Humboldt Seed Company DREAM QUEEN Outdoor 2020

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by 40DegreesNorthCalifornia, May 15, 2020.

1. #1 40DegreesNorthCalifornia, May 15, 2020
    Last edited: May 15, 2020
    Well I picked up these seeds a little late this season. I paid $116.50 for a 20 pack of regular seeds from the Queen of Dragons dispensary. Fair deal for quality seeds. I also bought a 10 pack of feminized Humboldt Seed Company (which I will refer to as HSC from this point on) Blueberry Muffin seeds for the same price, but I'm not going to pop the Blueberry Muffins until I finish my grow room build this summer. I'm turning my 21 foot by 23 foot garage into a flower room but it needs a lot of work first.

Anyway, these Dream Queen seeds are Green Crack crossed with Mazar Star (a Mazar I Sharif phenotype) and Skunk #1.

(not to be confused with Dream Queen from a different breeder, which is Blue Dream x Space Queen)

I have no idea why Nat Pennington, the head breeder and founder of HSC, used the same name.

All 20 seeds went into moist paper towels and within 2 days 19 out of 20 popped open and were planted 1/2' deep in Aurora Innovations 707 soil in 5 inch pots. The last seed was in the paper towels for 4 days with no success so I gave it a gentle squeeze until the shell cracked open a hair, then I put it back in the towels. 24 hours later it had a nice little spike root growing, so it went into the 707 soil as well.

Within 2 days sprouts started pushing out of the soil, and finally yesterday all but 2 of them were up and growing. Since a few days had passed without the last two seedlings surfacing, I decide to gently excavate each pot to see the status of the last two. Sometimes seedlings push out of their shells below the surface and they cant physically penetrate the soil so they just stop growing. Sometimes they grow in odd circular patterns if they're planted with the root spike facing up instead of down... and sometimes they just rot in the soil for whatever reason. Usually pest related. Sometimes a little bastard gets in there and gnaws at the root or the coteldyons or even the minuscule leaflets between the coteldyons, and the seedling dies before it can reach the surface.

So what I found is that both seeds had shed their shell before reaching the surface. I gently pushed the soil covering them away from the coteldyons and let them have some fresh air and sunshine. 24 hours later and both look like they'll make it just fine.

So 20 out of 20 seeds germinated (with an asterisk because I actually popped one open myself), and 20 out of 20 hit the surface (again with an asterisk because I excavated the soil and exposed the seedlings by hand).

Even without my help it was a 95% germination rate and a 90% seedling rate. Not bad at all.

One thing I like about HSC is they write the date the seeds are packed on the back of their packaging. These were packed March 2020. The Blueberry Muffins were packed April 2020. Fresh seeds.

So the seedlings are off to a good start. Three months later than I would like, but shit happens. I have some pretty large Sour Banana Sherbet seed plants going in the ground soon, and some Zookies, Grape Ape, and Pink Champagne clones, which all look good. The Sour Banana plants are a little too big for my taste but I can keep them topped and trellised.

I'm excited about these Dream Queens though. They're supposed to be giant yielding plants that come off early. By September 15th. I love pheno hunting new genetics.

Unfortunately these kids wont even show sex until around July 1st so they're going into 5 gallon GroPro containers then when they show their private parts the girls are going into 45 gallon Smart Pots.

I will be posting a couple times a week as these chitlins grow up. A proper grow journal.

So now some photos... we all love the eye candy. 20200505_153027.jpg 20200505_153042.jpg 20200505_165902.jpg 20200514_165009.jpg 20200514_165017.jpg 20200510_203837.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Grasscity Forum mobile app