human language and the meaning of life

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by of montreal, Apr 4, 2011.

1. this has been on my mind lately. the meaning of life, isn't in any form we can understand. there is no sentence in english or any human language that sums up the meaning of the universe. we don't have any of the words necessary. our intelligence is limited to our language, and our language is centered solely around survival on earth. we don't know what the universe is, we don't know what anything is. the concept of 'meaning' is a human invention. 'meaning' was developed so we could survive. it means nothing outside of our subjective, human experience. even if there was one, i doubt it could be summed up by some guttural noises made by a bunch of parasitic meat sacks. right?

2. humm...
    hmm..
    humm...

3. Hmmm never looked at it this way...but your probably right..

4. language is an expression of the mind agreed upon by multiple communicators. the real problem is not that we have a system of communication, but in the definitions. we have a word for everything, so anyone can make up words to describe any greater spirituality they feel they understand... but in doing so, they will be asked to define their own word using other words. i know of no reason to believe that is impossible, but the amount of agreement implied by it makes it seem almost impossible.

enough that when people say "you can't put it into words" it's obvious in the present and quite likely in the remaining future without being absolutely impossible.

as for the meaning of life, a phrase persists in my thinking for as long as i have been considering it: the question is the answer. which, of course, is completely unsatisfying. but i can't think of anything better.

5. How bout you shut the fuck up for once?

Maybe you'll understand then

6. sentences
    words
    letters
    numerals
    numbers
    characters
    symbols
    cave paintings
    grunts
    thoughts
    nothing

it always goes all the way back to a big fat nothing.

7. Words are not necessary to understand, to know. Words are necessary to describe what we understand, what we know. Words are simply a way for our ego mind to express what our consciousness knows.

Well, at least thats what I think.

8. Where are those vibes at :D

9. k dude

10. #10 Kardredor, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2011
    What he's saying is that the meaning of life is whatever you make it. Listen to your Self.

Which btw, why do we call consciousness a Self if we call the ego a self and we avoid it? Our consciousnesses have to be individuated somehow.