Hunger Games? The fuck?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Mogwai, Mar 23, 2012.

1. So I hear this movie is coming out and it's based on a book series that a lot of people like. Apparently it's big with highschoolers so I am guessing some blades are into it.

I read up on what it's about.. Dystopia future where government takes kids, puts them in a plot of land, and makes them kill eachother. The author says she got the idea from some segments on the news about the war in Iraq.

Yeah, that's bullshit. What she did was get the idea from Battle Royale. It's an amazing book/movie where the Japanese government in the future fears public revolt, so they take a class of students and put em on an island and says that at the end of 3 days only one kid can be alive or they all get killed. It's their way of saying "fuck you, we're in charge". It's a pretty violent and psychological book...

THG seems like a super watered down version. I mean.. it's rated PG13. If the plot is teenagers killing eachother and it has that rating, the makers obviously fucked something up.

Thoughts on this THG series? Is it actually good? Does it at all compare to the greatness of Battle Royale? Oh and if you've never read BR, do it. It's my all time favorite book, and the movie is good too.

2. #2 REVELATlONS, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2012
    Hey man, I've read both battle royale and hunger games the novel. You are right, there are a lot of similarities, but if you liked battle royale, you will like hunger games. The book is actually quite brutal describing some of the deaths. I liked both, even though I liked battle royale more.

The battle royal movie is dope too, which is why I have high hopes for hunger games, especially since the reviews are coming back positive. Even if it has a pg 13 rating.

You should check this out. Its a good story. And no, not a teenager. 22 year old here.

3. Its pretty stupid, just a love story overall.

4. I'm sitting in the theatre waiting to watch a midnight showing of THG and I had never heard of it before.... I get here and it its nothing but 14 year old girls.....

Gf wanted to go see it, had like 4 liqour drinks might have needed more...lol ....

Is this a chick flick or some shit wtf if is going on?? Help me!!!!

5. [quote name='"REVELATlONS"']Hey man, I've read both battle royale and hunger games the novel. You are right, there are a lot of similarities, but if you liked battle royale, you will like hunger games. The book is actually quite brutal describing some of the deaths. I liked both, even though I liked battle royale more.

The battle royal movie is dope too, which is why I have high hopes for hunger games, especially since the reviews are coming back positive. Even if it has a pg 13 rating.

You should check this out. Its a good story. And no, not a teenager. 22 year old here.[/quote]

Cool cool. I'm 22 also. I'll probably give the movie a go when it hits DVD.. maybe I'll dl the book.

I had a friend say pretty much the same stuff you did, so hearing it again makes me more interested. I just can't help but to go in expecting another Battle Royale because of the similarities... which will probably have me somewhat let down =/.

What made the BR book so epic was the psychological side of things. I wonder if THG could match that. I kind of doubt it.. but maybe I'll see

6. #6 Mogwai, Mar 23, 2012
    [quote name='"makinthelul420"']I'm sitting in the theatre waiting to watch a midnight showing of THG and I had never heard of it before.... I get here and it its nothing but 14 year old girls.....

Gf wanted to go see it, had like 4 liqour drinks might have needed more...lol ....

Is this a chick flick or some shit wtf if is going on?? Help me!!!![/quote]

Its a future government forcing kids to kill other kids to save themselves. I hear it has some love side to it though, but I don't really know how big of a deal it is to the story

I'm sure more alcohol would help haha. I'm not saying that cause it will suck since I don't know. I just mean getting drunk at the movies never hurts.

Edit
    And wasn't there an American Battle Royale movie in the works? That's what people need, I tell you what

7. sucks when your ex gf tells you to read a book and you start looking at posts about it on grasscity

8. Yes, there is a love side to the story. She is in love with one of the contestants in the game.

Not a huge part to the overall story but it is a subplot.

The main character is an archer. Everyone in the contest has been training their lives for this moment, skilled in different areas of combat. The main protagonist has no previous training or skills, but she soon finds out that she is incredibly skilled with a bow and arrow.

Thats pretty much a breakdown of the novel without giving away spoilers.

9. Ah. Battle Royal kinda had a small love subplot (well technically it had quite a few) and it didn't really get in the way.. so maybe it wont with this flick?

And it's odd they've all trained for it. I thought they were selected at random and just plucked out of society.

10. My girl wants to get the books and then go see the movies. Hope this is worth getting into!

11. It's probably going to end up like the Twilight series...

Totally awesome! GO TEAM JACOB!

[​IMG]

12. They were. There are the rich people who take it as an honor to be picked, then the poor people who only try to survive day by day. Rich people have to opportunity to train, while the poor don't have access to train.

Oh yeah, spoiler alert.

13. regardless of rip-off it looks awesome.

14. #14 gloppypop, Mar 23, 2012
    I read the Wikipedia article.

And from that it looks stupid as fuck.

seriously, read that shit.

15. I look up BR to THG comparisons on the net... found a lot of forums about people bitching that the THG is so much better and that BR has no story to it or character development.

What the fuck?

If the main audience of THG really believes those things they either haven't read BR and are blindly supporting the only side they know or they're just stupid as fuck.

Haha I'd defend BR to the grave though. I've never been pulled in to any story like I was when I read that book.

I hiiighly recommend it to eberybody here

16. #16 xpixiex, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2012
    [​IMG]

17. I saw it it was ok but the camera work just sucked so shaky

18. Everyone that knows Battle Royale exists knows that she stole the shit out of it.

Meh. Shit gets jacked and repackaged every day I dont care too much.

I heard they take shaky cam to a whole new level in this movie so I have less than zero interest to see it.

19. I saw it, my girl wanted to see the midnight premier.

It was not worth getting 3 hours of sleep before my finals, and it makes me never want to see another THG movie again. Also, it was full of teenagers. Maybe if I was high it would have been better? But I kind of doubt it.

Supposedly the book is a lot better, but I have absolutely no interest in it.

20. Haven't read HG. For some reason I always thought it was about the holocaust.....