Humidity always too low OR temps too high Plants stressing, Please help

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by malufizzgig, Jan 23, 2014.

1. #1 malufizzgig, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2014
    This is my first grow. I have a 4x4 grow tent with a large carbon scrubber hung inside with an inline fan pulling air through the filter and out through a light hood, and out of the tent through a baffle that exhausts to the attic. Fresh air is pulled through a mesh screen on the side of the grow tent, into the tent, where it is sucked into the filter. Currently, I have a 1000w MH at 50% on a dimmable ballast running 24 hours a day for veg. The ballast is outside the grow tent. 
    My temps are about 73-75 at night and 79-83 during the day, but with this setup always pulling air through the grow tent, it's hard to raise relative humidity higher than 31% when it gets hot even with a humidifier in the grow room. 

I'm looking for ideas. I thought of using a humidifier constantly, putting one fan on a thermostat that will vent the air in the grow room above 85 degrees, and the other inline fan cooling the light constantly. 

Can anyone help? My little plants are starting to show signs of stress. It's really dry in LA. Could I mist the plants with water? If it continues to remain arid, should I water every day instead of every other day? 

2. I have used huge pots of water to raise RH. with a fan blowing gently across the topSent from my HTCEVOV4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. [quote name="malufizzgig" post="19389387" timestamp="1390446424"]This is my first grow. I have a 4x4 grow tent with a large carbon scrubber hung inside with an inline fan pulling air through the filter and out through a light hood, and out of the tent through a baffle that exhausts to the attic. Fresh air is pulled through a mesh screen on the side of the grow tent, into the tent, where it is sucked into the filter. Currently, I have a 1000w MH at 50% on a dimmable ballast running 24 hours a day for veg. The ballast is outside the grow tent. My temps are about 73-75 at night and 79-83 during the day, but with this setup always pulling air through the grow tent, it's hard to raise relative humidity higher than 31% when it gets hot even with a humidifier in the grow room. I'm looking for ideas. I thought of using a humidifier constantly, putting one fan on a thermostat that will vent the air in the grow room above 85 degrees, and the other inline fan cooling the light constantly. Can anyone help? My little plants are starting to show signs of stress. It's really dry in LA. Could I mist the plants with water? If it continues to remain arid, should I water every day instead of every other day? [/quote]hi. if you do your light with outside air and use a small fan for ventilation the humidity prob will go away. you knew it too.Mjhttp://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1269823-This-old-Hippies-Organic-Garden.This old Hippies Organic Garden.

4. spray the walls of your tent with water a couple times a day for a quick solution that doesn't take up space, cost anything, or burn your plants with lights on. don't spray the leaves the water droplets magnify the light and will burn holes through your leaves.

5. If you have Tupperware containers that are longer an shallow you can line the floor with them. Also can hang wet wash clothes. Its a pain but it will work if you keep up with it. Sent from my SCH-I605 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. Wow, so many great ideas! Thanks all! 

I've read a lot of different stuff about actually misting the leaves. Some say it will burn holes, others say that's not true, some say to use a wetting agent like castile soap or foliar feed anyway (i have some liquid light and gold range saturator I haven't used yet). Since my lights are on 24-7, and the plants are still are about four weeks from seed in early vegetative stage I guess I'll try misting the free plants I got with my seed order that I'm practicing on and see what happens.

The light is about sixteen inches from the plants. I bet I could go lower, since the air cooled hood keeps the temps so low I can touch the glass and it's pleasantly warm. 

Even with a humidifier in the grow room, it's still at 30-40% depending on temps. I think I'm going to take Marvajuana's advice and intake air from a box on the outside of the tent to cool the light hood and put my other fan on a thermostat to evacuate air when the temps rise too high. Anybody have suggestions on a temperature controlled fan switch that is less than $50?