Humidity and temp issues

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Newhydrogrower, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Sup every one. I just got a tent it's 39*39*79 in.

I have it in a basement right now the temp is 65 and rh is 35. Lights out. What should these numbers be? I know that temp is way to low right? I have to throw a little heater in there ya think? And is this dry air a bad thing? I know it will prevent mold but are there any side effects to goin a complete cycle with dry air?

2. #2 chiefton8, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2013
    The humidity will be ok. I just did a run where the rh never got above 35 and all worked out well. You can see the results in my black widow grow in my sig to convince yourself. :)

As for the temps, 65 is low. Shoot for 75-80. If you're running a cool tube then the tent will not warm up enough. I would suggest getting a small space heater and placing it in front of your intake fan. This is what I had to do and it worked great for me growing in my basement. I used a 750w space heater and that was more than enough.

3. Ok so all that hype about high rh for veg low rh for flower is fluff? I know you want it low in flower as to prevent mold but running low rh in veg, does it have any negative side effects? In regards to growth and such. I don't know if it matters but running dwc 400w set up. Is there a timer I can buy that would shut off the space heater once the tent hits a certain temp.

4. No I would not say that the recommended rh levels are fluff. They are just that, recommendations. If everything else in your grow is sufficient (temps, good amount of light, good nutrients, good soil, proper watering, proper pH, etc) then rh being a little low will not significantly hamper your grow. In my last grow the rh never broke 40% and commonly was in the 20's and the plants seemed plenty healthy and yielded nicely.

As for the heating, there probably are timers and thermometers you can hook up to have the heater turn off when the temp gets hot enough, but I don't know much about them. I just put a small space heater in front of the intake fan. The closer the heater, the hotter it got in the tent. The further away, the cooler. So I just found a nice medium distance where the temp stayed steady 75-80 during the day and 65-70 at night, and stuck with that.

5. Thanks man. I'll try that.

6. glad I came across your post, Issues myself. Ended up removing my intake fan and placing rocks with water in my trays that the pots sit on. Also have a heater blowing air into the room and I'm still sitting with temps between 61 and 68. My rh is fluctuating around 30%-40% . Grow room is in a back room in basement but it's hard to keep the temps up. So you think that rh is alright then ? I had one seedlings shrivel up to nothing and the other survived and is doing better now.