Hugelkultur Beds for low maintenance and low watering

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Jayce23, Apr 11, 2016.

?

Have you heard of Hugelkultur before?

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  3. Yes but think its for hippies

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Yes and I've tried it

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. I'm starting a hugelkultur bed in front of my chicken coop for sunflowers, grape vines and some pollinator friendly groundcover. From the research I've been doing this is an earth friendly, low maintenance way to prep and maintain low water organic outdoor beds. See the multiple applications?! I'll post some pics and links to explain it and monitor progress for any andall who may be interested.

A few links, for those who may be interested:
    Permaculture Magazine
    The Art and Science of Making a Hugelkultur Bed - Transforming Woody Debris into a Garden Resource - The Permaculture Research Institute
    Hügelkultur - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Keepin it green in the great white north.

• Like Like x 2
  2. A few pics:
    image.jpeg

Here you can see a few larger diameter logs layered with smaller sticks and branches then covered with leaves and compost.

Attached Files:

3. image.jpeg Next, an addition of well rotted manure and some top soil.

4. image.jpeg

Here you can see garlic that was planted in the fall poking through.

5. image.jpeg A new bed that I started today:

Spent a few hours digging it out and will be dragging in logs tomorrow, hopefully.

6. IL try this one a few holes around my patch today if I can . Is it OK to use bark and wood from pines ?

----------------------------------
    there's certain accidents where you may be drunk and on drugs.
    but it's going to happen weather you are or your not
    -Ricky

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pine is a tricky. If you're planning to plant this year ANY well rotted log will act as a water reservoir. Including pine. Fresh pine, no. It has some inhibitory action.
    Ask me anything I love talking about this stuff!!!

one. If you

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thx I found some others so many rotten logs around my plot l. Let you know how she goes

----------------------------------
    there's certain accidents where you may be drunk and on drugs.
    but it's going to happen weather you are or your not
    -Ricky

• Like Like x 1
  9. Awesome!!! Excited to hear your results.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I am running 12 cannabis plants using Hugelkultur this year. I'm tweaking the method a little but hoping for great results. I looked around the web for people growing weed using the method and couldn't find anything.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Do you have a grow journal going? I'd love to see pics and hear any thoughts and experiences you've had with it. Excited to hear about someone putting this into practice!

12. No, no journal yet this year. I was considering starting one, but I read somewhere a Hugelkultur bed doesn't produce well the first year and thought it would be a dud. I may add updates here if that's cool with you. I plan on digging my beds 2 foot below the ground and ending 2-foot above ground. Also the borders of the beds will be made with logs. I started researching this because I recently installed a water softener, making my well water unusable. I was hoping watering would be very minimal with this type of setup.

• Like Like x 1
  13. No, no journal yet this year. I was considering starting one, but I read somewhere a Hugelkultur bed doesn't produce well the first year and thought it would be a dud. I may add updates here if that's cool with you. I plan on digging my beds 2 foot below the ground and ending 2-foot above ground. Also the borders of the beds will be made with logs. I started researching this because I recently installed a water softener, making my well water unusable. I was hoping watering would be very minimal with this type of setup.

14. No, no journal yet this year. I was considering starting one, but I read somewhere a Hugelkultur bed doesn't produce well the first year and thought it would be a dud. I may add updates here if that's cool with you. I plan on digging my beds 2 foot below the ground and ending 2-foot above ground. Also the borders of the beds will be made with logs. I started researching this because I recently installed a water softener, making my well water unusable. I was hoping watering would be very minimal with this type of setup.

15. No, no journal yet this year. I was considering starting one, but I read somewhere a Hugelkultur bed doesn't produce well the first year and thought it would be a dud. I may add updates here if that's cool with you. I plan on digging my beds 2 foot below the ground and ending 2-foot above ground. Also the borders of the beds will be made with logs. I started researching this because I recently installed a water softener, making my well water unusable. I was hoping watering would be very minimal with this type of setup.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Great! Please do update here

• Like Like x 1
  17. Wow quadruple post haha that's a new record I think

• Like Like x 2
  18. image.jpg image.jpg Construction of my Hugelkultur bed began today. I think I'll have it completed within a week.

• Like Like x 3
  19. You're inspiring me!!! I've started digging one for my grape vines etc and I've scouted a spot to start one for next spring ;)

20. image.jpeg

Hugelkultur bed I've dug down 2ft by 2ft by 7ft. Collect logs this afternoon if the weather holds.

• Like Like x 1