Humidity problems and undergrowth =/

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by geopharms, Oct 25, 2021.

1. My last grow I used CFL's, then MH/HPS bulbs for late veg, then flower. I wanted to use these LED's for flower on my last grow, but they came too late.

Problems concurrently regardless of LED or MH/HPS I keep having trouble with is mainly humidity. It gets about 80-90 in the tent currently with the LED dimmer on 50%.

I started germination with the ziplock bag method, regulated heating pad @ 84.0F, with two 23w CFL's. The oldest one is 5 days post germination. The yougest are on day 2 of me pulling them from the bag and placing them in soil. I just pulled them from my CFL grow box and placed them in the tent this morning. I do have an exhaust fan, but darned if I do, darned if I don't, I can't keep the humidity up! :,( I even added a damp cloth (with rain water, all rain water ^^). I'm not using the dome because it's really hot. My concern is when I need to remove the dome, how in the world do I keep a constant huimidity in my tent? I do have a humidifier, but do I have to use it? I'm not sure about using that inside a grow tent(?) and with rain water instead of distilled water?

Due to the constant Temp/Humidity issues, my plants keep showing undergrowth. They should be more fluffy imho. Any suggestions would be appreciated <3 Thanks in advance.

I can't seem to get the right flow going and these lil ones keep lookin like preemies almost a week after germination.

This is my first grow (different environment completely, using only CFL's for Veg, no exhaust. See the difference between those on Day 5 and my new ones on Day 5? Huge difference in growth. I am trying to mimick everything from my first grow but to give a clue, the first grow was in the desert, in the summer, with AC on full blast lol ^^ This grow, in the mountains where it's going to snow soon.

2. to get humidity up you use a humidifier to get humidity down you use a dehumidifier tap water will work if it's not hard water. Hard water will harden salt around components. Tap water works fine for everything else. Not that anything's wrong with rain water just has to be more work than running a hose.

A ink bird plugged up to humidifier and dehumidifier will keep everything in check. Doesn't matter if you run them in or outside the tent. Depends on room size, if grow room is big and you have a small humidifier. The humidifier will have a hard time keeping humidity up in a large room, so the humidifier would be better ran inside the tent. If your grow room is a smaller spare room you may can run it outside of the tent.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks, seems I need to hook up the exhause again lol

I'll use the humidifier too and see if I can get things stable. I prefer rain water as long as the plants are small lol ^^

4. You start germination in a ziplock with a light already on them?

If your tent humidity is 80 to 90% you don't need a dome. A dome is used to keep humidity up. Seedlings and young plants like hot and humid conditions. I'll remove the dome once they sprout and show their first leaves. I've grown with no humidity and perfect humidity it's not that much of a difference in growth. With low humidity it's easier to run into other issues with plants not being able to transpire properly, which is why I run with 50% for the whole grow

5. using a dehumidifier results in a byproduct which is heat that is generated during the dehumidification process.

i actually right now use a dehum for the sole purpose of heating up the room.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. #6 geopharms, Oct 26, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    IMG_6462.jpeg
    The temp is 80-90F lol :(

I used a grow box from germination to when the leaves sprout. This time, I waited until day 3-5 (different germ. rates). Seems I can't post .heic files here (mac) =/ or I'd show pics. They've been on 24/0 light (2 CFL's) since i put them in the bag (total of about 7 days or so) ^^ worked perfect my first grow like this. However, I'm starting 18/6 tonight because the light Manufacturer recommmends it.

I added the exhaust fan and a humidifier. I hope this helps with temps and I hope the humidity doesn't end up just outside the tent lol

I have a dehumidifier as well, but my problem is too much heat and not enough humidity ^^

Thanks for the replies ppl <3

7. I move a ton of air, remove all the little sucker limbs etc... To allow good air flow.
    Moving in fresh air does wonders for ur girls.

8. Might get something along these lines to control heat and humidity.
    The humidifier will add a little heat to the tent, good for the winter.
    I pump in outside air all year around and then control the temps of my tents and water.
    Good luck.

20181027_115619.jpg

9. I had a humidifier in the tent for 24 hours. With the exhaust fan on low and medium, I still end up with mid 30%. It ends up going right out the tent. I put some damp cloth’s on both side of the tray and removed the humidifier. I have to fill the stupid thing up anyway every day and carry it upstairs lol I think I would rather pour water on rags then do that haha

Another problem I just realized is that I had to remove the seed caps off of four of the seedlings. Because they got stuck and the leaves couldn’t grow. Has me concerned because now I’m thinking they are damaged. I’m thinking maybe I should just germinate five more. I’m going for a total of six, but I want to get rid of errors and problems before hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

10. Run it outside of your tent. It's easier to make the room humid then that humidity gets sucked into your tent rather humidity being sucked straight up and out. In southern nm rh is usually 15% or lower. Mine stays at 55% to 60% running one small humidifier on a desk outside my tent.

11. I did that before with the previous grow. Same thing, it went right outside the tent. I can’t get it to stay in the tent, or at an even and constant level. Also, I don’t want my wife complaining about our heat going out through the exhaust. I told her it doesn’t work like that that it’s pulling from the outside and going to the outside, but she still gets on my case about it.

Rock and a hard place friend lol

I’m trying to post pics on here, but I’m having an issue with that as well. I’ll figure it out and post pics when I can. I do appreciate the feedback <3

12. If the whole room is 55% then the tent will be 55% that's the environment 55% your grow room has to be open not a closed room and humidity escapes that way. I live in a desert climate and it works so if I can run it like that you shouldnt have an issue. Something else is going on

• Like Like x 1
  13. The very weird thing is, my first grow I used to live in the desert. I was only using CFL’s and I didn’t have an exhaust fan at all. I was just running it in my bedroom the whole time. It was a darn near perfect grow if I didn’t have three out of four males lol :,(

• Like Like x 1
  14. Okie dokie, I'll put the humidifier outside the tent. Sorry for making things more complicated than they probably have to be lol

Thank you Sir!

Attached Files:

15. I have heard that using a humidifier filled with ice and water does tend to cool while also humidifying. If you put this in the grow tent you might see a slight decrease in temperature.
    anyways, just to give you an idea.

16. Ahhh great idea! I am leaving the humidifier in the tent now and it seems to be doing OK. I had it outside of the tent and it didn’t do anything. Just trying some things. Because it’s the winter time and we keep it about 65 or so in the house I might not need to do the ice trick. I’ll definitely try it in the summertime though! Thanks =]