Humbolt CH9 - Usain HumBolt 300w LED

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by amoebassassin, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Day 23

The plant is looking more robust. The root system seems the be the thing that is growing most right now. I have been misting the plant daily. Looks great.

The smell was an issue again yesterday and my wife asked me to "investigate" the pot smell. I fiddled around with my air system again today and found out that the cabinet was not completely sealed. So my DIY carbon filter was working BUT because there were spaces the air from the cabinet was just going around it...I sealed the gaps with some insulation and now it seems that most all of the air is making it's way out. Regardless I went ahead and splurged on a carbon scrubber. I don't want any of our guests to smell or even get the idea that there is marijuana in the house. I will need something extra anyway for when I am curing the finished crop.

[​IMG]

2. The key is negative pressure inside your box.

3. Thanks for the tip. So I've been looking at some other images online of Humboldt CH9 and they are a lot taller. I've read that the grow light should be started up high and then lowered but I did the process backwards. I'm a little concerned that the plant is dwarfed and will not flower correctly....It's a shorty...

4. HAHAHA! Dude, you're playing with fire, in my opinion. Sneaking a pot grow in a speaker box, with a wife that goes to church and doesn't know about it, YET! You should set up video cameras to capture the moment when she catches on. That would be brilliant reality TV! But that's neither here, nor there....

Politics aside, if you can smell it already, you're REALLY gonna smell it when she starts to flower, and for 2 months. Then you have to harvest, dry, and cure for another couple months, so you're talking a good 4-6 months of smelling weed in your house.

Conclusion: You need a high-end carbon filter, not a DIY, save money solution. Not a cheap eBay solution. You're gonna need to drop around two hundy for a proper carbon filter, and a suitable fan. Even with that, there's gonna be some residual odor, you'll be opening the door on that thing daily... Get Ona, or an ozone generator (on a timer!!) for the room.

http://www.greners.com/i/fans-ventilation-filters/filters-odor/carbon-filters.html

Good luck with the marriage, and the grow!

5. LOL. yeah. im almost 100% sure that she will flip. I will be relieved once I get it out into the open. i hate having to sneak around. i bought @ 192cfm fan 4". It has some good ratings and for the size of the cab is great.

6. [quote name='"Original Past"']HAHAHA! Dude, you're playing with fire, in my opinion. Sneaking a pot grow in a speaker box, with a wife that goes to church and doesn't know about it, YET! You should set up video cameras to capture the moment when she catches on. That would be brilliant reality TV! But that's neither here, nor there....

Politics aside, if you can smell it already, you're REALLY gonna smell it when she starts to flower, and for 2 months. Then you have to harvest, dry, and cure for another couple months, so you're talking a good 4-6 months of smelling weed in your house.

Conclusion: You need a high-end carbon filter, not a DIY, save money solution. Not a cheap eBay solution. You're gonna need to drop around two hundy for a proper carbon filter, and a suitable fan. Even with that, there's gonna be some residual odor, you'll be opening the door on that thing daily... Get Ona, or an ozone generator (on a timer!!) for the room.

http://www.greners.com/i/fans-ventilation-filters/filters-odor/carbon-filters.html

Good luck with the marriage, and the grow![/quote]

Agreed, your wife might end up curing your balls in the same jars! Lol

7. damn guys. you makr me sound like im in for it. have you had any past experiences with girlfriends or such? i hope that she looks as it as a hobby and not in a complete negative light.

8. [quote name='"amoebassassin"']damn guys. you makr me sound like im in for it. have you had any past experiences with girlfriends or such? i hope that she looks as it as a hobby and not in a complete negative light.[/quote]

Do you have children? If so she has a maternal instinct and she will throw you the curb with out even hesitating. She's asking you to investigate, checkmate man...

9. Yeah, we have a young one and another on the way. My rational is that if she blows it up and tries to get anyone else involved (police for example) then she is fucking us both over as well as our kids. If I end up in jail it's over, which is why I'm not dealing or trying to buy from anyone period.

10. Thanks for the tips and encouragement bro! I'm already looking into modifying my growing area. The cabinet that I have was a stealthy idea at first but when I go balls out and tell my wife there is not going to be any need to really hide it.

I will try to record the audio conversation at least. HAHA.

11. [quote name='"amoebassassin"']

Yeah, we have a young one and another on the way. My rational is that if she blows it up and tries to get anyone else involved (police for example) then she is fucking us both over as well as our kids. If I end up in jail it's over, which is why I'm not dealing or trying to buy from anyone period.[/quote]

Good call, didn't mean no disrespect just how things have gone down for many dudes I know but they all sold.... I too do it for my self, but also for my wife which we both agreed to do so no secrets there. Hope things work out in your favor, hell maybe she might even take some hits after she's done breast feeding and such.

P.s. good luck on the audio lol

12. True. No offense taken. :) How did your wife take it at first? Did she know right away that you were going to grow, did she find out, or did you tell her during the grow?

13. [quote name='"amoebassassin"']True. No offense taken. :) How did your wife take it at first? Did she know right away that you were going to grow, did she find out, or did you tell her during the grow?[/quote]

We both have health issues so we both smoke and enjoy the stone at the same time, so we both agreed to it but she has no part in the growing/flowering process until harvest ;) then we both tag team the ladies lol.

14. Man that's cool that you both can be in agreement. I am doing this grow for health reasons too but I don't think that she would see eye to eye on that reasoning.

Anyway, today I figured out another part of the odor problem in my grow room. The room (a closet in the basement) has several large gaps in between the beams on the ceiling. The smell was creeping out of the grow cabinet, out of the gaps in the ceilings, and into the main venting. Even though it was faint there was a distinct smell of marijuana. I sealed the gaps tonight with some fiberglass insulation and gave it a few minutes. Virtually no smell outside of the room.

As far as Usain goes, I moved the light up about 8" and the plant is thankfully starting to stretch towards it. I am about 10 days away from flipping to 12/12.

[​IMG]

15. Keep the light as close as you can. If you can hold the back of the hand under the light and not feel discomfort at the top of the plant your golden. Especially with cfl's you can and need to have them super close to get the most of what you have.

To be honest for me and my wife it's just easier to tell each other everything... No secrets keeps fights to a minimum lol and it just makes a marriage easier and better to be truthful and honest. My two cents anyways.

16. I splurged and bought a 4" inline fan with a carbon filter and WOW. For the first time I can really say that I can't smell a thing. It's like the air is fresh from outside. My wife is going to love not having to smell that faint smell of pot.

To me there is absolutely no comparison to trying to make a DIY. The sheer size of the filter alone is worth the price of how much cheap pet carbon a person would buy.

I'm very happy that the stealthiness is back in action! :hello:

17. True. I know that finances are the number one reason for divorce but I'm sure that failure to communicate is up there as well. I'm really honest with my wife, just not about this one yet. I am holding back mostly because I don't want her to have added stress on the baby. I'm not sure how she would react.

18. [quote name='"amoebassassin"']

True. I know that finances are the number one reason for divorce but I'm sure that failure to communicate is up there as well. I'm really honest with my wife, just not about this one yet. I am holding back mostly because I don't want her to have added stress on the baby. I'm not sure how she would react.[/quote]

Good call, she might even think the smell that the plants give off will harm the child... (which is totally not possible) that would really complicate things. Anyways glad you got the smell issue fixed, carbon filters are the only way to go. How are things working out with your system?

19. Day 27

The Humboldlt is looking like a small bush. Haha. I am trying to stretch out the plant more so that the light can better penetrate the bottom area. I have the four 28w CFLs, two on each side, to hit the bottoms. I've been reading some about tying the plant together to get better results. What do you think? I'd rather just let her grow free!

[​IMG]

One more week and I start the 12/12. Thankfully the other plant sharing light is a Auto flower Northern Lights. I may take it out of the cabinet and let the Aerogarden hoods hit it 24 hours a day and use the LED solely for flowering the Humbolt.

[​IMG]

20. Tonight after work I went ahead and moved the entire grow operation to a new location. I'm going to let my wife know this Christmas weekend that I've been growing my own marijuana.

I have staged the new setup inside an old shelf which is much easier to access but about 3x less stealthy. The light seeped out everywhere and there is no easy way to make a door to cover the grow. Right now I just hung some mylar everwhere to keep the light somewhat contained.

BTW I really am concerned with how Usain looks. The plant is really squished. I only have myself to blame. I kept the LED light so close to it the first 3 weeks. I laughed when I finally was able to take a look at it from eye level. It looked like Mr. Stinky from Seseme Street. All BS aside I love the little plant and I'm sure that it will turn out ok.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]