Human Rights

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by stoned_soldier, Jul 1, 2010.

1. The state of the world has got me thinking. What is a human right, anyway? Different states, nations, republics, have differing laws regarding the rights of humans. Can't we agree on basic human rights? And even within a single country, there are amendments and changes to those rights, and sacrifices that are circumstantial (martial law, for example). So my question to all of you is: What are the basic rights that you would consider to be inalienable human rights? Obviously we have borders set up to racially or religiously discriminate and refuse entry and to mistreat other human beings (Mexican "aliens", for example). People are not cattle and we shouldn't have to live in a world where the North is rich and rapes the South. It can't go on for another century.

So, I pose to you all, what are these rights? And don't just copy your beloved Constitution and say that they're all in there because you and I know that you're regurgitating propaganda and I really don't want to read it. What are you pure, unadulterated thoughts on what these rights should be?

I'll start it off:

- The right to adequate living space.
    - The right to access to potable water.
    - The right to basic health supplies free of charge.
    - The right to a happy life AND happy death.

2. im not sure about your rights but i would go with something that is close:
    -right to life
    -right to happiness
    -right of free choice (within limits of protecting others rights)

really all these human rights things are all based on your moral standing and your culture. it really doesnt matter what i think because it will always be wrong to someone else, but we are all full of opinions.

3. #3 Greenrocket, Jul 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2010
    Its possible to create a list of Human rights that are as fair as we can comprehend.

The hard part is being able to enforce those rights if they are not respected, without abusing their human rights.

4. The right to not give a fuck. :D