking the budsites that aren't getting light
    The rest are shots from around the canopy. frost is setting in already, i'm excited!

Attached Files:

3. i must agree P....it looks a lot fuller than last round...so let me make sure i got this right...2 LEDs and the hps?

4. 1 126W LED unit, 11 wavelengths including red, blue, green, UV, IR and full-spectrum white LEDs (among others)

so far, I've been watering about once every 4 or 5 days ( at least!) the soil retains moisture really well and I've still seen some crazy growth during the stretch despite that fact. I'm going to water them later today with a little dyna-gro and seaweed extract

Right around new years I plan to give them an AACT to keep them up through the last month of their lives

5. #5 p_snickers, Dec 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2010
    Put together a new vegging area the other day, I'm working on making my operation more stealthy during the holidays, Family is gonna be around.

The veg area is 15" x 30" x 45" height. It is made out of these cage things I've had since I was a kid. they've alway been useful for makeshift shelving, why not makeshift growing?

Pics:
    1) the ladies, Lisa then Mona. I'm gonna keep them root-bound for a long time. I'm considering throwing my 150W HPS in there and flowering these girls as well, alongside the already flowering girls, instead of keeping them as mothers. I can take a few cuttings before switching them to keep my op going.

maybe i'm just getting a little greedy? I don't have another veg. space at the moment for other clones...i dunno yet, we'll see after new years

You can see that some of the leaf tips are curling down and turning yellow, brown, and crumbly. I think my soil mix (Same one as posted previously) had too much Soft Rock Phosphate and Espoma Garden-tone. Even the flowering ladies are showing some signs of 'burn' in the pistils
    2) Intake. Also allows for light and fan wires to run out to the extension cord

3) Exhaust. Computer fan (running ~10-15 CFM, less than half of its capacity) with a little bit of cardboard ducting allowing the fan to blow out of my storage closet instead of upward into the ceiling.

4) Fan blowing on the plants. It's hanging about 3" underneath the lights and slightly angled downward. The fan is out of a broken laptop, hence the cell phone box it is mounted in allowing me to hang/aim it how I please.

5) my lights. CFLs zip-tied to a normal 2 ft tube fluorescent reflector which I gutted of bulb, sockets and ballast a long time ago. Works well. I used some sockets from HD which have a screw on back and piercing connections like this And I cannibalized the cord that went to the ballast to give my sockets a positive and negative wire.

the bulbs in there, from left to right, are a Daylight 6500k, SW 2700k, Full spectrum 5500k, SW 2700k, Daylight 6500k

6) I drilled small holes in the reflector where i wanted each socket and ziptied the sockets into place. It's not perfect but it works. my plan is to, eventually, stuff 2 or 3 40-55W PL-L type fluorescent tubes into that reflector and make an ultimate small light that could be used for flowering or veg.

Attached Files:

6. hey snickers, plants look great!:hello: those LED's sure do make for some cool pictures:smoke:

7. #7 p_snickers, Dec 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2010
    I had to move my tent into a cubby hole in my room. Unfortunately, I couldn't move both plants + screen as a unit so I decided to free the plants of their bondage. took a few pics while they were out in the wild and before i actually removed the screen. I may try to put the plants back under the screen at some point but, for right now, they are free. I think some of the branches are going to have a tough time holding themselves up, but we shall see tomorrow

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. dude that looks bad ass. way to rock it out bro

9. #9 p_snickers, Dec 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2010
    it's like a friday night, The girls are letting loose. Here are some pics of the girls w/o the screen.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to put them back under it...not without 3 hands helping, i'm sure. In any case, I'm going to have to move the tent back to its original position in my bedroom after the holidays are over and all threat of parents/relatives seeing the op is gone.

I'm gonna do my best during these next few weeks to keep all of my tops in the light but it is kid of difficult...a lot of inter-weaving fanleaves of weaker branches with stronger branches to help keep everything in an optimal spot and then praying for it all to stay like that. Like I said earlier, the screen is not going back in there...at least not at the moment. Seeing as I will have to move them again soonish, I need the plants to be accessible and easily portable. I had also been getting annoyed at my inability to get all around the plants, turn them, or water them easily/evenly with my cramped conditions...Lesson learned, If you're going to SCROG, it is imperative that you build it in a way as to allow complete access all around the plants. My idea now is to, in the future, build a sliding tray for the plants/screen as a whole.

I miss my screen :( the branches hardly look like they'l be able to carry the chub that will start packing on in a few days

Attached Files:

10. Looking good in there man!

Will follow this one closely since were sort of playin the same division... Nice to catch up when ure a bit into flowwering aswell, LED-bud rocks!

:smoke:

11. #11 p_snickers, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2010
    Thanks! i think i have gotten just the right amount of white balancing in post #2. You might not be able to tell, But i can definitely tell that my pics have gotten less purple But still not totally white balanced. i'm having fun with it! I just wish i had a good camera that I can manually focus, though...so damned annoying trying to get up close awesome budshots when the camera focuses to whatever the hell it wants.

thanks, Irish. again, It is because of your journals that i even considered LEDs in the first place. I'm having a ton of fun and getting really confident in my light. slowly learning that you can treat the unit like HID when hanging it, not like CFLs getting as close as possible

Thanks for checking out my journal

Hell yeah, man! I remember seeing your journal a couple of months ago and then I lost it...you know how that goes:smoke: It was awesome to see your harvest with the 50w ufo + 120w panel. Thanks for dropping by!

Well, because I don't have a screen anymore. I've had to start LSTing some and Tying branches up to hold them. My training wasn't so low stress As i managed to actually kill a branch....'twas going to be a big one too!

bummer...it's hanging right now

Attached Files:

12. a few more pictures. the green lines are wire-ties that I'm using to LST and string up different branches. It really sucks goeing from Scrogging to no scrog

Day 31 12/12
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. Those are looking nice P! I just had some family come into town, but I'm not into flowering yet, so a little easier to hide. They are driving across the country for the holidays and will be coming back around in a few weeks. I'll be about a month into 12/12 then also. Might just buy a few air-fresheners and lock up my closet!

Sucks you had to de-screen!!

14. #14 p_snickers, Dec 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2010
    it really does. Those branches all DEPENDED on that screen, not only to control vertical growth, but also to support the branches.

right now i have branches strewn about everywhere, on their sides, falling over completely, or blocking other branches from good light. It feels so...disorganized

Pics: I dried and ground up the branch that I broke off to roll a tight lil joint. I put a little of Lisa (last grow) into the tip to get everything started

[​IMG]

the joint didn't burn so well...Bud was still a little wet and I rolled it too tight :D so i cut that sucker open and roasted the shit in my bubbler

Attached Files:

15. Jupp, that last training got to go in the HST-box...:)

Nice pictures man and your ladies are looking fine fine fine... and so does that wet joint. :D

Keep it coming man!

:smoke:

16. last night was my girlfriend's last night in the area. Had a party for her goodbye and I rolled a fatso blunt later on in the night for just us. damn it was tasty...a gram and a half of Mona's cola from my last harvest (last bit of weed i have left :eek:) despite how drunk I was at the time, I managed to roll it up nice n tight and even remembered to snag a picture before we consumed it.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. that looks tastey. what did you use for the wrap?

18. green game

19. #19 p_snickers, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2010
    Day 34 12/12
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

chillin on it

Attached Files:

20. #20 p_snickers, Dec 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2010
    It's Christmas Eve! I was planning on having an actual update but I've run out of time in the day (somehow :bongin:) and I have to get ready for family time. I watered my plants last night, just H2O. they are looking so good and getting a little heavy so I've tied more tops up.

As for my vegging plants...
    unfortunately, I cannot even get them out of their box because my quarters have become so tight from being in holiday mode...I can still reach in, grab them and move them, water, bend, etc. BUT i cannot raise the light in there at the moment or, again, remove them for inspection....BUH. I think I'm gonna mkae a flap in one side of the flower tent so that i can at least grab them. I'm going to have to replace some of their soil soon.

After I harvest these plants I'm going to modify my tent a little to make it skinnier...from 3" x 3" to 2" x 3". I plan to runn 2 plants again the next time but front and back not left and right. this will allow me to keep my tent where it is (i like the stealthiness of it) and still have the veg tent there as well and accessible!

work to do, work to do...another time, however.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all the blades out there!

Christmas blunt, here I come :smoke::smoke::smoke: